SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Magazine restrictions are discriminatory against the handicapped >>>>>>>
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazine restrictions are discriminatory against the handicapped >>>>>>> Login/Join 
posted
I recently sprained my left wrist so I have very limited use of my left hand. So everyday activities like dressing, pulling up your pants, tying your shoes, are very hard and awkward, even as I type this with just my right hand. I just realized while CCWing that if I had a stoppage or had to change out my magazine I would not be able to do so quickly, and thus realized how these restrictions are even more discriminatory against handicapped people. I wonder if someone that is handicapped living in a magazine capacity restricted state could bring up a court case against the state and win. Just my thoughts and observation. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3072 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
And poor people since they now have to buy more mags. And those freakin' things are expensive!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30449 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Simple rule of thumb, "...shall not be infringed" means exactly that. I'm not entertaining any more gun, mag, ammo, or other firearms restrictions/infringements.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I really think your next call should be to the ACLU. I'm sure they'll take up your cause post haste. *s*

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1869 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
I believe in California at one point they were trying to overturn the "Handgun Roster" based on something like that.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you brought this up. I am formulating 'emotional' reason against the draconian gun control coming to Virginia.

When considering the mag restriction I could only think of my elderly mother who doesn't Have the greatest dexterity. She can't fire 99mm defense ammo so chances are she will need a good number of rounds in a worst case scenario. 10 round restrictions would severely hamper her defense ability.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
I'm glad you brought this up. I am formulating 'emotional' reason against the draconian gun control coming to Virginia.

When considering the mag restriction I could only think of my elderly mother who doesn't Have the greatest dexterity. She can't fire 99mm defense ammo so chances are she will need a good number of rounds in a worst case scenario. 10 round restrictions would severely hamper her defense ability.

I think part of the problem is that 99mm is typically crew served. She should probably look into a smaller caliber.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27027 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hahahah. Autocorrect strikes again!

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
If the NRA was worth anything they would have funded lawsuits of thousands of handicapped, elderly, and small women to deregulate SBRs and remove magazine limits.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
I recently sprained my left wrist so I have very limited use of my left hand. So everyday activities like dressing, pulling up your pants, tying your shoes, are very hard and awkward, even as I type this with just my right hand. I just realized while CCWing that if I had a stoppage or had to change out my magazine I would not be able to do so quickly, and thus realized how these restrictions are even more discriminatory against handicapped people. I wonder if someone that is handicapped living in a magazine capacity restricted state could bring up a court case against the state and win. Just my thoughts and observation. God Bless !!! Smile

After the Colorado magazine capacity restriction law went into effect there were several law suits filed in opposition. There were several arguments filed as to why the restriction was both Unconstitutional and ill-considered, but one of the main arguments was specifically this, that the magazine capacity restriction discriminated against those who were physically challenged, some on crutches, some in walkers, and some in wheel chairs and their Second Amendment right to use a firearm to defend themselves... and violated the American with Disabilities Act (ADA)

Both the district court and the appeals court rejected the argument. However, the Colorado Supreme Court is now hearing the case and so we'll see what they have to say about it. Although I hope that this court overturns the previous rulings and finds the law unconstitutional... if they too rule that the law can stand, it may set the stage for the law to be appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post