SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electric Pressure Washers - Was Karcher, now Greenworks - New Option in last post
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric Pressure Washers - Was Karcher, now Greenworks - New Option in last post Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Any thoughts on Karcher tools? Got an anniversary gift from work & this is one of the options.
Karcher K5 Power Control
Comes with a few accessories. Surface cleaner, foam cannon & power brush.

Had a Ryobi before that was great, but it was a combo deal with a surface cleaner that broke, so the whole kit had to be returned & I haven't gotten around to replacing it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15372 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a Rep for them almost 25yrs ago. At that time they were built exceptionally well, very few breakdowns of either the electric or gas models. Vast majority of those returned were because the customer was using an incorrect sized hose or water pressure was low. Often it was a "rental" and they only bought it for a single project then returned

I hope they are built similarly currently, but I really don't know

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
The very first pressure washer I got probably 23 years ago was a Karcher and it worked flawlessly until I finally sold it to get a more powerful model a few years ago.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have two, both work very well, and I bought them just a few years ago. They are both moderate in pressure; high-pressure units such as what one might rent from Home Depot can do a lot of damage to wood siding.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents, glad they're a good unit. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but it's on the shortlist

Posts: 15372 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Another they are decent, had an electric one many moons ago when we first moved in, got rid of it when I got the Honda Gas washer with more power.

It was a good pressure washer...

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I have a Karcher that I use 2-3 times a year for the last 20 or so years no problems what so ever mine has a B&S engine.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’m in the process of selling my 3500# Dewalt unit to buy a smaller, shelf mounted unit with a hose reel. I’m down to Karcher, Active 2.0 or Dewalt.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4238 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a small electric Karcher around the garage for well over a decade. I sometimes use it for what seems to me excessive duty cycle to clean walls or concrete but it keeps on going.
I did get a 50' hose for it so as to not to have move it around while cleaning.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 337 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Granted, my unit was purchased on close out at Walmart about 17 years ago. Honda 5.5 hp motor, 2100 psi, 2.3 gpa if I remember correctly. It has run flawlessly for all these years, until 2 years ago it started seeming to lose pressure every 20 seconds or so. Pump rebuild kits were equally expensive to complete new pumps, so I put a new pump on (granted, likely Chinese non-Karcher from a third party seller). Easy swap, and the unit is running fine. For a total investment of $320 over 17 years, still going strong, I call it a great investment. I hope they are still as good now

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
I was a Rep for them almost 25yrs ago. At that time they were built exceptionally well, very few breakdowns of either the electric or gas models. Vast majority of those returned were because the customer was using an incorrect sized hose or water pressure was low. Often it was a "rental" and they only bought it for a single project then returned

Any truth to the notion that horizontal shaft driven pumps are better than vertical shaft pumps?

P229

Posts: 3845 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Adding in: The K5 is an electric PW, not gas.

And, just checked & it dropped off, our voucher system updates overnight, I guess. Now it's a Greenworks PW with no accessories. Moving on, I guess.

Thanks for the tips & reviews though, might look into one anyway.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

Any truth to the notion that horizontal shaft driven pumps are better than vertical shaft pumps?

has more to do with how the pump is designed. axial pumps are mid line where as triplex will allow to go to higher PSI and are most reliable. Karcher was using CAT triplex on the gas units and axial pumps on the electric. not sure what they are using currently, I'd assume similar

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bumping this for the new option

Greenworks?

Model looks like the Greenworks Pro 3000psi model
Think this is the unit, from Lowes
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Green...re-Washer/1003203122

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Greenworks has a good reputation, 3000psi is the minimum you want for any decent jobs, should easily clean off stubborn dirt. Looks like it comes with several tips which is good.

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I had this model before, the PW was good, even at 2k PSI, but it was a pkg deal & the surface cleaner died, so I had to return the whole kit & never got around to getting a new one.

Had never really heard of Greenworks, good to know they're not junk.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RY...Y142022-SC/317654591

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
2K to push a surface cleaner is a bit low, 3K will do the job better and quicker, some of the rental units require even more psi to run.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Model looks like the Greenworks Pro 3000psi model
A few general items on pressure washers:
  • Cleaning units = pressure * flow rate. A 3000 psi, 1.2 gpm pressure washer will have same cleaning ability as a 1800 psi, 2.0 gpm pressure washer.
  • Generally, 2000 psi is considered the upper end of pressure washer for washing a car. Ideal is considered 2.0 gpm at 900 to 1200 psi. You can damage paint (e.g. peel off the paint) above 2000 psi, but there are ways to make it lower the psi and increase the gpm (see below).
  • Generally all of the pressure washer manufacturers mislead consumers on rating. GPM will be measured with no nozzle inserted (i.e. no restriction so higher flow), and psi will be measured with a 0 degree nozzle with small orifice diameter (i.e. lots of pressure by travelling through small orifice but significant drop in flow rate). In other words, you'll rarely find a manufacturer that gives the psi and gpm rating in actual configuration the user will use their pressure washer.

As far as the actual pressure washer, I don't have any experience with it, but follow a YouTube vehicle detailing channel that periodically does very detailed tests and reviews on pressure washers. Here is his review of the 2700 and 3000 psi Greenworks Pros. Of particular note:
  • at 23:56 he begins the iterative process on how to manipulate the pressure washer down to being less than 2000 psi by changing orifice size in the nozzles. The larger diameter orifice size increases gpm and decreases psi.
  • Both the 2700 psi and 3000 psi units could be manipulated with aftermarket nozzles to be safe for washing a vehicle.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by HRK:
    2K to push a surface cleaner is a bit low, 3K will do the job better and quicker, some of the rental units require even more psi to run.
    The rental units will also have a minimum gpm. You have to use a smaller diameter surface cleaner with an electric pressure washer vs gas pressure washer mainly due to the lower gpm of the electric pressure washer.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of P250UA5
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks for the video, T
    Curious how that constant run affects longevity on the unit. From the Lowes link, looks like it has a 10 yr warranty.