SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seeking recommendations for portable road kit for plugging and inflating flat tires
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking recommendations for portable road kit for plugging and inflating flat tires Login/Join 
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
I have a Tooluxe kit. The tools are heavy duty and I've used the same type of plugs for years and never had one fail. Trust me, you want heavy tools with "T" grips because sometimes it's really difficult to ream out the hole and insert the plug...particularly if you're trying to work directly through the tread. I recommend a container of vulcanizing cement. Makes it easier to insert the plug sometimes. Now that I look closer it appears the newer kits come with cement. You'll also want a pair of wire cutters handy to grab the screw or nail and pull it out.

This kit is what I have been using the past year and a half. I have since plugged 4 tires on 2 cars and the plugs have held. The tools are heavier than the Slime kit and I doubt you'll break them anytime soon. @ ~ $14, it's good insurance. Buy without regret.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I also have the Tooluxe kit from amazon. I haven’t had to use it yet but the tools included are well made.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3967 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
excuse my quizzical look but don't plugging and patching have to be done from inside the tire?

the above sounds like the o.p. wants to do it while still on the rim , on the truck ?

I’m probably not doing it the right way but I always plug from the outside while the wheel is still on the car. Never had issues when I did it this way. I don’t even trim the excess. Just driving will cut it down.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8019 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The entire advantage of plugging a tire is that you don’t need to break the tire loose from the wheel rim. You can make a roadside repair out in the sticks, a long way from a tire machine. I’ve never fixed anything BUT radials with my kit.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post