SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shadows & photoshop picture merging
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shadows & photoshop picture merging Login/Join 
posted
In the video in the link, as the light source moves around, craters are partially shown.

https://d2r55xnwy6nx47.cloudfr...022/04/desktop-1.mp4

I have read somewhere of a technique to merge several photos together to get the crater to be completely seen. Can this be done with photoshop?

Anyone recall what I'm describing?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, after googling for two hours, finding nothing, I posted this topic.

Then I recalled a phrase to search. I think I found the original article I mentioned.

https://petapixel.com/2020/04/...ts-from-every-phase/

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has led me to an idea...

NON-contact imaging of worn grave markers.

I was thinking of placing a tripod in front of the stone at night. Recording a video of the stone with a dim flashlight (perhaps 100 lumen?) moved around the perimeter of the stone casting shadow of it's texture.

With that recording, extracting snapshots to be placed onto layers in photoshop where they can be merged. My hope is that the text will be revealed with this method.

Any thoughts or tips with this idea would be appreciated as I'm open to suggestions for success with this idea.

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
There is photo processing software that does edge detection which may help show the outlines of letters on your gravestones.

Posts: 6459 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Student of Weapons Craft
Picture of Exodus
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you're looking for HDR (High Dynamic Range). It can be done in Photoshop - it's under File -> Automate -> Merge to HDR Pro.

You bring in two (or more) photos taken at different exposures and merge them together to create the effect you're looking for as well as many others.

Posts: 259 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the suggestions and info

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
A technique called exposure stacking might do what you want?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'm on the right track. On this website, about half way down, they mentioned using software to enhance a photo to reveal the engravings.

https://cemeteryconservatorsun....org/reading-stones/

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
What's more important to you, the pictures or identifying the words/names?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pictures of just the stones without text are worthless. Goal is to document the location and inscriptions before they are lost due to time and wear.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post