SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Granholm EV Road Trip Turns Into Elite Entitlement Clown Show
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Granholm EV Road Trip Turns Into Elite Entitlement Clown Show Login/Join 
Picture of John Steed
posted
"Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm set out on a four-day trip this summer. The trip was to prove the worth of the Biden administration's spending a ton on pushing and "investing" in electric vehicles.

What happened on the trip says everything about the Biden team's delusion and entitlement. The trip revealed immediately that the system is not ready to handle even what they have to deal with now, much less with the number of vehicles that you would have to cope with the complete switchover that they want.

But between stops, Granholm's entourage at times had to grapple with the limitations of the present. Like when her caravan of EVs — including a luxury Cadillac Lyriq, a hefty Ford F-150 and an affordable Bolt electric utility vehicle — was planning to fast-charge in Grovetown, a suburb of Augusta, Georgia.

Her advance team realized there weren't going to be enough plugs to go around. One of the station's four chargers was broken, and others were occupied. So an Energy Department staffer tried parking a nonelectric vehicle by one of those working chargers to reserve a spot for the approaching secretary of energy.

That did not go down well: a regular gas-powered car blocking the only free spot for a charger?

In fact, a family that was boxed out — on a sweltering day, with a baby in the vehicle — was so upset they decided to get the authorities involved: They called the police.

Doesn't that say it all? There weren't enough chargers to deal with the demand, and they tried to block out other people to reserve a spot for Granholm at the faster charger. That screams entitlement and thinking they get to do that because of their power. When you're stealing a spot from a family with a baby, you just might be pretty scummy. They're denying a family the very service they claim to be helping to provide because the family was in the way of their PR stunt. And the Biden team did it with a vehicle that wasn't even electric. "

The rest of the article --
Granholm

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
That is 100% Jennifer Granholm. That is exactly how she is, all show while behind the scenes being coddled and papmered with preferential treatment.

I bet she freaked out when she arrived and there was an officer there. She hates cops so much she would not allow the members of her MSP protection detachment to be in uniform or have any marked patrol vehicles within her sight.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37993 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
We were so “lucky” to have had her for two terms, eight years as Governor here. And more lucky that she was term limited and left the state for California soon after she left office.

I shook my head in amazement when she was named Energy Secretary.

Wonder if she will say “In five years you’ll be blown away” like she said when she ran for a second term as Governor. Just like The Dust Bowl we were blown away.

Eight years of jobs and businesses leaving the state, spending money on useless projects (Google Cool Cities) refusing to remove Kwame Kilpatrick from the office of Detroit’s Mayor, sweetheart lease deals with Democratic Party supporters for the lease of a new and unwanted State Police headquarters while at the same time laying off Troopers and limiting how many miles a day they could drive on shift.

Yep, she left a great legacy behind here.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8126 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If electric cars turn out to be popular, eventually charging station availability will improve. In the early days of automobiling, gas stations were few and far between, too. Now, except for a very few remote areas where there are no services for 100-mile stretches, is there any place you can't find gasoline? Karl Benz had to make gasoline for his (the very first) car. That's how the free market works.

Posts: 27984 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
If electric cars turn out to be popular, eventually charging station availability will improve. In the early days of automobiling, gas stations were few and far between, too. Now, except for a very few remote areas where there are no services for 100-mile stretches, is there any place you can't find gasoline? Karl Benz had to make gasoline for his (the very first) car. That's how the free market works.

Yeah, sure. Maybe. But what does that have to do with elitist entitlement? This is an epic PR disaster, and a well-deserved one. If the MSM chooses to actually cover it rather than cover it up.

Posts: 2490 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Until they can figure out how to make charging a car as fast as pulling up to a gas station and filling up and putting these charging stations everywhere, I can’t see how this will ever work.

My local Wawa now has an entire row of charging stations and I don’t see very many people using them.

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Until they can figure out how to make charging a car as fast as pulling up to a gas station and filling up and putting these charging stations everywhere, I can’t see how this will ever work.

My local Wawa now has an entire row of charging stations and I don’t see very many people using them.

That,combined with limited range make it untenable. The throughput at charging stations is nowhere close to that of a gas station. Ten minutes at a gas pump would get me approximately 500 miles of range. How much does a 10 minute charge get you?

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I got my AAA member magazine. In it they sugar coat EV charging while giving numbers for charge time.
Level 1, Home charging: gain up to 5 miles for each hour.

Level 2: ...gain 10-30 miles for each hour.

Level 3: 100-200 miles for 30 minutes charging.

AAA will provide 2 hours Level 2 free at their offices.
Aaaaand AAA will provide road service with a tank of juice good for 10-20 miles. Whoopie!

I am NOT impressed!
It would take maybe 8 hours home charge to drive to my range and back. Not to mention the road service for the extra trip to the gun store...

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
No! Ignore all of this reality stuff!

We can only talk about 0-60 times... and those of you who drive to work 1/4 mile at a time.

Now a word from our (tire) sponsor.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 9167 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
This shite would have been difficult at best, with govt promotion and subsidies when times were good. What made these geniuses think it would be a great idea to ruin the economy at the same time?

Nobody wants this shit and now, very few can afford it.

As Jerry used to say on Seinfeld, 'Oh yeah, this can't miss'.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Where I'm located every other vehicle is pulling a large camper or boat or both. Or large trailers pulling equipment for construction or lawn care equipment. What does that do to your charge time/mileage calculations? These folks will need to go back to the horse drawn wagon. The government does not want to spend the kind of money it takes for rehabilitating all of our infrastructure needs much less the electrical grid all they want to do add more things to the camels back and take away the things that help support it like fossil fuels.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8537 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Until a system is devised with universal battery packs that you can exchange at a “service center” and get back on the road with a “full tank” that won’t wreck the grid, electric cars are not the answer.

Without such a system, you will be limited to short hops to the store, work, or very short trips for entertainment/ relaxation. No more long drives to the beach, the mountains, etc… which is exactly what they want IMO.

And let’s not forget where the vast majority of electrical power to charge all those cars comes from, and will continue to come from- fossil fuels.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15616 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
If the Energy department is convinced that EV are the bee's knees, why then was an ICE vehicle part of the entourage? Live by the sword, die by the sword.

I have nothing against EV. I have everything against the lack of standard charging technology, the lack of concern regarding capacity and stability of the power grid, the length of time to recharge, the lack of range under certain conditions and the forced march to an immature technology.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 721 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Literally no one with half a brain thinks electric cars are ready for a 4 day cross country driving trip. Literally a minute percentages of the population does it. Depending on where you live they are fine for a 600mile trip using one fill up. Otherwise if you are one of the rare people that does travel great distances all the time an EV as an only car is not for you.

I don’t get what is so hard to understand about this.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
You'd have to be a literal retard to try this in anything other than a Tesla. No one else has the infrastructure to support this type of trip.

No one...

The lack of planning and common sense is astounding. I think record Tesla Cannonball run is like 43 hours. (Yes a extreme example of a "road trip" but shows it's viable.)

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hamden106:

Aaaaand AAA will provide road service with a tank of juice good for 10-20 miles. Whoopie!

So a wrecker that gets 7-8 MPG gets dispatched to charge a car enough to get them off the exit?

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For reference the gas car cannonball record is under 26 hours from NY to CA 2900 miles.

A friend from CA visited me here in FL while on a cross country road trip in a Tesla. At least the computer inside the car tells you where the next charging spots are. And it’s my understanding there is an underground group of owners that will let random other owners charge at their residence. Planning my hotel stays to make sure I get a charging port each night sounds atrocious.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Bad enough to have to sit at a gas station in a sketchy neighborhood for five or so minutes for a fill up,let alone sitting at a charging station for an hour.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8126 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, oil hit $90 a barrel last night. We're fastly heading back to $4.50-$5.00 gas.

This fucking administration is doing everything it can to make life as hard as possible on Americans.

My wife and I are house hunting right now. What a downright depressing, soul crushing experience.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30423 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Meanwhile, oil hit $90 a barrel last night.

Well the Saudi's are still throttling supply, meanwhile the admin did this:
Biden administration cancels years-long attempt to drill in Alaska National Wildlife Refuge

Everyone knows this is all deliberate.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post