SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honda HRX217 Owners: A Question For You
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honda HRX217 Owners: A Question For You Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
If you look at the lawn vacuum thread, I’ve decided after using a Honda HRX217 that this would be perfect for me with the tree litter I have to deal with.

I do have a question: there are two different models of this mower with the SmartDrive paddle type controls and the Hydrostatic drive controls.

What would you all recommend? Is one of them better than the other?

My yard is mainly flat, not sure if that would factor into this. I do like the feature that allows you to stop but leave the mower running as I am always having to clear toys and other stuff from my kids out of the way.

Posts: 33819 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
No one?

I know there’s a good number of Honda lawn mower fans here!

Posts: 33819 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I'll note that I have the paddles. I like that I can easily adjust my speed for thick/wet spots. This was more important when we were in MO as the grass always seemed to be wet, in Texas I haven't needed it much. As you note though the ability to leave the mower running while you move the trampoline/fort/balls/dog crap/etc. out of the way is nice as well. That said mine has never failed to start on the first pull so it's only a minor thing to have to re-start it.

Hope that helps.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello PASig,

I have this mower with the Hydrostatic drive controls (the throttle and speed control lever’s are next to each other on the upper-left side of the handle).

There is also a ‘safety clutch’ that engages and disengages the blade.

The machine is approx. 14 years old and runs like a champ!

The only ‘issue’ with the lever set up is that the speed lever is right next to and interior to the throttle lever, so if you want to slow down by pulling the speed lever back, if one is not careful of hand placement they’ll pull back the throttle lever too.

Going tightly around tree branches and shrubs, etc., can also catch the controls and changes the settings. The work-around of course is keeping the controls to the outside of the shrubs for that pass.

I live in Upper Macungie if you’d like to come over and take a look and/or give it a 1 hr 15 min ‘test drive’. LOL!!

Posts: 3481 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I have used both and prefer the Hydrostatic drive (side shifter) controls. The SmartDrive paddle type controls are nice as SigM4 says, for wet grass or for going up hills. The machine won't run away from you. The problem is that when you're going up a hill the mower doesn't really seem to be going at all because you're behind it and not pressing the paddles enough so it feels almost like you have to push it.
Plus, the plastic paddles seem a bit chincy. Maybe I'm just old-school but I prefer the shifter on the side.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24127 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
Just bought a HRX217HYA with the blade brake clutch (now called rotostop; i.e., you can stop the blade with the motor running) and hydrostatic drive a week ago.

My dad bought his first honda in 1983, a HR214. I gave it a cylinder hone and new rings a couple years ago and it still runs like a dream. There were also two HR215 mowers. One of them, a hydro that dad bought and a second that I got on craigslist for $50 seized up. Did a farm rebuild on it and used it for many years. When the aluminum deck on it cracked, it got relegated to being a parts mower for the other one.

I've had one of the HR216 models with the smart drive paddle self propel. Only Honda I've ever hated. The paddle hurts my thumbs and the mower is difficult to pull backwards against the belt that drives the wheels.

The hydrostatic models have a shaft drive to the transmission. It makes a world of difference.

I only have 1/3 acre at my home I bought early this year so I strongly considered a battery powered electric. I couldn't do it knowing at some point long before a honda would wear out, I'd need to replace an expensive battery. I also had concerns about whether a battery powered mower would have the power to fully mulch my grass.

This new machine exceeded all my expectations. It cuts better and is easier to handle than any previous Honda I've used. The new 200cc motor had gobs of power and has got to be the quietest small engine I've used. I mowed two weeks with a 2004 troy bilt belt drive that came from my late grandmother's house and cussed the whole time. My new HRX truly makes cutting enjoyable. It mulches like nothing I've ever seen before. On the complete mulching setting, the clippings are actually mulched into tiny tiny pieces unlike any other mulching mower I've used. No lines of clippings left on each side of the mower, just perfectly level, manicured grass. I'm actually looking forward to cutting the grass after work today.

This mower goes for $749 at the big box stores. When I bought the house, Home Depot sent me a 15% off coupon, which brought it down to about $680 with tax. WORTH EVERY PENNY.

I cannot recommend this mower enough. With the blade brake clutch, you will pull the starting rope ONE time per mowing session, unless you have to refill the fuel tank. I never appreciated the blade brake clutch until I had to mow with lesser mowers without it.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I think the Hydrostatic drive model is the one I’ll get. I did look at one with the paddles at a Home Depot a few months ago and agree with the people that said they felt flimsy.

Drive shaft means no drive belts to ever replace either, right?

I plan to purchase from a local mower shop too and not a big box store, I think they need all the business they can get right now.

Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Thanks all. I think the Hydrostatic drive model is the one I’ll get. I did look at one with the paddles at a Home Depot a few months ago and agree with the people that said they felt flimsy.

Drive shaft means no drive belts to ever replace either, right?

I must correct myself. I checked my mower last night and the hydrostatic gearbox is run by a belt on mine. That is a change from the old HR214 and HR215 models. However, unlike lesser mowers, the speed is controlled by the hydrostatic gearbox as opposed to being controlled by the drive belt tension. I don't foresee any problems. The belt is tight and will stay that way because it doesn't have to slip to run at lower speeds like that old troy bilt I used.

quote:

I plan to purchase from a local mower shop too and not a big box store, I think they need all the business they can get right now.

I had planned to do the same thing. I called and their price was $775 + tax. I wouldn't hold the home depot coupon against them. I inquired if they would match big box at $750, he refused saying that they assembled it. Assembly includes rotating the handlebars into place and pouring the included oil into the crankcase. He then tried to scare me by saying they (as an authorized Honda dealer) would refuse warranty service on a mower they didn't sell. I thanked him for his time and hung up the phone.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hydrostatic drive. Your service from a local mower dealer will be much better.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Mine has the paddles. It's great for quickly adjusting the speed for hills/turns, but has a learning curve to dial it in and get used to how it responds. I have never tried the other model, can't compare the two.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20828 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
I mowed my yard with a HRX217 hydrostatic for years. It is an amazing mower. The hydrostatic drive is super easy to use, and a delight. The thumb levers need constant pressure while you're walking, and that seemed like it would be a literal pain after a while.

The only reason I got rid of it, is because Toro came out with a 30-inch walk-behind, and it dropped my total mowing time from 1 1/2 hours to right about 55 minutes.

Buy the hydrostat, you won't regret it.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post