SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buy adjacent property to protect yours.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buy adjacent property to protect yours. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Just looking for your guys personal experience. I have done this. And have another situation that has me considering doing it on another property.

Just looking for how it happened or not happened for you.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have a non-conforming legal duplex. The city said if I ever have a fire, they wouldn’t let me rebuild because the lot is too small per current zoning. I have since purchased the property next door, so should it be necessary, I’d deed over enough land to meet the requirements.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I missed the boat and it sucked.

I tried to buy the empty lot next to one of my properites for 5 or 6 yrs. The lot was steep and required a lot of dirt work to be truly buildable, so I was not willing to pay premium. And neither was anyone else. The lot sat there for years with a For Sale sign while my kids essentially played on it for free while the guy kept turning down my reasonable offer.

Then bang! 2 yrs ago some knuckleheads from out-of-state bought the lot at his asking price sight unseen. Then proceeded to pay another 70k for dirt work and an engineered wall before even building their house.

Now my view of the mountains is obscured. They built a fence (no HOA, but covenants that discouraged fences...) which then triggered everyone else to build a fence. Now the backyards of all my neighbors look like stock pens instead of the open space we enjoyed for years.

Had I know what a PITA the end result would have been, I would have gladly upped my offer by 20K and bought that lot.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Some years ago my dads twin brother bought 3 connected lots and built a house on the middle lot. So as to be able to control who his immedate next door neighbors would be. Then in much later years sold both side lots for a very large profit which went into his retirement account. .............................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2008 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My parents went in with their neighbors to buy the lot between their houses back in the late 80's / early 90's. Was the best decision they made regarding property. The lot is uncleared and makes it seem like they live out in the country. You can't see the neighbors in the summer at all.

I've got an undeveloped lot next to me and if it ever comes to market, it will be mine. (or split with my neighbor). In the fifteen years I've lived here, I've only seen the owner once. She let me know that that property would be the last thing she would ever sell. She was planning on building her dream home there (and screwing up my little peace of heaven). She was supposed to start building a few years ago, but nothing has happened yet. I asked her to give me the first chance at the property if she ever changed her mind. I'm hoping she gives up on her dream's so I can keep living mine.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I did exactly this just over a year ago. While driving by I just happened to notice that a small, hand-painted For Sale sign showed up on the fence next to my 25 acre hay field. It was nothing but 24 acres of neglected and overgrown acreage used for grazing, and it was not cheap. But my options were to either buy it or have 1 and 5 acre ranchettes butted up against my shooting area. I'm now going through the long and expensive process to turn fields of lush sand burrs into a single viable hay field, but at least I still don't have any close neighbors.

Buy once, cry once. Then enjoy the peace and solitude with no regrets.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yanert98:
I missed the boat and it sucked.

I tried to buy the empty lot next to one of my properites for 5 or 6 yrs. The lot was steep and required a lot of dirt work to be truly buildable, so I was not willing to pay premium. And neither was anyone else. The lot sat there for years with a For Sale sign while my kids essentially played on it for free while the guy kept turning down my reasonable offer.

Then bang! 2 yrs ago some knuckleheads from out-of-state bought the lot at his asking price sight unseen. Then proceeded to pay another 70k for dirt work and an engineered wall before even building their house.

Now my view of the mountains is obscured. They built a fence (no HOA, but covenants that discouraged fences...) which then triggered everyone else to build a fence. Now the backyards of all my neighbors look like stock pens instead of the open space we enjoyed for years.

Had I know what a PITA the end result would have been, I would have gladly upped my offer by 20K and bought that lot.

Carl is that you? LOL So do you treat your new neighbors like shit because they bought a nice property? We put the fence in for the pool. Carl is uphill from my house and his view is not obstructed by our fence. But he has complained that the new houses look like condos. Carl now keeps the side of the hill facing us looking like shit with yard waste and tarps and such. Carl is a Dick. Don’t be Carl.

To the op: buy the property so you don’t become Carl.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
My neighbor at the lake is living that regret right now. He had the chance to buy the lot next to him for about 6 years as it sat vacant. Then it sold and the couple had a RV moved onto it and are now building a huge home that will block about half of my neighbors lake view. That is what it is my neighbor had six years to buy that lot and didn’t so it’s on him. And yes he has the means to do it easily. The real issue are the people themselves.

They are from the metro area and exemplify what those of us in the outstate rural area often refer to as Citiots. They are tremendously insecure about property lines and have about a dozen security cameras around the property. If you are caught encroaching on camera you will be questioned about you’re motives. Not the way things are done up here. At. All.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I done this twice. Once to “lock up” a corner on our county road, and another to make sure my driveway stayed MY driveway.
I paid a premium both times but figure I’ve saved over what I would’ve spent in antacids.

Posts: 6306 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The house my parents bought had an empty lot next to is. They toyed with buying it, but when they looked into it they were told by the town that it was too small to build on. So they figured why bother? Let someone else pay taxes on space and trees.

It stayed that way about twenty years, I guess until the right person finally got the right envelope and suddenly it wasn't too small. A developer bought it and threw up a house.

(that happened to large sections of my village. A new mayor got in and large parcels of land that his friends just happened to have purchased relatively recently got rezoned and are now housing developments.)

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I agree. Sometimes the cost can be tough to stomach. But the long term potential for a negative outcome can be much, much worse.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
My neighbor at the lake is living that regret right now. He had the chance to buy the lot next to him for about 6 years as it sat vacant. Then it sold and the couple had a RV moved onto it and are now building a huge home that will block about half of my neighbors lake view. That is what it is my neighbor had six years to buy that lot and didn’t so it’s on him. And yes he has the means to do it easily. The real issue are the people themselves.

They are from the metro area and exemplify what those of us in the outstate rural area often refer to as Citiots. They are tremendously insecure about property lines and have about a dozen security cameras around the property. If you are caught encroaching on camera you will be questioned about you’re motives. Not the way things are done up here. At. All.

Carl the douche whined about property lines all the time. But I’m the city boy and he’s the rural asshole. He came down bitching at me that the property marker was wrong closest to my house and he was building a fence past it on my land (what he claimed was his).

So I did him a favor and had it surveyed. I gained quite a few feet. I chopped down a bunch of bordering trees, put in a pool, a fence, and spent the summer having a patio built. Carl doesn’t say much to me anymore.

Moral of the story is buy it or don’t bitch. It’s annoying to have our dream home ruined by a bitter neighbor. It’s not his land and the more he annoys me the less I care about his feelings.

Oh and we also found out his solar panels don’t meet the setback. If he fucks with me again I’ll have to make him move them back a few feet. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I have the opposite situation. Our house sits on 3 acres with the closest neighbor a hundred yards away. The problem is that we get hit up to sell the unused property a number of times a week. We could get top dollar for it but we just don't need the money but do like the privacy. With the housing boom as it is in this area, this really is the best opportunity to sell at the highest dollar amount and I'm reminded of that fact on a regular basis.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biggest real estate screw up I ever made:
For about 10 years I lived in a tiny (wasnt trendy then) house that was servants quarters for an older farmhouse on the lot next door. An adjoining lot behind the farmhouse was all part of the same property. 5 acres total. The folks who owned it were elderly and my landlords. When they wanted to move to Florida, they offered me all 3 properties for 70K. I passed on the deal. Within a week, some well off type bought the property and then had it rezoned for business, since it was located on a main road. Went from 70K to 450K in value very quickly.
Hindsight is 20/20. And a bitch!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had I the money, I'd buy the property behind mine. This would be so I could have the pleasure of evicting the pack of psychotic, crackhead neighbors currently turning it into a ten acre trash pit.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
The neighboring 100 acres belonged to a great couple who used it as a get away and hunting retreat. I approached them years back telling them I hope they never sold, but if they ever decided to would they give me the opportunity to buy a part of the property nest to our line and I’d pay for the survey. He said they’d let me know if they ever decided, and it was never brought up again until a few years ago.
He came over one day and said they decided to sell and gave me a price for it all. I thought the price was a little high but after researching what property in the area had sold for in the last couple years realized it was *very* fairly priced. There is no zoning or restrictions whatsoever here so I bought it just to prevent something undesirable going in like a shale well, chicken houses, developer subdivided and sold as lots, etc. and have been SO glad I did.
The way I look at it Old Cross is the property value is increasing more than money sitting in a bank plus I get the benefit of having it.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MaSigchist
posted Hide Post
Yes - Did that and very happy about it. Long-time owners went to sell (divorce). They were happy to get a cash offer for an unused lot between us. We added property and swapped a 50 foot chunk that was better for them to own than us. Next neighbor turned out to be a real POS and we were happy to have the buffer. Icing on the cake was we added the property to our Forest land tax exemption and screwed the town out of thousands in tax money. It literally costs them more to mail the bills than we pay in taxes on that acre.

-Scott

SPDTool LLC - Pocket Sized Field Armorer Tools
http://www.spdtool.com

-Certified Sig Sauer Armorer
-Certified Smith & Wesson M&P Armorer
-NRA Pistol Instructor
-NRA Shotgun Instructor
-NRA Range Safety Officer
-NRA Metallic cartridge & Shotgun Reloading Instructor
-MA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 910 | Location: Greenfield, MA USA | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We live on a lake and the way the houses are positioned our neighbors on the right are probably 400 feet away but there is a lot next to us that would have a house probably 100 feet away depending on how they position it. We thought about buying it for over a year and ended up buying it. As soon as we bought the lot the lot next to ours sold the next day. We didn’t know at the time but they planned on buying the lot next to our house so we kinda lucked out.

I would say it’s not usually a great financial decision but if you have the money to buy it then go for it. I think we pay $1600 a year on taxes for it but it does give a nice view of the lake and it’s the last lake lot available so it will maintain its value.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Back in NC, me and the neighbor bought the lot between us and split it, it was to keep another home going in the lot, he had a dump truck, two bobcats and a few trailers and needed the space for his business.

It was nice to know that there wouldn’t be another home just next to us.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Pricey today is an unbelievable bargain a short number of years, or one asshole later.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5645 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post