SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone own a Subaru Ascent?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone own a Subaru Ascent? Login/Join 
posted
I'm thinking of getting an Ascent Premium to replace a 2015 Outback. Any comments or advice about the Ascent?

Posts: 99 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
test drove one when i was looking to replace my Legacy. Do you need it to seat 7 or 8?
I like the 7 seat version.

It's got a decent 4 cyl engine when compared to the 6 cyl in my Legacy.

I ended up going bmw but did go back and buy a subaru impreza for my daughter.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at them as well, however, I have seen a variety of mixed reviews on the reliability of the '19s and in a more limited way the '20s. The one common deficiency that I have read on both model years is their transmissions. A coworker of mine has one, and although a year old still has under 5k on it, and as one would hope, no issues. I would really consider one, but the transmission problems is giving me pause.

Posts: 679 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
I've sat in them, but not driven.

To me, if you like Subbies and NEED the extra space (more than an Outback), it would be worth looking into.

That being said, to me, their proportions seem off comparatively...basically it seems like an Outback that's been inflated about 30%, so where as, to my eye, the Outback looks about right for what it's intended to be 'Sportwagon-ish', the lines of the Ascent seem a bit 'off.' Totally visual appearance observation tho.

That, and it seems like a big vehicle for a 4 cyl, even a good sized one like the Subaru boxer. Probably not something I'd want to be hauling 7-8 people around in all the time, especially on steeper grades. I'd be far more interested in it if Subaru brought back the 6 cyl. for it.

Lastly, I haven't looked at the Ascent's arrangement, but I am NOT a fan of a 3rd row seat that is essentially ~6 inches in front of the rear bumper, where getting deep-trunked means you're going to crippled or worse, and your head is going to be going through the back window.

$.02 worth.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i completely agree with Boss' take

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
almost bought one. It had a lift and bigger tires. Pretty cool vehicle I must admit. I was really liking the gas milage for a bigger suv but decided it wasn't practical for my needs and I picked up a 2021 Crosstrek sport.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have kids??

I really looked into one but glad I stayed with the Outback. My buddy got one and his biggest piece of advice was “if you don’t need that third row of seats stay with the Outback”
Yes there’s more volume but the increase in square footage isn’t enough to make the difference for what I use the Outback for. I do my damndest to keep my rear window un obstructed.

For a family with 3+ small kids it’s great but the trade offs don’t appear worth it for those with 2 or less.

Posts: 198 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
The engine is highly underpowered for the size of vehicle.

But pretty much all Subaru's (SUV's) are underpowered.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
2021 Crosstrek sport
While getting the airbag recall performed in Feb 2020, a service writer told me the Crosstrek would have a second engine option, adding the 2.5L like the '08 Impreza has. Base and Premium still share the 152 hp, 145 lb-ft 2.0L with the Impreza, though.

The old 2.5L puts out 170 hp & 170 lb-ft, and the new 2.5L 182 hp & 176 lb-ft.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of coltchris
posted Hide Post
Wife has a 2019 and loves it. That 4-cyl. turbo has a LOT of get up & go; surprised hell out of me! No problems, although not a lot of miles. Does a great job in snow, which we have a lot of here in NW MI.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the people complaining about power have actually driven an Ascent.

We have one. It's not a race car, but for a mid-sized SUV it's pretty zippy and fun to drive.

It's a very comfortable, well-designed car (at least from a driver/passenger experience perspective, ours doesn't have a lot of miles, so can't speak to mechanical reliability yet).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My daughter's GS troop leader has 1 & she loves it.
That's about all my knowledge on them.

IMO, they look better than the VW Atlas & Honda Pilot.

I'd be giving a hard look at the Mazda CX9 as well.
I've driven that one & quite liked the way it drove. For a larger SUV, it still has that Mazda sportiness.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:

The 3.6R was putting out 256 ponies, for a family hauling Outback, that's pretty decent and capable. If you're worried about your quarter mile times, you don't by a wagon.

Yes, have heard the Ascent is relatively zippy for its size, and for soccer moms in suburbia, it might well do great. But I would be concerned about the long term effects of big car/small engine. I'd rather have a 6 cyl. operating at 60% all the time than a 4 cyl. operating at 90% all the time. And IIRC, head gaskets on the 4 are a four-figure replacement item at ~105K...which might be part of the reason why you see a lot of Subbies for sale a bit beyond the mileage...

Not that I don't like the Ascent...I'll be interested to see how they're holding up in a few years. I just think overall the Outback, particularly the 3.6R, is really dialed in for the weekend warrior crowd.

$.02 worth

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I'm a mod on a Subaru forum and questions of Ascent suitability and reliability are talked about quite a bit.

The engine is fine and more than adequate. Don't look at the HP but instead at the torque curve. It makes almost all of the usable torque at less than 2,500 RPMs and this is why it easily tows 5k.

There are no known engine-wide issues.

The transmission had issues in the 2019s and Subaru replaced those without hesitation. Subaru offers, at no cost, a 10/100 transmission which shows they have confidence. Other than a few people relative to the total number of CVTs in many years of Subarus, the CVT is not an issue or concern.

Mileage wise it's not very good around town. In the 15-16 range for most. That's because people like to romp on the turbo and around town is bad but on the freeway the mileage is very good and meets expectations. Like all driving, your foot is responsible for the mileage.

Outback/Ascent - While the engine and transmission are the same in both, it's detuned in the OB. Not to create market space for sales but rather it's the physical properties of the OB that are the limitation. The chassis isn't of such to haul 5k and the brakes aren't as big as the Ascent. You can swap them as a DIY if you want but you still have the chassis issue.

I agree with the one poster who said the Ascent is about a 30% bigger OB but I think the Ascent drives and handles bigger than that. It's harder to park but makes a great highway vehicle, especially if you need the room and to tow.

Posts: 4079 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss1:
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:

The 3.6R was putting out 256 ponies, for a family hauling Outback, that's pretty decent and capable. If you're worried about your quarter mile times, you don't by a wagon.

Yes, have heard the Ascent is relatively zippy for its size, and for soccer moms in suburbia, it might well do great. But I would be concerned about the long term effects of big car/small engine. I'd rather have a 6 cyl. operating at 60% all the time than a 4 cyl. operating at 90% all the time. And IIRC, head gaskets on the 4 are a four-figure replacement item at ~105K...which might be part of the reason why you see a lot of Subbies for sale a bit beyond the mileage...

Not that I don't like the Ascent...I'll be interested to see how they're holding up in a few years. I just think overall the Outback, particularly the 3.6R, is really dialed in for the weekend warrior crowd.

$.02 worth

Other than the 3.6 no longer available and hasn't been for a couple of years, the engine is fantastic.

Head gaskets haven't been an issue for a long time. Long time. You might hear of older cars that are currently having HG issues but that's not something that's being seen on cars produced since at least 2015. Oil consumption hasn't been an issue for a number of years once Subaru changed oil rings. I use about 1/4 qt over 6k.

Posts: 4079 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
There are so many choice's in that price range and category. Many of them an upgrade over what the assent offers imho. So unless you have to have a subie. I cannot see it myself.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for just a couple things:
--Seating for six, including child seat(s) - I've got two kids, each of whom has two kids, so number of seats is an issue when they visit once or twice a year.
--Cargo area dimensions - the longest piece I can get in the Outback is about 6', and it won't take a 4' wide piece of sheet goods. I'll be looking at rear door/cargo area width when we test drive.
--We want the updated safety/driver assist features of a new car; the car we're replacing doesn't have those.

Posts: 99 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've driven two different Ascents for a couple days, as a loaner for a couple different recalls done on my Forester.

Granted, that's not much time, but with that limited experience I liked it.

It definitely doesn't feel underpowered, like some of the other Subarus do (notably the base Crosstreks and Imprezas).

If I were in the market for a 3rd row full size SUV, I'd certainly give it a hard look.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
My son bought one for his family of four and he loves it. I have sat in, but not driven it. Seems very comfortable.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
We went to the Subaru dealer to buy a 2020 Outback for my wife. We drove the 2020 Ascent Touring seven passenger version and bought it. We have had it for eleven months and love it. Our other car is a Corvette if we want to go fast.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post