SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buy adjacent property to protect yours.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buy adjacent property to protect yours. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
We bought our house back in '86 and had wonderful older neighbors. About 10 years later the neighbor on the left wanted to move to Florida. I bought his place and loaded up my van and moved him to Florida. While down there my BIL and I went to Cozumel to do some scuba diving.

5 years later the neighbor on the right was moving and offered us his house, but we couldn't swing it at the time.

One of the tenants in our apartment house bought it and has trashed the the place and killed our market value, I'm sure Mad

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My Dad used to own a rental home on a 60'w x 600'd lot. Originally, there wasn't a house next door but eventually someone bought the 60'w x 600'd lot next door and built on it. The weirdos built their home with the long way aligned the long way of the lot and had the back of the house as close to lot line as legally possible which meant their dinner table had an up close and personal view of a 6.5' tall wood fence. If they had aligned the house like every other house their dinner table would've had a 400' to 500' view back to a state forest.

Anyway, the rental house became a total loss so Dad had the house demolished and offered to sell the lot to the neighbors with the weirdly aligned house. If they bought it and tore down the fence they would've had a 60+' view from their dinner table and guaranteed a nice buffer from other neighbors. The guy didn't seem interested so Dad listed with a realtor. The guy got lucky that the realtor did a shitty job of marketing the lot, and 2 years later he finally bought it from Dad for the original price. Oddly enough, the last time I drove by he still had not opened up the view by tearing down the 6.5' fence only a few feet from the back of the house. SMH.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
My prior suburban home had woods surrounding it on two sides.
Soon after purchasing, a 100 home housing development arrived.
After several years, unbearable. Lots of traffic, noisy Ducati motorcycles.
Found a buyer for that nice suburban home, moved away to the sticks.
I have corn fields and pastures for neighbors now at my home.

My rural recreational property is 25 minutes away.
It's large enough that I can do whatever I want, whenever I want.
And like mentioned several posts above, mine is in the 480a forestry program also.
~ 68 acres, mostly woods, plus the cabin, and the annual combined property & school taxes are under
$800 per year.

When I bought the land I was convinced the 480a program was a hoax.
I'm a believer now!
When/if I harvest timber, I am obligated to give a tiny percentage of the timber sale proceeds to the various local municipal entities. (town & county)
The nice thing is, that money is not out of pocket.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1545 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I've always said, if you buy a home for the view, you'd best own it. My only caveat to this mantra is: If you buy an adjacent property to assure you can continue to like your primary property, be cautious to only $pend what another person would reasonably value that secondary property at INDEPENDENT of any ownership stake in the primary property. In other words, don't let emotions convince you to spend too much.

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
If I had $500k I’d buy the fields around my house right freakin now. When the old farmer dies I can easily see some rich yankees buying them and building a subdivision all around me.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
If I had $500k I’d buy the fields around my house right freakin now. When the old farmer dies I can easily see some rich yankees buying them and building a subdivision all around me.

In the same boat here. An old gentleman rents out the farm property that joints one side and back of mine. 350 Acres.

At least there is a chance that when he is dead gone and it is sold they will divide it up into smaller tracks, they always do that here it seems. If so... I might get lucky and be able to snag the tract next to and behind me.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Back in the 70’s, the lot behind our home went for sale. My Mother told my Father we are buying that for our privacy! So it was done. Great move on my parents part. I would do it if I were ever in that position, no second thought.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5297 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can make it happen do it

I bought the property next to mine last year, because I was concerned about who may move in,

And what they may do with the property,

You can't buy good neighbors.

I didn't need the property or the barn on it, but the wife and I were in agreement that if we wanted to enjoy our later years, this would help keep the privacy we enjoy.

It also was an investment, that if needed could be sold for quite a bit more than we bought it for.

Go for it.

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
yep bought the lot directly behind me and the neighbor put his house in the wrong place and ended up land locking his back lot because the house is to close to put in a access road. if I had the dough I would have bought every piece of property I could around me.

Posts: 5598 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post