SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yesterday was Match Day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yesterday was Match Day Login/Join 
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted
Several esteemed members will know instantly what that means.

Otherwise to those who do not know, I am one step closer on my journey to a second career in medicine. Yesterday I found out where I matched to a residency to train following graduation from medical school (class of 2018 here).

It has been an amazing path to this point. Ups and downs, hard work, a little luck and a lot of support from family and friends. I even remember another member started around the same time; Chem Geek I think?

Dark humor that creeps into everyone medical sooner or later has come up with the expression among my closest classmates "It was really touch and go there for about 4 years" Wink

The work is really only beginning in order to make it through residency, but I thankfully matched at my top choice program.

Soon it will be no longer Mr. Spacemonkey

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11146 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Big Grin

Who'd you get? What's your specialty?

Posts: 32606 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, my nephew is a graduate of MSU medical school, seems like yesterday.

Posts: 5320 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Congrats, doc! Cool

Q

Posts: 26640 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Match Day! Ah, yes! Congratulations on getting your top match! I didn't, and I've been grateful ever since. I went to a university residency program that was much more focused on medical practice rather than research. A classmate who stayed at our Ivy-league school for residency had a much harder time, I think. Anyway, that was a long time ago, and my medical career is in its twilight years (still practicing but as a volunteer at Naval hospital).
Entering medicine, and later cardiology, I count as the best decisions I ever made, after marrying my wife of 49 years.

Your hard work is certainly not over, but you will make it through, and if you are really cut out to be a physician you will be a blessing for your patients through many years.

Posts: 18128 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Short coat, long coat, no coat...or so it goes. Mind sharing where you matched? There’s a good chance some members here might have worked there or lived in the area to give you some pointers. Specialty?

In regards to residency the old adage of “never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lay down, never just lay down when you can sleep” rings true.

I’m sure you’ve read In the House of God but if you haven’t I would also read Complications, When Breath Becomes Air, and When the Air Hits the Brain if you haven’t already.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

My buddy is in full-time ministry to med school students and had let me in on how big of a deal the day was. Nothing like it exists in my profession - engineering.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23380 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always thought this was a strange event. As a physician assistant I can pursue any specialty at any time in my career, having done family practice emergency medicine general orthopedics, hand and upper extremity and joint replacement.
As I understand it during “match day” students have to pick a bunch of choices. You might have your heart set on general surgery but only end up matching internal medicine which commits you to a career which is not exactly what you hoped and worked for. Screwed up if you ask me. Many of the doctors I worked with ( especially EM trained) often told me how frustrated they were having burned out in EM but unable to move to a different specialty without doing another residency.

Posts: 3310 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31510 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I always thought this was a strange event. As a physician assistant I can pursue any specialty at any time in my career, having done family practice emergency medicine general orthopedics, hand and upper extremity and joint replacement.
As I understand it during “match day” students have to pick a bunch of choices. You might have your heart set on general surgery but only end up matching internal medicine which commits you to a career which is not exactly what you hoped and worked for. Screwed up if you ask me. Many of the doctors I worked with ( especially EM trained) often told me how frustrated they were having burned out in EM but unable to move to a different specialty without doing another residency.

It’s ususally not matching to a specific location not speciality. Often students who feel they might be less competitive will have back up specialties as choices if they don’t match with their top choice. For instance neurosurgery is highly competitive so often students will have orthopedic surgery as a backup. If they fail to match they don’t simply place you in another specialty unless you elected beforehand. I read that this year over 250 students didn’t match at all.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Yup...knew exactly what you meant with your thread title. CONGRATULATIONS on getting your first choice!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read that this year over 250 students didn’t match at all.

Scary fact even after SOAP and Scramble.

New medical schools (especially Osteopathic) have been opening and seem to be outpacing the generation of GME spots. Though I suppose there will still be "undesirable" programs out there that might not even fill with the most desperate candidates.

With the GME Merger (MD and DO will have unified graduate medical education) coming in 2020, there are DO programs that are sunsetting and not even applying for accreditation, whereas others are at various points along the accreditation process.

Foreign trained grads used to be able to snatch up Family, Peds, Psych, and some IM spots along with occasionally more competitive specialties. Now it seems those folks are getting close to being completely doomed.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11146 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember Match Day like it was only yesterday. I got my number one match!!!

Posts: 6636 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Well I hope you picked a lucrative in demand specialty. I can never find a urologist, hand surgeon, or dermatologist when I need a consult Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I was pre med for five years in college. At least that's what I told every girl I met. They sure like doctors!

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!

I remember mine from 26 years ago (?!?!). Best of luck with your continued career!!

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats, man!

Another major milestone reached.

Best wishes during residency!

MudPhud

Posts: 41 | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Congrats and good luck! Maybe it will be better when you finish. I certainly hope so.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20328 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the next step in your career. Seems like yesterday that I held my breath as the Match was released. Residency was a lot of hard work, vey rewarding and a distinct rite of passage!

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post