SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When life gives you Pork belly, you make?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When life gives you Pork belly, you make? Login/Join 
posted
Bacon to feed a house of Rooks.

What are your favorite pork belly recipes? This is a standard cure, with brown sugar.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Pork belly tacos………….mmmmmmm

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10495 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Pork Belly Burnt Ends is to die for. Smile

Posts: 22936 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Bacon to feed a house of Rooks.

What are your favorite pork belly recipes? This is a standard cure, with brown sugar.

What cut of belly is that in the lower/right in the pic ? Never seen a belly striated like that !

Now that I look at it more it reminds me of a muscle out of the shoulder, love shoulder bacon.

I use a pretty traditional cure with ratios from Digging Dog Farm calculator....6.25% cure #1 Prague, 2% salt and 1.5% Turbiano sugar.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Genorogers,

Posts: 935 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I use a wet brine with salt, brown sugar, and Prague powder (using the Amazing Ribs Calculator). Then smoke with equal parts apple and hickory.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Pork Belly- yet another of the great Mississippi blues guitarists, lost to history.

Posts: 107686 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Save a few slices for a big pot of black eye peas! Smile

Posts: 3226 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
I see some very good BLTs in your future.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Pork Belly Burnt Ends is to die for. Smile

This!! I make pork belly burnt ends on my Weber 22" Smokey Mountain. My family eats it all!! No leftovers!!

Nick
nick_mur

Posts: 98 | Location: Peoria IL | Registered: December 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vac-packed it all, and have it cooling for the upcoming trip.

If you have never made your own bacon, pancetta or hams it is well worth the time spent.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:

What cut of belly is that in the lower/right in the pic ? Never seen a belly striated like that !

Now that I look at it more it reminds me of a muscle out of the shoulder, love shoulder bacon.

I use a pretty traditional cure with ratios from Digging Dog Farm calculator....6.25% cure #1 Prague, 2% salt and 1.5% Turbiano sugar.

It was a chunk that was in the sealed packet that came with the pork belly. I am betting it is from the shoulder used to bring that package up to a specific weight.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My local grocer slices them about an inch thick/squarish, leaves the length alone, and sells them as pork steaks/strips. $4.99 a pound.

Great on the grill!!!

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Great looking bacon. I've done a dry cure and wet brine with the digging dog calculator and prefer the wet brine bacon.

Posts: 3466 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Pork Belly- yet another of the great Mississippi blues guitarists, lost to history.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I want a pork belly taco.. Cool

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Our favorite use of pork belly is in a Japanese pork miso soup similar to this one: https://www.justonecookbook.com/tonjiru/

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Was that's Lead Bellys cousin? I vaguely remember watching him play at the House of Blues back in the 20's Wink

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5761 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
Our favorite use of pork belly is in a Japanese pork miso soup similar to this one: https://www.justonecookbook.com/tonjiru/

That is on the list.

Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post

Samgyupsal.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I've never made pork belly burnt ends, but I've been dying to try this:

Posts: 5765 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post