SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Please tell me all the reasons I should 'not' buy this (Motorcycle related)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please tell me all the reasons I should 'not' buy this (Motorcycle related) Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
I've ridden motorcycles across the years, and absolutely love to ride. But slowly across time, each bike I owned was sold off, with the last one going 10 years ago. The bug to ride has never left me, and after lying somewhat dormant for several years, is back with a passion. So I'm toying with doing something I swore I'd never do...buy another bike. Here's the rub. I don't want a sport bike, a bagger, a tourer, a thumper, a little metric, a big HD, or a dual sport. I don't anticipate riding any real distances (just around town and some local rides), so long range comfort and capabilities isn't an issue. I really want something, maybe nostalgic, that will respond with some power and handle relatively well. After window shopping the web for a few weeks, I think I've settled on '2' possibilities. Here they are...

Indian FTR1200 S - The replica flat tracker. Man dose this thing make my juices flow. Love the nostalgic looks, and from what I've read, it's both capable and torquey. Little pricey, but a good used one should help ease that pain.

Kawasaki Z900rs The homage to the 70's Z1 I wasn't in a position to buy at the time. Again, I love the looks and how honest a bike this appears to be. A nice one of these would be very easy on the pocketbook too.

So those of you who ride, if you had to choose between these two options, which would you choose and why? Alternatively, should I just hit the pharmacy and try and find something to get rid of that itch? Wink Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
That Kawasaki is sexy, the Indian looks quirky to me

Posts: 5560 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man , I hate you ! I've just recently got the itch myself after years of no scooter. I have been looking at both a go-faster like you are looking at , or a cruiser for long putts on the weekends in the Country. Be that as it may, I would go with the Indian , a little heavier but more POWER ! You only live once , but die forever ! I'm actually looking at a Harley for under $10K and there are a lot of them. I am also looking at Triumphs.

Posts: 387 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whats the cost of each bike? Then I will decide.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm older than I look
posted Hide Post
Test ride?

I like comfort. Both look like fine bikes. If you're just going to putz around town, get something even cheaper and then put the rest of the money on a scooter.

Posts: 1941 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
The Kawasaki.

Indian has lost it’s “heritage”, as it has been scuttled and restarted numerous times. Doesn’t Polaris own them now? You are basically just paying for a name, that has lost it’s legacy. Just my opinion, but why pay that much for a bike when the other will do just the same. And will have better dealer support.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10558 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Those both look fun to me. It would be a hard choice, but I would lean towards the Indian provided it felt 'right'.

I currently have an '05 Yamaha FJR 1300 that I love. One of my prior bikes was a Buell XB12S. Somewhat similar to the Indian in some regards. Regret selling it, it was stupid-fun.

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 425 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I would probably pick the Indian. I almost went to look at one but ended up getting a KTM 890 Duke R.

Check out Triumph's new Trident 660: https://www.triumphmotorcycles...es/roadsters/trident

Posts: 3248 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The Kawasaki looks a little too 80s UJM, so I'd get the Indian.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Both are nice, but I think I'd go with the Indian. I'd also have to ride an Indian Scout Bobber, and a Ducati Monster.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12943 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
Doesn’t Polaris own them now?
Yep. But the up side is Polaris has the capital to keep manufacturing them, something the original Indian company was always short of.
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
The Kawasaki looks a little too 80s UJM...
That's what drew me to it. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I'd also have to ride an Indian Scout Bobber, and a Ducati Monster.
IMO the Indian Scout Bobber is too much cruiser, with the lethargic handling most cruisers offer. I've ridden a friend's Ducati Monster and it feels too much like a naked sport bike to me. It's also very expensive both to buy and service.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
When I had a GPZ550 back in the day, I was really jealous of the throaty sound the Z900 put out with a single sided Kerker header. I was very jealous of that sound. That being said, I'm only 5'4" so I'd go for the one that I could touch the ground on.

Posts: 2047 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Dangit, bigdeal!

I'm this close to convincing myself to get away from motorcycles, and you show pics like that!

I'm a Honda guy, but that Kawasaki is really something! Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13913 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy the Indian. There are no reasons why you should not. Give in now and save yourself the agony.

Also, buy the Kawasaki.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not much for either one. The Indian especially. When they went and water cooled them it just lost the look to me.

Posts: 471 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Well you said to tell you reasons "not" to buy so here it goes..... styling.

My gracious who came up with that exhaust? Why two mufflers and why point them so vertical? Good luck tossing a set of soft saddlebags over the rear seat. I know you have no intention of "touring" rather just local rides, but you still need to have a place to carry a few things such as a rain suite, bottle of water, sweatshirt, hat, etc. Or utilize it for running errands such as picking up a few items at the store. I guess you could wear a backpack.
It looks odd with no seat, frame, or bodywork at the rear, everything stops at the rear axle. Seems like a lot of wasted space too.

quote:

Indian FTR1200 S - The replica flat tracker. Man dose this thing make my juices flow. Love the nostalgic looks, and from what I've read, it's both capable and torquey. Little pricey, but a good used one should help ease that pain.

I like this much more, if Kaw would have styled this KZ900 retro just a little more like the original they would have had a hit. On this one it's the front that's the problem. The original had a 19" front wheel with a fender than continued down to keep road crap off the front of the motor. The small 17" donut size front tire with almost no fender looks odd on this bike to me.

quote:
Kawasaki Z900rs The homage to the 70's Z1 I wasn't in a position to buy at the time. Again, I love the looks and how honest a bike this appears to be. A nice one of these would be very easy on the pocketbook too.

So those of you who ride, if you had to choose between these two options, which would you choose and why? Alternatively, should I just hit the pharmacy and try and find something to get rid of that itch? Wink Smile

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the Kawasaki...I do like the retro look. I ride a 2017 Triumph Bonneville T120.

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd get the Indian personally and then get rid of that fugly license plate holder and those mirrors.
I went and looked at one about a month ago. Very tall bike. It was the S model and had the aftermarket exhaust on it. Damn did it sound nice.
I was really close until I remembered I'm almost mid 50's and I'd kill myself on that bike.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I tore the streets up back in the day on a KZ-900 with a Kerker header and Cibie halogen headlight.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
My gracious who came up with that exhaust? Why two mufflers and why point them so vertical?

In fairness, each cylinder displaces more than all four cylinders in my FZR600. It probably takes big mufflers to meet today's noise standards.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post