SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Random hand pain
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Random hand pain Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
Does anyone get fairly intense pain in random knuckles? Three different knuckles just ache, and God forbid I bump against something. Frown Sounds weird, I know. I’m almost 53. Could it be arthritis? Guess I need to go to the doc yet again.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7001 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I bump one of my thumbs a certain way I have intense pain. I'm 62 and have arthritis. The tips of my fore and middle fingers are turning crooked. The knuckles of my forefingers are huge.
Handling small items is becoming hard. I have a type there is no magic pill, just Aleve. See a Doc, hopefully you have a type that can be treated. I started having symptoms at about your age.

Posts: 957 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
It sounds like arthritis, I have had the same type of pain which started 3-4 years ago. I eventually went to an arthritis doctor and was put on meds which has worked. It did take tweaking to find what worked. Right now I’m on methotrexate which can have serious side effects which requires me to get blood work monthly to make sure my liver isn’t being compromised.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could be gout. Usually affects toes but can be found in hands. Bumping against something causing intense pain is a symptom. Swelling? Doctor visit is called for.

Posts: 112 | Location: Deep south | Registered: August 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yes, started about 20-21. (I was born old) 54 now, they pretty much hurt most of the time.

When I was younger I also used to get AMAZING sharp pain out of the blue in any random joint where I couldn't bend it. It would come out of nowhere and in a little while it would just go away. Luckily that's rare now.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See a rheumatologist. They are the experts. May need a referral.

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys for the information. I’ll get into my doc and start there.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7001 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have random joint pain that travels around my body . One morning I got out of bed and was unable to put any weight on my left knee . Went to the Ortho Doctor on crutches . He said it was Arthritis and gave me an injection . One ended up being four and now my knee is pain free . However , the pain has visited other parts of my body for a month or two then moves on . Weird .

Posts: 4064 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
See the doc, he should ask you to get a blood test, check Uric Acid levels for Gout, its probably a bit of Arthritis, mines acting up more since I hit 60.

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I'm 73and have arthritis in the hands. Middle finger is crooked (half a MA salute) and I get pain when the weather is changing.

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like rheumatoid arthritis. Easy to diagnose on x-ray, but typically the knuckles are red and inflamed.

Appears to be caused by a cross reaction to a streptococcus infection, initially only in the gut. To start, go on a low carb, no sugar diet. Try to boost the immune system, there are many ways.

Some pharmaceuticals have the opposite effect. They suppress the immune system, to decrease the body's ability to attack itself. However the course of the disease is accelerated.

-c1steve

Posts: 4060 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post