SIGforum
Anyone know anything about Abilene. TX?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5400061644

August 23, 2018, 11:13 AM
2000Z-71
Anyone know anything about Abilene. TX?
May have a temporary work assignment taking me to Abilene. I know nothing about the area except it looks like it's smack dab in the middle of Texas, 2 hours from Dallas and flatter than Kansas.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.
August 23, 2018, 11:23 AM
tatortodd
I used to live in Midkand in late 90s and visited Abilene several times back then. My buddy drives thru several times a year on his way to his cabin in the NM Mountains and I put his Abilene restaurant recommendation in this thread: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...280070824#5280070824

Here is another thread: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...070028634#7070028634

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
August 23, 2018, 11:31 AM
TXJIM
Hendrick or Regional?

August 23, 2018, 11:39 AM
TXJIM
As far as the town, it's really not a bad place. Small town feel. Plenty of restaurants, movie theaters, etc. Home to Abilene Christian where they field a D1 baseball program and other college sports. Clean, no/low crime. A lot worse places to spend some time. Given where you live, the climate will be pretty similar except it will get a bit colder in the winter.

August 23, 2018, 11:45 AM
FlyingScot
Disclaimer, don't live there but have a buddy who runs the C130J simulator and lives there.

They like it, generally nice and small town feel as mentioned. Better than Lubbock, but can still get hail, tornadoes, locusts and heat - those extremes can and do happen. They love it, and not entirely as flat as further west Texas. Any specific questions I'd be happy to pass on and get answered.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb
August 23, 2018, 11:58 AM
HayesGreener
Have been there several times in the past for Cowboy Action shoots, thought the folks were friendly and the restaurants Texas.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)
August 23, 2018, 12:25 PM
Johnny 3eagles
The women there, they don't treat you mean, in Abilene.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
August 23, 2018, 12:49 PM
texassierra
I live in the DFW area and lately I've been seeing quite a few commercials promoting Abilene tourism. Frankly, I'm not really sure why they would advertise in the DFW area but I gotta say the commercials are quite sad. Nothing in them make me say "I've got to head to Abilene to see that".

NRA Life Patron
August 23, 2018, 01:12 PM
arfmel
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
The women there, they don't treat you mean, in Abilene.

Prettiest town I’ve ever seen...
August 23, 2018, 02:38 PM
sigspecops
All I know about Abilene is that’s where CDNN is located. I suppose you could kill some time browsing there.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
August 23, 2018, 02:57 PM
rockchalk06
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
flatter than Kansas.

I assume you have never been to the Flint Hills or Medicine Lodge Area?
August 23, 2018, 03:01 PM
PD
I stayed in Abilene because I didn’t want to stay in Sweetwater. I remember a fantastic steak house but I can’t recall the name. Maybe someone can refresh my memory. It was nothing fancy but the cuts where insane.
August 23, 2018, 03:07 PM
cyanide357
Just beware of the Abilene paradox!
August 23, 2018, 03:31 PM
jhe888
I was born in Abilene. It is West Texas all the way, despite looking like it is more central. Oil and cattle. More oil than cattle. It is about 2 hours from everything.

Dyess AFB is there.

It is a fine place, and the people are good, but there isn't much happening.

Hot, dry and flat.

The Perini Ranch is said to grill a superior steak. It is in Buffalo Gap, 10 miles out of Abilene itself.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
August 23, 2018, 05:04 PM
egregore
I know little about it, only having passed through the area in 1990 on my way to somewhere else, but it's got to be better than "the 'rez.'" Big Grin
August 23, 2018, 05:53 PM
HayesGreener
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I was born in Abilene. It is West Texas all the way, despite looking like it is more central. Oil and cattle. More oil than cattle. It is about 2 hours from everything.

Dyess AFB is there.

It is a fine place, and the people are good, but there isn't much happening.

Hot, dry and flat.

The Perini Ranch is said to grill a superior steak. It is in Buffalo Gap, 10 miles out of Abilene itself.

Don't forget the wind that never stops!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)
August 23, 2018, 05:56 PM
StorminNormin
Been to Abilene many times, but never lived there. It is not a bad town, but there is not a lot there.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
August 23, 2018, 05:56 PM
bobtheelf
Sweet Eileen's in Abilene.
She forgot I hung the moon.
August 23, 2018, 06:12 PM
dewhorse
Better hotel prices than Odessa or Midland...as in a Quality Inn in Odessa or Midland are $300 a night, I assume it's due to the oil guys staying there.

Driven through several times only stayed a couple time, it's WTX....windy hot .....windy and hot

People seem nice
August 23, 2018, 06:32 PM
djinco
I had some ice cream there one Sunday.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member