SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Next of Kin Registry (NOKR)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Next of Kin Registry (NOKR) Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
Has anyone signed up for this, or if you are a LEO or medical person used it? The website is www.nokr.org. After our dad passed away and our mom needed additional care she moved from our childhood town 6hrs from here to an assisted living facility near my brother and I. Our parents have always been up front with estate planning and I took care of everything for my grandparents', and mom and dad's assets to keep them out of probate.

My 75yr old uncle is still back home, living by himself, in good health as far as I know. He's odd and eccentric and possibly the "millionaire next door." Our mother and then my brother and I are his only next of kin. I'm still working on how to broach the topic of estate planning with him, but right now my biggest concern is just being notified if something bad happens to him so I know and can help. When I practiced law in a small town one if the doctors passed away and nobody knew his heirs. The police went to all 3 or 4 attorneys in town to see if he had a will. Our office did and it turned out he had a brother halfway across the country.

An interwebs search landed on the Next of Kin Registry. Do police actually use it? Should I just call the local police and see if they could do a CAD entry so my name would pull up if they were involved?

Posts: 2528 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was a cop, we got sent to welfare checks daily.....

I’d call the local 911center and speak to someone in data to enter your info in the cad notes...they can flag almost anything to remain on top for the visiting officers. Key locations, code to get in the electronic door, code for a knoxbox....etc.

When I ran across someone in distress I always tried their phone and looked for MOM in their contacts. My new phone has emergency infor available even if it’s locked. Includes name, photo, medical issues, and someone to call....

In older peoples homes I found a sheet of paper on the fridge with phone lists...or we just started calling the munbers on medication bottles for a doctor

I encouraged my family to place a sheet on the fridge with this important info

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11309 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
You could contact the dispatch center and ask to be listed as a contact for the address, with a note of being family. He might have to request that though.

Lots of other options, as you see, but that is the first place we’d check. Next would be call history, in case your information was included in a prior call for service’s notes. Next would be any prior reports that include you as a contact.

Much beyond that it’s starting to be a PITA with little expectation of success from a patrol-level research perspective. Meaning they will probably give up and let someone else figure it out later.

Another option would be to contact the area hospitals and have yourself added to his documentation as a contact. Again though, you may require his approval.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm 82 and live alone. I do have some concerns about what would occur when I finally "kick off". There are people who would no doubt notice my absence within several days, or in one case might actually discover my corpse within that interval, but very few of such persons would know who in my family to contact, or even who my Executor is. Although my health is fairly good and stable, I do have some concerns about it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Sort of related:
My wife and I did the living will and other assorted documents last spring. The attorney helping us gave us a book titled “I’m dead, now what?”

You can get it for about $14 from Amazon. It is a complete guide for whomever you are leaving in charge after you are gone.

The tabbed sections include: Personal, Medical, Key Contacts, Time of my passing, My dependents, Important documents, Financial and Business.

We have told our daughter where she can find it in the house. It is hidden since the book has sensitive information.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The county I live in utilizes Smart911 and I think this is what the OP is looking for (assuming his uncle lives in a County that uses it).

It has emergency contacts and you can put anyone you want. I have 2 listed and it says I can add more.

It also has questions about whether or not you have advanced directives and where it is located.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23332 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
So, some basic ideas:

A) Don’t hide the will.
B) Don’t put last statements, burial instructions, etc in it.
C) Use a password manager, and have information on how to gain access to it.
D) Any really sensitive files/personal stuff which you don’t need too often, and want destroyed on your death, are best, IMO, stored on a archive grade Blu-ray Disc, with instructions to be destroyed, unreviewed.

Posts: 5748 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post