SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Accident and other driver is flat out lying to insurance company.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accident and other driver is flat out lying to insurance company. Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted
Any advice dealing with insurance when the other guy is telling a made up story. This was on a busy highway with lots of other cars around but no one else stopped and no other witnesses.

FWIW this was in VA and VA state police where called. No injuries so they just did an exchange of info.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the VA State Police can provide blotter details on the call?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
FWIW this was in VA and VA state police where called.

So there has to be a report somewhere that would, I assume, show fault? At least for now, relax and let the insurance companies (did the other driver have any?) figure it out.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
No injuries so they just did an exchange of info.

A lot of times they won't bother with a detailed report if both parties have insurance and there are no personal injuries.

Is there any physical evidence that backs your version of events? Photos, damage location, etc.?

All you can really do is give a full, accurate recorded account to your own insurance company.
You can ask them to pursue the other driver.... but they may not.
They will likely pay you, less your deductible rather than pursue the other driver. They don't see it as worth the time/expense.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24578 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
No police just gave me a paper with the other persons info. They did nothing else. No police report.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Calls are logged. Reports are made. Contact the station.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
You have mail.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
On accidents where no report was taken, I would always add call notes on what I observed at the scene, just in case.
I suggest going to the records section of the PD and request a copy of the call.

Isaiah 6:8

Posts: 618 | Location: Salisbury | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I was wondering -

did you have a dash cam ?

would a dash cam have helped ?

take any pics w a cell phone ?

twice I have been saved by a witness stopping and giving name/address.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If they didn't file an accident report, you are not going to get anything from the cops, I know this the hard way. They won't file one if they deem the damages are under $1,000. I had one that didn't file a report and it was in excess of $5,000.

It's your word against theirs, and you insurance company likely doesn't care what you say happened. They just want it taken care of.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
My understanding is insurance companies tend to believe their own customers when there is a dispute, after all it’s where their income comes from. In no fault states the PD may not issue a report, but as mentioned there maybe notes in the call logs. I would have a conversation with my agent/insurance company about the details of any claims. Pictures or dash cam help.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Involve your insurer. That is why you pay premiums.

If they think it is worth it, they will fight. But it may not be worth it, and they won't. In which case you will have to decide if you want to sue over it or not.

If you have any outside source of information, then develop it. But it may well be that there isn't any source and it comes down to a swearing match. We know you are telling the truth, but the other side doesn't.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
No dash cam. May buy one now since I think it would have captured what happened and this guy would be toast.

We both have the same exact insurance Geico.

posted Hide Post
as jhe888 said, file a claim with your insurance carrier. Give them your statement, let them repair your car and let them fight with other driver and his carrier.

You've given us little detail to work with, but how is it the other party is telling a "made up story"?

If the other party wants his car repaired he's going to have to agree to cooperate with his carrier and yours in order for that to happen.

Posts: 275 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The very same thing happened to me a year or so ago. I talked with the other person's insurance company and told my story. She looked at the photos that were taken by the insurance appraiser and told me that I was the one telling the truth, and sent me a check to cover my damage. I was really pissed at the other person, but kept my cool and was very polite to her insurance lady, and never raised my voice. Good luck.

Posts: 6711 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Don't be surprised if your insurance company doesn't give a shit about any details. Especially in light of them insuring both drivers.
Let them pay your claim and go with life.
With no witnesses stopping, your probably out of your deductible because any fight over that will be a he said - he said unless the police can provide any details....not likely.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3870 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
You have mail.

Didn’t see anything. You can use the same addresss just gmail instead of aol. Didn’t see it at the aol address.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Do you have collision coverage?

Geico is notoriously bad to deal with, at least on the end that I've dealt with them. If there's no evidence, such as vehicle damages to counteract the other driver's claims, there probably isn't much you can do.

If this was a word vs word sideswipe, then you're probably SOL. Virginia is what's known as a contributory state, which basically means that if you are found to be at least 1% at fault for the accident, then then you can't recover anything from the other party. The only way you can get your deductible back is if the other party was found 100% at fault. And if you don't have collision, you'll probably be on the hook for your damages.

What happened in the accident exactly?

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Had a accident several years ago with very minor damage to both their and my car. We were in a parking lot and both of us were backing up and looking the wrong way so maybe 2 mph speed. Everyone was fine of course....Then cops came we got a report,I called my insurance people and relayed what had happened.Then a couple days later my insurance called up and said the other party was wanting medical damages.... Never heard from the insurance company again but from the disgust in their voice they did not pay for a outright lie.

Posts: 4444 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Geico is notoriously bad to deal with, at least on the end that I've dealt with them...

I had Dairyland motorcycle insurance but I filed a rear end collision claim against GEICO in '03. Out of state GEICO insured motorist (female) hit my motorcycle at an intersection.

GEICO denied the claim against them.

Damage was about $500 to the bike and copay for the medical check up at local Hospital. I had full medical coverage at the time, so they might have wanted back their pay out.

Say, about $1,500 total.

I retained a Philadelphia attorney who sued GEICO for $50K, bike damage and pain and suffering.

After a year, Arbitrator made GEICO pay out close to $25K. Lawyer go 40% plus expenses and I got satisfaction.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post