SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Google fu is shot, I need help find a screw
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Google fu is shot, I need help find a screw Login/Join 
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted
I have a Black and Decker hedge trimmer. It is old, but works. Last time I used it, the guard came off.
I went to B&D’s website and the model is no longer offered. I checked their parts and it is no longer being made. The thing is, the screw is part used by lots of manufacturers. But it is discontinued.
The screw is 99276-16. I have an order for Sears parts direct which has been backordered since November 28.
Any of you have a source?

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All sights I saw said obsolete.
It looks like a Pan head machine screw. Since its old its probably a #8 or #10.

Get one from HD and call it a day.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cr...Pack-99808/203537471

Edit

Sigmonkey nailed it

https://www.ereplacementparts....4167_9523_11509.html

Question: Hedge Trimmer
digengen

The screws that held the handle on my trimmer came loose and lost during use. The schematic on line shows item #45 but the same item is missing in the parts list. I would like to know which of the following P/N is the correct replacement part for my trimmer: #99276-16 or #134157-00. Confused

Hello digengen,

Unless there are four screws to hold the handle on. According to the manufacture they say to order 2 each of the 99276-16 Screw. Which is a 8-32x1 inch long pan head and 2 each of the 134157-00 Screw. Which is a 10-32x1/2 inch long pan head.

-WJA

Posts: 1041 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look for a used trimmer on craiglist or ebay and keep it for parts?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's an 8-32x1 pan screw.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43911 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
99276-16

maybe take the item to a metal fastener shop and see if they can help you find a compatible screw. Not fastenal, but a speciality screw shop in your area.

I looked, they are all discontinued at my normal parts lookup sites.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Check ereplacementparts.com

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Assuming sigmonkey's correct, Menards and Rural King both carry that screw size, and likely Ace Hardware as well (if you have one near you).

Posts: 1181 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
When you get the proper screw, go to NAPA and ask for a tube of threadlocker. Not that expensive. You will probably asked if you want medium strength or high strength. Medium will do the trick if no vibration is involved and the screw isn't loose in the hole. Clean all the threads with Alcohol (oil defeats the threadlocker), apply per directions and install the screw. I'd let it set overnight to allow the threadlocker to cure.
No more losing a screw!

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Try Tinder, a lot of people I know are using it. If that fails try Craigslist.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20834 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7021 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to make sure we have at least one juvenile post here....I saw the post, did a double take, and then chuckled...Tinder is usually the go to from what I understand....lol. - edited for my huge fail in reading the post just above this....LOL even more...

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Maybe. It's been a while

https://www.mcmaster.com/=1g6w5gh

Posts: 3524 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
8675309, ask for Jenny she love you long time ,5 dollars.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
It's an 8-32x1 pan screw.
Ace Hardware, True Value,too. They have bins of these, your choice steel or stainless steel. If you were near me, I'd say drop by and grab one, I buy them by the hundred for maintenance on my rental carpet cleaners.

They also have thread locker (LocTite), do NOT use the high strength, you'll hard time getting the screw out if you need to. Use the medium strength.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30706 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
so basically no one has that drawer/bucket/box in the garage full of random screws, washers, and bolts?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If you know the size and thread then shouldn't be hard to find something.
HD and Lowes has all kinds of 'oddball' screws and fasteners.
Even if you find one in the regular section that is too long you can always cut it off.
Shouldn't be all that tough.
YMMV

Posts: 22928 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post