SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reading Glasses
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reading Glasses Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
As much as I hate to admit it, I need a pair of reading glasses, cheaters if you will, to function during the day. Unfortunately, every cheap pair of readers I've bought I've left somewhere I'm not or lost.

In looking around for options, I found these Clic Readers advertised. They look interesting and I was wondering if anyone here has a pair and could comment on how useful they are.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've successfully used Click Readers over the years.

They are the entry level "cheaters" for when you struggle reading the menu, etc.

Hanging around my neck and the rear view mirror in my truck was better than the 10 pair of "cheaters" that I lost previously. Click Readers are handy and operate as designed.

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure to get a sleeve for storing the glasses. ALWAYS keep it in your pocket or place that you will always keep them. ALWAYS put them into the sleeve. It will help to remember where you put them.

Alternatively, buy a bunch of glasses at the store - keep a pair in the car, in your desk, in your shooting bag, next to your reading material in the bathroom - well, you get the idea.

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Forty bucks for non-prescription reading glasses is kind of high.

I use el-cheapos. You can get a neck strap thingy (technical term, there) that will slip over the temples, for a couple bucks.

Alternate option: Costco sells decent quality non-prescription cheaters in three-packs for a reasonable price.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Forty bucks for non-prescription reading glasses is kind of high.

I use el-cheapos. You can get a neck strap thingy (technical term, there) that will slip over the temples, for a couple bucks.

Alternate option: Costco sells decent quality non-prescription cheaters in three-packs for a reasonable price.
They are a bit pricey, but if I add up all the money I've spent on el-cheapos I've 'misplaced', I've probably spent almost forty bucks so far. Maybe its an age thing too. Smile

Oh, and I tried a pack of the Costco cheaters, but they hurt my eyes and gave me a headache. Don't know if it was because they're so cheap or what, but they were marked as the same power as the rest of my cheaters.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
Make sure to get a sleeve for storing the glasses. ALWAYS keep it in your pocket or place that you will always keep them. ALWAYS put them into the sleeve. It will help to remember where you put them.

Alternatively, buy a bunch of glasses at the store - keep a pair in the car, in your desk, in your shooting bag, next to your reading material in the bathroom - well, you get the idea.

I agree about getting a sleeve to carry your reading glasses, thats what I do. I use the minimum strength 1.0 reading glasses, that power is harder to find than 1.25 and up.

Mine go in my right lower cargo pants pocket.

For me, usually the arms break before anything else.And for me, accidentely found in the womens dept at my local drug store , were Revlons, which have lasted so much longer than others I've bought.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I just keep on buying more cheaters, I have a pair of prescription ones with the transition lens and they are terrible.

So I just buy the cheaters and carry them with me. You get used to carrying them around real soon.

Archerman

Posts: 2487 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Too old man with the behind the neck thing. Can't do it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The wife buys in bulk for me from the 99cents store. I lose and break 'em pretty fast.

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I buy the four pairs for $9 ones found on Amazon (checking just now, not available, but there are plenty of others nearly as cheap).

Cheap enough to keep spares in the usual locations I'll need them, bedside, by the computer, etc., as a consequence, I no longer misplace them, and the "where are my darn glasses" factor is way down.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I buy these in bulk off of eBay or Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnivi...g-3-00/dp/B0087ITGBG

They work well for 1-3 months of continuous use. They can be had for well under $10 a pair and if I see any on special i stock up.

Posts: 9522 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to buy the el cheapos. All they did was strain my eyes as there’s no gauantee either side are even close to one another

Definitely Spend the extra money and get optical lenses. Made a world of difference for me

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6229 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
In looking around for options, I found these Clic Readers advertised.

I don't know anything about those. But if you've seen those commercials for ThinOptics, they do work as shown on TV, easy to carry and quick on and off. You need to keep your head fairly level and not move around vigorously.

quote:
Unfortunately, every cheap pair of readers I've bought I've left somewhere I'm not or lost.

Same here. In fact, because they tend to disappear in a pocket, I lost my ThinOptics for a week. Big Grin

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
You could also see your friendly local eye doc to make sure all is good with the vision...and oh, yeah, your eyes (!)...and recommend what power to use, or if cheaters are appropriate!!

Posts: 2938 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch Walgreens. They offer BOGO from time to time. I stock up then. I keep a pair in every room and a couple in my car.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I go to the dollar store and pay guess what- $1.00 a pair. i buy about 5 pairs at a time and occasionally lose one, break one or scratch one. At $1.00, even I can afford the loss.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I have to wear them (borked eyes; been wearing bifocals since 22), and I find the $6 Foster Grant readers from the display at WallyWorld right at that sweet spot of bang for the buck. I can't say I'd spend much more than that.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of drug store Foster Grant for close up work like soldering, picking out splinters, etc.

Do what my friend does; she buys several packs of Costco glasses and scatters them around the house. Two in the living room, one in her office, one in her bedroom, one in the kitchen, etc.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16708 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I like to buy readers with my regular prescription included, which corrects for astigmatism. I buy them cheap from ZennOptical. Just add the "add" to your regular diopter correction.

Posts: 10787 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I don't get the magnet thing on the Clicks. Seems like a gimmick to me. If you're going to have a lanyard around your neck, what is the advantage of breaking the glasses in half? Confused

I keep a pair of drugstore readers at my desk, in my car, and at home, and I carry a pair of collapsible glasses in my front pants pocket.

I've got a pair of Thinoptics, too, but don't like them much. I will carry them when I don't think I'll likely need glasses and I'm going to be especially active and thus want as little as possible in my pocket.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post