SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Navy nuclear engineer and wife arrested on espionage charges for trying to sell submarine secrets to foreign power by way of a peanut butter sandwich
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Navy nuclear engineer and wife arrested on espionage charges for trying to sell submarine secrets to foreign power by way of a peanut butter sandwich Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Navy nuclear engineer and wife arrested on espionage charges for trying to sell submarine secrets to foreign power by way of a peanut butter sandwich

quote:
... Jonathan Toebbe, 42, and his wife Diana, 45, were arrested in West Virginia on Saturday, by the FBI and the Naval Criminal Investigative Service. The couple from Annapolis, Maryland, allegedly "sold information known as Restricted Data concerning the design of nuclear-powered warships to a person they believed was a representative of a foreign power," according to the Justice Department. ...

Posts: 45402 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is absolutely nuts !!

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$30K in cryptocurrency will get one a pretty nice Corolla or Civic, and perhaps a few cartons of cigarettes. Selling the nation out pretty cheap.

ETA; read it again, paying more attention..he got $100K total. No doubt their bond will be much higher than that.

Posts: 3227 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Give 'em a fair trial tomorrow morning and and hang 'em after right after lunch.

I hate traitors.

Posts: 11340 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming China? Their embassies/consulates here in the USA are jam-packed with "Defense Attaches" on diplomatic visas. Because, you know, there's so much military cooperation and liaison between us and the Chinese, meriting a large PLA staff.

Posts: 2473 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Someone educate me...Can this guy be executed for treason like the Rosenbergs?

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
'After an undercover agent reportedly sent $10,000 in cryptocurrency to Jonathan Toebbe as a "good faith" payment, the couple allegedly traveled to West Virginia in June. That's when Jonathan presented a peanut butter sandwich at a pre-arranged "dead drop" location, where Diana was a supposed lookout.'

Coupla goobers. Gotcha!

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15913 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I guarantee you they were up to their eyeballs in debt trying to keep up with the Jone’s and were looking for a quick and easy way out of that.

I agree with Tac, have a trial and hang these scumbags high. Better yet, line them up and shoot them like we USED to do. Mad

Posts: 33895 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I genuinely think letting them rot in a supermax prison is worse than execution. 23 hour lockdown, your one hour is not outside. Limited to no conversation with others. Many people are literally nuts after just a few years of that.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
I'm assuming China? Their embassies/consulates here in the USA are jam-packed with "Defense Attaches" on diplomatic visas. Because, you know, there's so much military cooperation and liaison between us and the Chinese, meriting a large PLA staff.

Doesn't sound like he managed to actually find a buyer for any of the data. Looks like the FBI caught his attempts early, and set up an undercover agent to set up all the buys.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
China would hang a traitor on their side, why do we go easy on them?

Also, how did this begin? Did the USPS intercept the package and call the FBI?

-c1steve

Posts: 4065 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I genuinely think letting them rot in a supermax prison is worse than execution. 23 hour lockdown, your one hour is not outside. Limited to no conversation with others. Many people are literally nuts after just a few years of that.

I played a round of golf one time with the warden about 20 years ago in CoSpgs.

Friend of mine was joking about meeting Ted Kaczynski, Ted Bundy, all the black hats in there, and the warden’s demeanor took a turn to the serious like he would not believe; mentioning that you would never want these people to even know you’re freaking name.

Changed the whole tenor of the game dammit. Things were back to normal by the 17th hole finally.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
BLMers at that.

https://thepostmillennial.com/...sell-nuclear-secrets

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Given our nation’s deficit, I’d be ok with the cheapest solution: 15ft of rope. Hell, you can even reuse it and get a twofer out of it, ladies first.

Posts: 17224 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
Someone educate me...Can this guy be executed for treason like the Rosenbergs?

Per Wikipedia, this is how they got the Rosenbergs:
quote:
On March 29, 1951, the Rosenbergs were convicted of espionage. They were sentenced to death on April 5 under Section 2 of the Espionage Act of 1917,[29] which provides that anyone convicted of transmitting or attempting to transmit to a foreign government "information relating to the national defense" may be imprisoned for life or put to death.[30]
If this law is still on the books, then probably yes.

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
On March 29, 1951, the Rosenbergs were convicted of espionage.

Yes, espionage. Not treason.

Helping the Soviets build their own atomic bombs was perhaps the worst act of espionage that could have been committed by Americans, but theirs were the only death sentences for espionage in modern times.* Other “atomic spies” working for the Reds didn’t suffer the same fate, nor have others who were convicted of espionage that could have had extremely serious consequences—and still may.

* There were a lot of protests against the executions of the Rosenbergs at the time, including claims that they weren’t guilty. I have long thought that those efforts were ironic given the Soviets’ treatment of anyone caught spying there for foreign powers or even much less serious crimes.
Once again, what’s that I hear from the American Left? >Only crickets.<

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47420 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Before we get to the hanging part…I’d like to know if the fbi was involved in entrapping them like they have done in the past ie: let’s kidnap a governor and execute her….

Edited for spelling

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11309 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:

Could be wrong but I don't think it was China. This country actually notified the US government of this attempt to sell to them. Article also said this country already has nuclear subs. I doubt China would notify the US government and then HELPED the FBI to set them up to be captured (at FBI's request, this country agreed to fly a signal flag from their embassy in DC as a trusted signal for this couple).

I am thinking it's India.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, well, to the wannabe spies, I say black lives matter, but your aren't worth a bucket of warm piss now. Enjoy prison. You'll have a chance to put your philosophy into action in there.

Posts: 107753 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post