SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bathroom sink drain question, for the plumbing inclined...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bathroom sink drain question, for the plumbing inclined... Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Is there any reason why this setup should be allowing sewer gas smell back into the sink? It only happens occasionally. I've cleaned the drain pipe in order to rule out smell from built up crud. Other sinks in the house exhibit the issue from time to time, however anytime I remove a trap its full of water.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Backpressure buildup perhaps somewhere down the line, either due to a slight blockage or poor venting. But I'm working from a perspective of a ship engineer. Not sure this would apply to landlubbers.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30432 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
It may just be funk in the trap itself you're smelling. I know you said you clean it, but my bathroom sinks get a douse of chemical cleaner every few months. I think it's the toothpaste & hand soap congealing in there that starts to stink a bit. A little Liquid Plumber sitting in there for a few hours followed by a hot water douche & we're good to go for a few more months.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Trap should be blocking any sewer gas. Is there any drain above on a second floor? If there is another drain tied into that one, it may be sucking water out of the terap enough for gas to escape.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you ever disassembled it right when you smell it?

Reason I ask is that if not properly vented a toilet flush could be sucking it dry. Then when you run water it fills back up. This would explain the intermittent smell. Even if it's "sucked dry" there will still be some water in it too, but maybe not enough to fill it.

Do you ever hear it gurgle when a toilet is flushed somewhere in the house?

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
If it's windy outside the water can get sucked out of the P trap. Run some water in the sink and see if it goes away.

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of my sink drains smell if I do not put liquid drain cleaner in them every few weeks. I have 11 drains & I only use 1 large bottle of cleaner. It does not take much to keep them fresh.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4282 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Check water heater sacrificial anode.

Sulfery smell, could be the water heater.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post