SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Millenial in Sydney with camera falls /dies
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Millenial in Sydney with camera falls /dies Login/Join 
posted
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2...e-taking-selfie.html

" he died loving what he was doing"

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55211 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15529 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
The young man was a mormon missionary from Utah.

https://www.ldschurchnews.com/...l-in-australia-47649

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
What a shame. People and the damn selfies. Frown

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
a 30 year old man died there previously from a fall, sounds like they need a taller rail, terrible thing to happen.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
We need selfie control laws - for the chirrins!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Dammit, Jim, I just blew hot coffee out my nose! Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15528 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Time to build a fence and post signs saying precipice can kill you...

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Seems like a terrible accident...not sure it qualifies for a Darwin award.

Posts: 2050 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
a 30 year old man died there previously from a fall, sounds like they need a taller rail, terrible thing to happen.

The hell we do.

Ever been to the Grand Canyon? Yeah, me too. All those cliffs you can walk out on the edge of and take a selfie - hell no I didn't. Partly because taking a single step onto the outcropping of rock made my heart do weird stuff, but also because if shit happened, I tripped, whatever I didn't want to fall.

My mission wasn't to die there.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I toured a hill fort in the Aran Islands. I'm walking happily along toward a drop, assuming it goes to a lower level of the fort as there was no sign or rail. I get to the edge and it's 300' clear to the Atlantic below. I got the hell out of there before something snatched me off. After my heart calmed down, I simply assumed that the Irish assume people are smart enough not to fall off.

We don't really need signs. We need smarts.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12943 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Ban selfie sticks.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12963 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I toured a hill fort in the Aran Islands. I'm walking happily along toward a drop, assuming it goes to a lower level of the fort as there was no sign or rail. I get to the edge and it's 300' clear to the Atlantic below. I got the hell out of there before something snatched me off. After my heart calmed down, I simply assumed that the Irish assume people are smart enough not to fall off.

We don't really need signs. We need smarts.

Actually, no....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Taking a selfie" basically means walking backwards, staring at his phone, not paying attention to what was behind him or where he was going. So no, they don't need a taller fence or extra signs.

Posts: 2534 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From time to time I visit the ruins and stamp sands from Mohawk Mill in Gay.
You can walk to the edge of the stamp sands and stare straight down about 100 feet into Lake Superior.
I don't selfie and I don't stand on the edge either.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s somewhat paradoxical, but the more warnings and physical barriers get put up in a few select locations, the more likely it is that people will get themselves in trouble elsewhere. The Colorado mountains aren’t the high Himalayas, but there are still countless places where a misstep or lack of attention can be deadly. People assume, though, that someone else will protect them from themselves. And it’s not just falling off cliffs. Throughout the winter, and to a lesser extent year round, the ignorant will call for someone to rescue them because they’re cold, or lost, or hungry, or dehydrated, or attempted a climb when they were in no shape for it because of physical fitness or health, or are just tired and don’t feel like walking any more. They have become accustomed to having someone show up to get them out of trouble anytime they call 911, and expect it when someone will have to hike for three hours just to reach them.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Reading the article, it seems both men left the whale watching area and climbed to some other area to get closer.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
How has that nanny state gubmint not erected a large barrier to protect people from the dangerous cliff?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
Don't use Zoomers to give millenials a bad name, we already have enough shit to deal with.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there are four cliffs at the ocean's edge near L.A.,
they all have fence's , sign's and warnings ,
yet
four times a year they have the coast guard Helo out there
pulling people off the cliffs
Roll Eyes

I worked with a fellow who let his 15 y.o. son go on a five day church outing to the grand canyon, the guys brother in law was the head coordinator guy.

On the first night his son woke up and had to pee, so he asked two of his tent mates to go with him, they both said no.

at 3: a.m.the camp woke up to screams. they could not find daniel.

come sun up , a helo saw him 350 feet below the edge of a cliff.

the co-worker goes up every year on his son's birthday to maintain a small pile of rocks and a cross

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55211 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post