SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Olives.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Olives. Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I’m used to olives as being black or green. Sometimes stuffed. I’ve had named olives like kalamata.

But now I’ve noticed all kinds of varieties at the market. Some are too salty as prepared. But some are amazing. I can eat them non-stop.

My current favorites include castelvetrano green and large black cerignola. Mild yet flavorful with a meaty texture.

I’m on an olive kick now.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12763 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Growing up all I knew was two kinds: black out of a can and green out of a jar. Went to Europe with the military and discovered there’s way more to olives than that and globalization over the past 25 years or so has really changed that too.

My favorites are the oil cured black olives and the bright green ones as well as Kalamata. Still chow down on the good old canned black and jarred green ones too.

Posts: 33902 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Good too as they are low in carbs and have good monounsaturated fat.

Reduce that when consumed in vodka. Frown

Posts: 22955 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I like jalapeno stuffed olives.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I like jalapeno stuffed olives.

Green olive Smile Although it does sound good.

I'm getting the olives in kind of an olive bar; they are not in jars / cans.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12763 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I’m used to olives as being black or green. Sometimes stuffed. I’ve had named olives like kalamata.

But now I’ve noticed all kinds of varieties at the market. Some are too salty as prepared. But some are amazing. I can eat them non-stop.

My current favorites include castelvetrano green and large black cerignola. Mild yet flavorful with a meaty texture.

I’m on an olive kick now.

I really enjoy olives, but have to watch my sodium intake. How do your favorite compare in regards to sodium content ?

Isaiah 6:8

Posts: 618 | Location: Salisbury | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Tassos double stuffed jalapeno/garlic green olives have become my favorite olives for martinis. I buy them at Costco.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BradleyS:
I really enjoy olives, but have to watch my sodium intake. How do your favorite compare in regards to sodium content ?

I like the natural taste of ingredients so I tend to not to use a lot of salt/sugar, just enough to perhaps enhance.

There are some olive choices that were way too salty for me. Almost inedible. Some silician olive style - i don't think the olives themselves were salty, just the brine they used.

The ones I like are only mildly salty for me. The natural flavor of the olive seems to come through nicely. These a hint of salt but I wouldn't call it salty.

I need to pay more attention - I think the labels all have the same amount of sodium content. But the saltiness varies very dramatically.

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I can pound kalamata olives til I’m sick. They’re getting expensive now of course.

Posts: 13748 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was at the store yesterday and the olive section was damn near empty. Eek

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I love Queen Olives from Publix. I love making Martinis with them.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Use the salty ones as a form of salt.
Cook up hamburger patties for burgers.
Meanwhile dice up some olives and mix w/ a little of your choice of mayo and spread generously on top of the burger.
Add tomato and lettuce for your pleasure.

I've been cutting back on red meat but did this a few weeks ago and I forgot how good an olive burger can be.

Posts: 7386 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Tassos double stuffed jalapeno/garlic green olives have become my favorite olives for martinis.

Super Mammoth? I’ll have to try those.

Konata88, those Castelveltrano, are those the bright green ones? I’ve been meaning to try those also. What are they like?

I love all kinds. Haven’t had a type I don’t like yet. My favorite are Kalamata. I have a jar of just the brine left in the fridge and use a little of that and a little olive oil for salad dressing. Fresh and zesty tasting.

Posts: 17232 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
They are a green similar in color to the above Tasso I think, but the shape is different. Smaller, less oval.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
For those saying they’re “too salty”, I don’t think you can have an edible olive without salt. Olives off the tree are bitter and inedible and need to be cured/preserved with salt to make edible.

Posts: 33902 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Black olives matter.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15913 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I love olives. Used to get Graber Olives, man they were good.

https://www.graberolives.com/

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8535 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Black olives matter.

LMFAO....best one I've heard in a month !

Posts: 936 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I like potato salad to be half potato salad and half spanish olives. Yummy!

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kalamata are the best, but then again I'm greek and grew up eating the things.

Posts: 124 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post