SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    how NOT to utilize google play store but still download apps??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how NOT to utilize google play store but still download apps?? Login/Join 
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted
Hello, I have a new cell and am trying to avoid using google and tracking sites as much as possible, some apps Have been able to DL thru other sites, but some seem to REQUIRE only downloading thru google play store, any way to avoid using google??

TIA

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
from my understanding, if the app is on GP, and you get it elsewhere, it still reports usage to GP.

If you really want to avoid that kind of scruitiny. You need to buy a burner with cash, perferably using a 3rd party to buy it. Prepay for data using cash and a 3rd party.

only use the phone and data away from your residence, in a place that isn't your normal route to and from work.

Only download the updates, use the apps in the same fashion.

Change out sims and data plans every 1-3 weeks.

you can see how this can be economically unfeasible, and very time consuming.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
yea, that might work, I really dont need that kind of anonymity , just trying to cut down on all the spam adds and creepy show ups on my FB and other pages LOL..
I swear I can talk about something or google it and it shows up in other places, weird.

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
If you can find the APK file that corresponds to the application you want to install, e.g. with a Google search, or from the author's website, you can usually download it to your computer and "side load" it to your device via the Android Debug Bridge. The latter is software from Google that installs on your computer (Mac or Windows) and gives you intimate access to your device. If you are able to root your device, you can install the APK just by opening it (copy it or download to the device, the tap it to open it). There are a number of apps that expedite the download to device operation, including one called "ES File Explorer." You may already have something like this pre-installed by your vendor.

There is a ton of information on "hacking" Android on the web, and in YouTube videos, look for Android developers and other coding sites.

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
thanks buddy !

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't creating an account @gmail or other and providing it as the account for the store do the trick? Keep Google and the phone tied to the spammable account.

You'll be able to download all the apps to your hearts content and keep the phone visible for Google while using your regular FB and mail account.

???

Just wondering.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I am no fan of either Google or Android, but installing Android apps from outside Google's Play Store is just asking to get 0wn3d <smh>

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I am no fan of either Google or Android, but installing Android apps from outside Google's Play Store is just asking to get 0wn3d <smh>

Yup. Unless you absolutely trust the source.

I've only done it once, and it was when I did not like a new version of Delta's Fly Delta app so I reverted to the previous version. But I absolutely trusted the source.

To do it by the way you'll also need to set your phone to allow external APKs to be installed.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's still an Android phone so I'm sure they are still going to figure it out.

Its not worth the risk for whatever modicum of privacy you would gain.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Its not worth the risk for whatever modicum of privacy you would gain.

You wouldn't gain even a modicum of privacy by side-loading, anyway. All you'll gain is Google maybe not knowing you've installed the app. I'm quite security-conscious and somewhat privacy-conscious and my reaction to that is: Big whup.

If you really don't want Google/Alphabet and God-knows-who-else prying into your life, the answer is simple: Don't use Alphabet/Google/Android products.

If you insist on using those things, the repeated vulnerabilities and privacy compromises are part of the package. Side-loading apps probably won't do squat to dodge any of it, and opens you up to a much more nefarious degree of exposure.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
What do you suggest for he cellw phone platform

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:
What do you suggest for he cellw phone platform

I prefer iPhones, but choose whatever works best for your needs. All I'm saying is side-loading apps can be dangerous. I stongly recommend against it.

Two recent threads on mobile phone choices:

I need to upgrade my phone - Could use some advice.

Apple Unveils sub-$400 iPhone (Some discussion of non-Apple phones also therein.)

Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
thanks fellas, I just created a new gmail and used it to DL all my apps

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,