SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    September 2, 1945 VJ- Day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

September 2, 1945 VJ- Day Login/Join 
posted
The Japanese signed their surrender onboard the USS Missouri and WWII officially ended.

Several weeks later my Dad landed on the shores of Japan (with the 27th ID) as part of the occupation force. He was there for a few months then came home. If Japan had not surrendered, he would have been part of the invasion force and there is a good possibility me and many others would not be here today.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 727 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've been to the surrender display in Pearl Harbor aboard the Missouri.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Q

Posts: 26424 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
A day to remember the sacrifices our soldiers, marines, sailors and airmen made to end that horrible war Japan started.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1560 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I remember the celebrations. I was 8 1/2 years old at the time.

We waited anxiously for my uncle, who spent the final part of the war as a POW in the Pacific, to come home.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
The Japanese got off way too easy from their war crimes during WWII. 2 atomic bombs wasn’t enough.

Posts: 13130 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My dad was in the northern Philippines too and also scheduled headed to the invasion, had the war not ended (32nd Army division).

They also went to Japan, first the southern island, then the northern and passed around the outside of both Nagasaki and Hiroshima while collecting weaponry from Japanese troops before heading home in January 1946.
I also question whether I’d be here if not for the bombs and the surrender.
I don’t think any more bombs and civilian deaths were needed but more prosecutions of war crimes would have been justified.

Posts: 9524 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I don’t think any more bombs and civilian deaths were needed but more prosecutions of war crimes would have been justified.

The more appropriate punishment would’ve been to let the rest of Asia determine the fate of Japan after WWII.

Posts: 13130 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
My father graduated from Signal School in January of 1943.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
My Dad was the veterinary officer on board ship hauling mules to China afterwards. I have a copy of the commanders report here. I will post it later. It's in a lot of old things Mother has from way back. Mom is 99 this coming week.
There are also hand written letters from Germany from family seeking help after the war.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6317 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My grandfather was still recovering from being nearly killed by artillery from September 25, 1944 during the fighting on Peleliu. The mental healing was never complete.

Posts: 13744 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post