SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HVAC guys need your help
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HVAC guys need your help Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
Few weeks ago the drain line from the unit in my attic got clogged up with some oatmeal looking mold. Such that the unit shut off due to a float in the system. I blew it out with compressed air and poured bleach down the line from the attic.

Last night it did it again. I can only think some of the mold survived and has blocked up the drain line. Is there a foaming bleach type product I can put in the line to kill all the gunk in there? Or should I put a pool tablet in the pan under the coils and allow it to slowly dissolve-like you would in a toilet tank.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
You need to put bleach in the pan or the pump basin. I'd blowbout the lines again and treat the basin omce every couple of monthe while the ac runs.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
They make that can spray stuff for cars that is supposed to clean the car's ac line, maybe it will work for you?

and slight drift, if unwanted, i'll make my own thread, but here we go

a/c fan keeps blowing the big copper fuse things. just replaced both, fan started running again, cooled the house one degree and the fan stopped spinning again. it's getting power so the fuses are okay, so why isn't it spinning?

i know it's like 20+ years old and needs to be replaced but I'm hoping to get the rest of summer out of the way.

Thanks.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8025 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lube the fan with the best oil you can find, if possible, some have no ports. It has kept my air conditioners running over 20 years after they once quit.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do not put bleach in the evaporator pan!
Can you say corrosion?

As to the drain line, flush it with a garden hose.
Or simply replace it, if its easy to access all of it.

You could try pushing a foam plug through the pipe using an air compressor (assuming it drains outside).
Or you might try sucking it through with a vacuum on the other end (assuming you can get to it)

Simply blowing it out doesn't always work (as you found out) because all it needs is a small hole for air to flow through. Then it'll plug right back up in no time.
Flushing with a garden hose fills the pipe and does a better job of flushing out the gunk.

They do have tablets you can add to the pan to help aid in keeping the line clean.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Nu...ol-Green-Mini-Strips

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
a/c fan keeps blowing the big copper fuse things. just replaced both, fan started running again, cooled the house one degree and the fan stopped spinning again. it's getting power so the fuses are okay, so why isn't it spinning?

Assuming the compressor was still running and the fan wasn't?

Weak/bad capacitor or the motor is bad.
Stops running when the motor gets hot and trips the internal thermal protection.

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

They do have tablets you can add to the pan to help aid in keeping the line clean.

Hey Ex do you know what the tabs are made of or have a source for them. Thanks for all your expert advice and help.

Posts: 18047 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just added a link to the first post.

There's several different options at the link below.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh...ndensate%20treatment
There's the pan pads by NuCalgon if you blow it up, which shows the active ingredients.

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 18047 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Thanks I’ll try lube on the fan. The compressor still works.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8025 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ll try lube on the fan.

Seems like there'd be a reason I didn't suggest such an idea.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Lol. Love the sarcasm. I am still grateful for the time you helped me. Thanks again!

Posts: 3667 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Lol, I was being facetious. It was late and we were running call to call all night. Your explanation sounds like what it's doing. It's just too old and it's been hot. It's cooler today.

It's my exwife's house. I'm just here for the week to take care of the pets and get our son to and back from school while she and our daughter are on vacation. My son actually has the whole attic and has a window A/C unit so he's going to be fine. The dogs can stay in the breezeway which has a window unit as well and the cats can hide out in the basement with me and the rabbits.

Not minority enough!

Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
After no problems for 15 years I suddenly had the same thing happen twice this summer. After figuring out that compressed air was only packing the clog deeper, my A/C guy recommended a Drainado to suck the clog out with a wet/dry vac. It takes a few minutes of suction to pull out all the oatmeal snot, but the device works for me. You'll need to cut the drain pipe near the air handler to create a location to vacuum out the entire drain. I cut out a 1" section and replaced it with clear tubing and used radiator clamps to make it watertight. Now I can simply look to see if the drain pipe is draining (good) or filled with water (bad). (Plumbing for pilots: Gotta keep it simple.)

In addition, I disconnected the other end of the drain pipe from the sink drain, reversed the hose on the vac and blew air up the pipe to help the remainder of the clog go vertically from the sink to the attic. I used the Drainado to do this too.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2543 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I had drain issues with my old AC system.

I bought an adapter for my shop vac that sizes the hose down to fit the drain line for less then $10.00. With the shop vac creating suction I poured hot water/bleach down the line. Then I capped off the outside end and filled the drain with more hot water/bleach and let it sit for about an hour before draining it.

After that l poured a cup of bleach down the drain line monthly to keep it clear.

I've since switched from using bleach to vinegar due to potential corrosion from the bleach fumes. The new AC system(about 5 years ago) came with a new drain line and I treat it with vinegar about every other month.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do not use bleach, it's corrossive to the coils and some pans......buy A/C coil cleaner and pour that in the drain pan (read directions on dilution). Then follow it with a gallon of water, after it's sat a while.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I blew it out with compressed air

For what its worth, Ive tried compressed air and it was worthless compared to a shop vac. I think a shop vac does a much better job sucking the shit out of the line.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
I use vinegar in the PVC once a week..maybe a cup. If it starts to get slow...ready?...Dollar Tree. efferdent denture tablets - $1 for 20. Break it up to fit into the PVC...add some vinegar...done.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I use the same device Spinzone uses.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RI...ums-VT1407/100206293

My drain line clogs from rust in the drain pan. Prevention is to vacuum the drain pan prior to the cooling season.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I blew it out with compressed air

For what its worth, Ive tried compressed air and it was worthless compared to a shop vac. I think a shop vac does a much better job sucking the shit out of the line.

Well that is what it was designed for.... Big Grin

Same here pour bleach down the line, not in the pan, we had an access tube to the down line, pour in some bleach, shove water down the tube with the hose, let it sit, then Mr. Shop Vac to the outside drain to pull it out.

IF you need compressed air turn the shop vac into a blower and let it force pressure down line, it's not enough to bust the line and will clear it up..

Get the attachment accessory at Home Desperate,
makes a big difference when connecting to the drain line.

Link

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post