SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alaska trip planning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska trip planning Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted
Planning an AK trip with a friend. Probably two people may be a third.

Looking to see the outdoors and wildlife of Alaska. Denali is on the list, see a glacier(or even get on one although cost is a factor). While never been to AK and I know it is its own beast we are all experienced in the outdoors. Although not looking to camp(not packing that kind of gear) do want to get out and see the outdoors and get some amazing pictures.

Kenai Fjords is on the planning list right now. Also, Exit Glacier as it looks like you can stop and hike to a view of the glacier.

Depending on timing wouldn't mind seeing the bears feeding during the salmon runs.

I know we have some people that know the area. What are must see? Looking at a ten day trip. Flying into Anchorage. Cost is a factor but willing to pony up of a great tour or adventure.

I have seen the options of a bus or train to Denali and flying out. Also taking a flight that lands on a glacier. Again can't do all the things I have seen because of cost but one or two tours are possible and then other stuff. Hiking is a must but want to get the most out of our time, so would like to do hikes that can have great views and/or wildlife.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16406 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
Matanuska Glacier is about 2 hours outside Anchorage along the Glenn Highway.

I was there in 2006, and you could walk all over that thing. Short walk from the parking lot. Not sure if they still allow it though.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The trip down to Homer was worth it. Out on the Spit, we experienced the shock of a small quake out near Kodiak, so that was interesting.

We primarily hiked/camped during out 2 week stay, so we did something different than what you’re planning. Enjoy your trip!!!

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I lived in Anchorage for 5 years. Here is a 6 page list of things to do and tips for visiting that I used to send to people visiting me (last updated in ‘17).

Taking the train places you’ll see sights you’ll never see from the road. However, it’s slooowwww and IMO only worth doing on a 1 way trip.

Your Kenai Fjords trip is a good idea but if you like fishing you’ll see the same glaciers and same sea life on a charter fishing boat for darn near the same money plus the bonus of fishing. The halfday salmon and rockfish trips out of Seward are my basis for this statement (full day halibut trips are more money).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23306 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
When are you going?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19223 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I lived in Anchorage for 5 years. Here is a 6 page list of things to do and tips for visiting that I used to send to people visiting me (last updated in ‘17).

Taking the train places you’ll see sights you’ll never see from the road. However, it’s slooowwww and IMO only worth doing on a 1 way trip.

Your Kenai Fjords trip is a good idea but if you like fishing you’ll see the same glaciers and same sea life on a charter fishing boat for darn near the same money plus the bonus of fishing. The halfday salmon and rockfish trips out of Seward are my basis for this statement (full day halibut trips are more money).

Hey that is a great write up. I just read it through. When we were up there years ago, we chartered a small plane at Talkeetna and flew around Denali on a clear day. Amazing. We also drove to Wrangell-St Elias and all the way to Kennecott and McCarthy. Really cool part of the trip.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:

I was there in 2006, and you could walk all over that thing. Short walk from the parking lot. Not sure if they still allow it though.

I was just going to say this, Matanuska Glacier is a nice drive from anchorage ~ 2 hours or so. You can pay 25 dollars a person and get on the actual glacier. They have longer guided tours you can do if you want. I was just there last week with my wife, she’d never been there.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Hey that is a great write up. I just read it through. When we were up there years ago, we chartered a small plane at Talkeetna and flew around Denali on a clear day. Amazing. We also drove to Wrangell-St Elias and all the way to Kennecott and McCarthy. Really cool part of the trip.

The Kennecott mine and McCarthy is awesome, I’m lucky that I have a former co worker who keeps a nice f150 in anchorage but works in ththe bush, I was able to use that truck to drive out there. Lots of rents companies will void the contract if you drive their vehicles on that road, or so I’ve been told, I never did it.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider renting a car/small SUV out of ANC, it will give you much more flexibility. We did our own tour last year, flew into ANC and drove to Whittier, Seward, and then Homer. Then back to Anchorage to Denali, Fairbanks, and Delta Junction, close to four weeks all on paved roads. If you're doing 10 days, Denali may be your last stop.

AK has a short tourist season, plan ahead and make reservations early. Summer days are VERY long,you can cram a lot of sightseeing into one day.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:

I was just going to say this, Matanuska Glacier is a nice drive from anchorage ~ 2 hours or so. You can pay 25 dollars a person and get on the actual glacier. They have longer guided tours you can do if you want. I was just there last week with my wife, she’d never been there.
You can also white water raft in dry suits

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23306 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If possible I would try to book a guide for a day of Salmon fishing. Enjoy the outdoors & have some fun....especially if King Salmon hits it....your reel will go off and hold on tight!!

Posts: 3233 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Denali is absolutely worth a couple of days at least. Seeing it from the air can be iffy depending on the weather. We were there in August 2000 and it was completely socked in. Another time, in March 2014, was perfectly clear blue sky all around. Go figure.

Mosquitos have a ferocious reputation in Alaska, but when we drove up there in 2000 we actually had a lot more trouble from them in BC than in Alaska.

The Kenai Peninsula is worth at least one long day, or two if you want to take a fishing trip out of either Homer or Seward. Depending on when you go during the summer, some type of salmon - King/Chinook, Silver/Coho or Red/Sockeye - will probably be running in the Kenai River. It might be worth checking into a one-day guided fishing trip on the Kenai out of Soldotna or someplace else.

One thing I didn't do but would have liked to, would be to take a one or two day trip to the McNeil River bear viewing site. I think you have to a permit for that, and they're limited in number so you have to get your request in early.

Posts: 7272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post