SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many hunters
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many hunters Login/Join 
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
Not as much as I would like to! I never grew up hunting, it wasn't until high school that I really got into it, with friends of course. I've hunted every opportunity since (20 years ! Eek) I LOVE to hunt!

Started with upland game, waterfowl and varmint, then big game, mostly deer. Don't consider whistle pigs & coyote "hunting" much anymore, although in college I did a bunch, especially when their pelts are nice. After college it was strictly dove & snipe when we lived in Texas. Moving back home to Idaho I really only go for big game anymore, with the occasional grouse when up north. I focus on deer & elk now. I'd love to get into archery, but the months of August & September are literally the busiest of the entire year (I work in higher ed), so there isn't really any way I can take that much time off during bow season.

Having 2 kids under the age of 3 has put a serious halt to that, but am looking forward to introducing my kids to it here soon. My daughter told me last weekend that she wants to go hunting with daddy this fall. Big Grin

I named my son Hunter, go figure...

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
German Wirehaired Pointer owner here. I love watching a dog work. Unfortunately, we have very few pheasants anymore here in southern Michigan even though we manage our property for upland bird habitat. We are on the far north edge of quail range so quail hunting is pretty hit or miss. No dove hunting as the HSUS got it banned via referendum after one season.

Most of my hunting anymore is deer hunting which I can do out my back door. I have to travel 3 hours north to get into partridge or woodcock.

We do have ducks and geese but I'm not a big waterfowl hunter.

Brad my current dog and best friend is a German Wirehair. Different personality from my previous German dogs.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I was an avid hunter for decades. Upland birds, ducks and geese, deer and elk, rabbits, black bear, etc. Health issues and not having hunting buddies any more pretty much ended it for me. I miss it but it was time to hang it up.

Funny, but I still have all of my hunting rifles and shotguns and I'm just going to hang on to them. A lot of great memories wrapped up in them.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
It was practically a genetic thing with me from my Father's side. My ancestors and I grew up in rural environments, and in times when hunting was simply a given out of necessity.

For reasons very much like Jimbo54's I also haven't hunted in several years, but I do miss it.

Over time I got pretty decent at filling my deer tags, but if I were given truth serum I'd probably say that grouse hunting was my favorite.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been hunting since I was a teenager. First dove & quail, then deer. Didn't start waterfowl hunting until my early 30's - but it has turned into my passion. Most years I spend 25+ days in the field chasing ducks.

Posts: 367 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I hunt dove, and there is quail on my new property. I also hunt hog, and would like to hunt deer, but deer are scarce in Central Florida. Part of that is climate and terrain, and part is relentless poaching.

Hog are plentiful in certain areas, but they move about. If you have them, you probably have a lot of them.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Deer hunter here, and some small game also. I used to quail hunt but thanks to the coyotes and foxes and feral cats, there are no quail left in my area.
I'm starting to coyote hunt now, and there is no closed season on them so I can hunt them year round. Maybe it'll make a difference in the deer populations. It's been hit hard around here over the past few years.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've hunted, and harvested, nearly everything legal in the lower 48 for pretty much my entire life.

Lately, though, I've gotten to a point where I really don't care if I take anything. I'm happy just to spend a day out in the woods. Truth be told, I'd rather not kill anything as I don't much care for the work involved dragging them out anymore.

I took up bow hunting back in the early 80s. I used to love it as I found it far more challenging than rifle hunting. Lately though, I've considered giving it up. I have no problem with the kills, and certainly have no problem eating the kills, but I've gotten to the point where I want my kills to be quick and relatively painless. I can't begin to count the number of animals I've taken with my bow, but none of them were quick. I've just begun to think that it's not all that humane. I don't know. I may hang it up soon.

I do love to get out though. And, if I had to choose one thing to hunt from here on at the exclusion of the others, it would be birds. I just enjoy the snot out of bird hunting with or without a dog.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hunted quite a bit in my younger days and hunting is a huge deal here in the Yoop. But the technology has kinda spoiled it for me. Rifles, ammo, optics and gear have advanced to such a degree that it seems more about the tech than the stalk. The whole thing with "scent control" seems over the top to me. And living in an apartment limits my ability to store venison.
That said, I may try out predator hunting. Seems fun and helps the deer herd too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never hunted. At this point I likely never will. There's more wildlife in my yard than in the forest.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt, and never have, but I am not an anti-hunter. My dad was a bird hunter and always wanted me to go with him, but I didn't want to kill anything. I would probably have enjoyed walking the fields with him as he hunted, but I knew that he'd not be satisfied with that so I didn't go. And I'm very squeamish and got sick helping him clean the pheasants he brought home. My dad never did any target shooting--every shot (except for one or two for sighting in) had to bring home meat--so I didn't do any shooting at all as a child. When I entered USAF I was required to qualify with a handgun, and eventually managed to do so (long story). I developed a liking for target shooting handguns, which I still have. Some years ago I thought I'd be able to hunt varmints, because they aren't cleaned for the table. I have very strong ethics about hunting and I believe that if one shoots a creature for the table, one has to do the cleaning for cooking also--I wouldn't feel right about having someone else clean my kill.

I do eat meat that has been raised as such and prepared by butchers--there are many people who have those occupations as their primary livelihood and it does not bother me to avail myself of their work.

Yes, I am one of those who will just die off if SHTF and food is not available on the shelves. At age 79 I'm willing to live with that option.

I enjoy associating with hunters and envy them their abilities. They are better men than I.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I am so excited for this year's annual pheasant hunt. For the first time, I'll have a bird dog of my ow, Moses, named in honor of JMB. In fact, he's coming home from the trainer on Saturday. We'll spend the summer chasing birds in the field behind my house getting ready!

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted April 26, 2017 05:00 PM Hide Post
I am so excited for this year's annual pheasant hunt. For the first time, I'll have a bird dog of my ow, Moses, named in honor of JMB. In fact, he's coming home from the trainer on Saturday. We'll spend the summer chasing birds in the field behind my house getting ready!

That great! hat breed did you get?

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid I'm more king of the wild front lawn than the wild frontier. My brother does love hunting and fishing.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Somewhere between frequently and occasionally. What and when depends on what decade it is, if life has gotten in the way and what other hobbies have popped up. I used to do a lot more theoretical hunting, bumming around the woods, theoretically hunting what was in season, usually not shooting them when I had the chance. A combination of high gas prices followed by unreliable transportation, then USPSA/3 gun kept me out of the woods a lot for the last ten years, not counting my yearly weeks vacation pretending to deer hunt. Starting to go a little more now though.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I grew up hunting. We lived in a sparsely populated unincorporated rural a area with easy access to all sorts of hunting, fishing, trapping camping and just walking and plinking. I mainly hunted upland birds and mammals, and dove. I didn't get into larger animals until later.

I still love to hunt, but it's expensive in Texas. You either have to pay heavily for a lease or know someone that has accessible land. I usually still get out for an annual dove hunt or, as these can be done for $40 - $50 for a day lease, and now and again for deer/hogs when I get an invite from someone with land, or get invited to some corporate outing.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I take 1 deer a year started a few years back.
When my boys get older I hope to hunt birds with them. We lost our GSD in September when it is time for another pup it will be a lab I hope to train.
I recently joined a Sportsmans Association that has a bird dog group that assists with training. Hope to utilize that group.
I don't see myself expanding much further than that. We have an ever expanding black bear population with quite a few on my property.
But dang the season is short and right around Christmas so it is balls cold.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Chicago and no one in my family hunted and no one I knew hunted, so I never got into it.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Hunted and fished as youngster.
Started as my dad's bird dog when he hunted dove.
Have hunted deer, elk, dove, turkey, hogs, quail, squirrel, rabbit, coyotes, city dump rats and javilina.
Pretty much limited to deer, elk and dove now.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
Living in Kansas I love to hunt every chance I have. Here is my hunting partner.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post