SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What’s the oldest cooler in your rotation?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s the oldest cooler in your rotation? Login/Join 
posted

It’s been three hours at the pool 90ish and she’s held up pretty well.

She perfectly fits a six pack of cans. Kinda cracks me up to rock the Igloo in front of or the Yeti’s, etc.

EDIT: I think we’ve had this cooler for 21-22 years.

Nothing wrong with modern equipment. Just fun to rock the classics.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Underdog,

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I don't have a cooler rotation, but I do have an Igloo that's at least 25 years old & another over 30 years old.

I've often been tempted to get a Yeti, but we don't really go anywhere where we can't easily replace ice when needed, and the old Igloos are still plugging away after all these years of camping, etc. They won't keep ice as long as the Yetis, but I can buy a heck of a lot of ice for the price of a Yeti.

If we were going into the wilderness for days, where I couldn't get ice, it might be a different story though.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I only have two coolers. One of the igloo ones with the top that rotates (it's my lunch box) and a yeti 45. Got it for too good of a price. It replaced the pelican I had (that went to my brother). Holds ice for similar time, but the yeti takes up equal space with a larger size than the pelican (pelican had fixed handles that stuck out). If it wasn't for the price I got it for, I would have looked at rtic or orca. They are all similar anyway.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:

I've often been tempted to get a Yeti, but we don't really go anywhere where we can't easily replace ice when needed, and the old Igloos are still plugging away after all these years of camping, etc. They won't keep ice as long as the Yetis, but I can buy a heck of a lot of ice for the price of a Yeti.

If we were going into the wilderness for days, where I couldn't get ice, it might be a different story though.

Toss a couple pounds or 5-7 pounds chunk of Dry Ice in the cooler, then add the regular bags of ice.

It'll last a lot longer.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I have a mid 1980s Coleman that is metal on the outside. Still use it.
It's about 36 years old.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
How old y'all think this one is? Probably 80's. I've had it for 10 years or so. Got it at a yard sale. One of the hinges cracked but I repaired underneath it with clear rubber tubing.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I'm just gonna guess that you can't buy replacement hinges. They'd rather you buy a new cooler than fix the old one.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm just gonna guess that you can't buy replacement hinges.

Ah. but you can! I've bought hinges, latches , and even those little button thingys on the playmates.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
How old y'all think this one is? Probably 80's. I've had it for 10 years or so. Got it at a yard sale. One of the hinges cracked but I repaired underneath it with clear rubber tubing.

I have one something like that, but it's pre-1968. It's older than I am. It was my dad's, I have found memories of picnics, family gatherings, and vacations and it was always there.

After I "inherited" it, it spent many years in the back of my Jeep on the range when I was really into NRA High Power. Also off road trails.

Now, it rarely gets used. Still sit in the garage, ready for the next adventure

ARmam

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Coleman is sweet!

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
My only cooler is a 50 quart Yeti. It's performance has been outstanding
these past 5 years. Very handy for various provision shopping
since our summer temperatures are running so high.

Grannies 50s era Coleman was past repair.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
1996 or 1997. I know where I lived when I bought it.

It's been relegated to use as a faux cambro. In other words, when I cook BBQ that I need to keep warm then I put towels in it, put a stockpot of boiling water in it to preheat, remove stockpot, and hold the BBQ 2 to 4 hours.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1972 coleman. works mint. But I don't get the rotation part, do you change them like some people do on carry guns.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I might get a yeti or most likely an rtic cooler. Last year I bought an igloo cooler from Costco and that piece of shit can’t keep things cold inside the car on a 12 hour drive. It was so bad I tossed it a couple weeks ago on a dump run. Should have taken it back to Costco I suppose.

The new coolers are stupid pricy especially if you go all yeti fashionista but at the end of the day they do work better. For 179 bucks I’m probably going to end up with the lightweight rtic 52.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I had an old Igloo, circa 80's that would keep ice for days. It got trashed in a wreck I was in.

I've bought 2 Igloos earlier this summer a hard case and soft case. Hard case advertised keeping ice for 5 days, lucky to get 2 days, even keeping it in the shade.
Cost $100 bucks, what a waste
The soft case one turned out to be just a dressed up ice bucket. Pure Igloo crap.
Old stuff was much better

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I might get a yeti or most likely an rtic cooler.

intended as informational post on RTIC:
Couple years ago I was looking hard at top of the line Pelican long rifle models....got promotional deal on what seemed like virtual clone for under 50% on RTIC.

Very impressive, I bought a couple more for family members. The few little differences are insignificant in my limited use. Don't know how they avoided copyright issue.

IF RTIC (pronounced "Artic" I since learned)
coolers are as smack-on copy for materials/design/assembly as on the gun case, it would be worthy of close inspection.

The Yeti continues to provide high satisfaction
in my own use. Other than a once-trendy stupid expensive product, their design has been satisfying every time I use it.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
1972 coleman. works mint. But I don't get the rotation part, do you change them like some people do on carry guns.

I have 4 coolers but they have different uses. That old Coleman stays on the truck or gets used down at the fire pit. I have a 15 year old igloo on wheels. A yeti hopper 30 that was a gift when they first came out. It's fine but very heavy and hard to load. Then this year we got a yeti backpack that I really like a lot. Comfortable and easy to tote and to load for a day at the beach or on the boat.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Oh crap, are we supposed to rotate them? Frown

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I'm just gonna guess that you can't buy replacement hinges. They'd rather you buy a new cooler than fix the old one.
Academy stocks a lot of hinges and latches .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
My family rotated in one of the red metal Coleman coolers in about 1975 and it has yet to rotate out.
Metal latch, metal handles with built in bottle openers, metal hinges. Metal body, except the bottom 3 inches and the inside of course. A little white tray that slides along the top edge of the inside to keep small stuff out of the ice/water. Was perfect for keeping sandwich stuff when travelling to Miami for the Orange Bowl on New Years 1985-86 in the familiar gray Oldsmobuick.

Still used weekly with blue ice packs to bring home cold groceries in the trunk. Especially important in hot Texas summers. It also stays put (no sliding) while driving on the Weathertech trunk liners we use.
I managed to break the drain plug off it's little (actual) plastic hinge this past winter. So I guess it's off to Academy for a 'modern' plastic flex hinge replacement at some point.

There is no doubt that the modern coolers are worlds more efficient at preserving ice and remaining closed when thrown down an embankment. This one works pretty good, is stable in the trunk even empty, and has bottle openers to boot. I'm fine with it.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post