SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm finally doing it, I'm learning the bagpipes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm finally doing it, I'm learning the bagpipes Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
I think I've posted about this before, but with the forum's archival I can't find it. Either way, I've just started to learn to play the pipes. And I mean just started. I know it's going to be a long road before I actually pick up a set of pipes but I'm still excited. Right now I've got my book and practice chanter and I'm learning my way around that.

Luckily the local firefighters pipes and drums corps offers free lessons with membership so that will be a huge help.

Here goes nothing!

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take it you don't have neighbors living close by?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
How's your lungs, years back I tired and I just couldn't keep up the wind. I was going to get a set of uilleann pipes but the cost was too much for me. Good Luck and have fun. A kilt is a good way to get the colleens, they always want to know if you are free balling. Plus it's an easy CCW. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
That is so damn cool. Good for you!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36845 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
checkout the pipes on these lasses

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/HXm8JdC4k4c

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
G.K. Chesterton claimed that one of his favorite sounds was that of bagpipes...,

fading off into the distance. Razz

Seriously, I’m a big fan of bagpipes.

Posts: 12185 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:......I know it's going to be a long road before I actually pick up a set of pipes but I'm still excited. ...

It's a long way to the top...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
5 moves ago, I was a member of this amazing church and the senior pastor was a Scotsman. From the pulpit, he told the best bag pipe joke I have ever heard.

What is the definition of a Scottish gentlemen?
Someone who knows how to play the bag pipes but doesn't play them. Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23331 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SWMBO says:

I’m taking classes on
https://learn.dojouniversity.com

Highly recommended to augment in-person lessons. Basic membership is $15/mos or $37.50/3 mos and worth every penny

Will fill in all the blanks that learning from a pipe band misses. Make faster more satisfying progress.

If disposable income permits get a digital chanter so you can put in longer practice sessions. Blowing into a chanter is hard work and you run out of embouchure before you run out of need to practice. A digital chanter makes it possible to easily put in an hour a day learning those tricky embellishments. Plus some will let you ‘sound’ like a full blown set of pipes to keep you motivated.

The Blair digital chanter is a splurge but worth it if you are going to put in long periods of time practicing.

Good luck. Forget most of what you know about music theory. Bagpipes are feral and break all of the rules.

Posts: 530 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Good on ye, laddie !

Please keep us abreast of your progress.

Studied them for not long enough, when too young, and have regretted not going back.

Love the sound of bagpipes.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I wish you the best in your endeavor but I'm also really glad I am not your neighbor.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5055 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I stopped at Walmart for a few things. I left my bagpipes in the back seat and about half way through my shopping it suddenly hit me that I had forgotten to lock my car.

I set my shopping cart aside and ran out to my car only to find 3 sets of bagpipes in the back seat!

Lock your rig around Walmart.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
... I've got my book and practice chanter....

Might I suggest also attending a local Buddhist meditation center, one that teaches use of "Om Mani Padme Hum." You'll become a better chanter that way.

quote:
Here goes nothing!

That'll be your koan.

Smile

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Do you know the difference between a lawnmower and a bagpipe?
You can tune up a lawnmower. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
checkout the pipes on these lasses

[video]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/HXm8JdC4k4c

Enter Sandman on the bagpipes? It's unusual, but as a Hokie... I approve! Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13525 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love pipes. I can listen to them all day (and sometimes do).

I play native american flute and mess around with the tin whistle, but pipes are on the to-do list.

Mix it up with other instruments, they're great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBNxbbix1qk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amJ_WLmOKS0

Of course, there's The Bad Piper. One hasn't lived until experiencing a bagpipe that shoots flame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VZbKUFsUD0

And of course...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJACPfUU3nk

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pipes, the pipes they are a calling.
From glen to glen,
and down the mountainside...

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I love the bag pipes, cool you're taking it up.

Posts: 5607 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bagpipes - the world's only musical weapon.

I've wanted to learn how to play them. I might have the chance once I retire in the next couple of years.

This is a version that made it to the top of the charts for several months in 1972 in Europe - and performed by a military band, no less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkLXOWimMY8

Posts: 2776 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I started back in the 5th grade or so, wish I had stuck with it. I have always loved bagpipe music.

Still have my chanter, can’t bring myself to toss it.

Hmmm, they make digital ones and online learning? Maybe a possible retirement time waster for me in a few years...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/K-Op1Mng4oY

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10962 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post