SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is the USPS ending the Lobby recycling program
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the USPS ending the Lobby recycling program Login/Join 
posted
For the last several years our local USPS has been offering locked recylcing receptacles for discarded mail. It was very convenient as my PO Box accumulates volumes per week. Last week the boxes were removed and the trash bins of course are overflowing with discarded, ie JUNK mail. The answer after asking the clerks is to ask maintenance who of course were not available. Anyone know if this is nationwide cost cutting?

Posts: 17531 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Our branches still have the blue bins but now there's no lids on them. They're always overflowing with junk mailers. Maybe a private contractor issue?

Posts: 11199 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
The "locked" trash cans at my local post office are never "locked" and always overflowing.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
There is a sign at my local post office that reads: 'Please recycle at home, we no longer provide recycling facilities'

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a sign at my local post office that reads: 'Please recycle at home, we no longer provide recycling facilities'

^^^^^^
I suspect the USPS will post the sign after the requisite 100 people complain to the postal clerks. They are efficient about posting a paper sign to inform that their internet is down and their proper closing time.

Posts: 17531 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Yes, a coat cutting measure.

My local town was going to get rid of the recycling compactor as it was more expensive per ton than the trash that went to the landfill, but the backlash at the town meeting caused them to keep it.
What they didn't tell the folk at the meeting... the recycling bin is getting dumped at the landfill just the same. Because at that same meeting, the people that clamored for "recycling for the environment" refused to pay the additional fee for it!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It all goes in the dumpster here, no matter which can you put it in.

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
within the last 30 days our local post office literally locked / screwed closed all the trash cans in our local office accept for the two cans right in front of the counter. so now, after i grab my mail, i walk to the area in front of the counter and dump my junk mail and other crap into one of those remaining trash cans.

bob

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work for a financial company and every piece of paper (company or client data sensitive or not) gets tossed in the locked shred bin by my desk. Once a Week the guys come by and collect and take it to a box truck on the street with a shredder about the size of a wood chipper and it all gets shredded to mush. What they do after with that paper not sure. Every few weeks I bring all my personal paper and junk mail in to toss in the shred bin. Except in the winter when it gets saved for the fireplace.

What is hilarious is the break room has 3 trash bins for employees to sort paper plates and plastic and cups, real trash and food waste. Ive been here late at night before and seen the janitors they all dump it into one bin.

Posts: 4978 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post