SIGforum
Friend Falling to Pills & Whiskey

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5310046874

January 14, 2021, 07:11 AM
sourdough44
Friend Falling to Pills & Whiskey
Thought I put it here, maybe something I haven’t considered.

He’s 60, married 19 years, clean for over 20. Last Summer he had a surgery, ended up hooked on the pain pills. He went into a recovery program for 6 weeks, better for a while.

That was about two months ago, just recently I find out he’s heavily into drinking. He had problems earlier in life, rather serious.

I’m a mid-grade friend & hunting partner. His wife texted me, wants him to go into another program, he says no so far.

He has a pretty solid life, including upper level faith & spiritual connections with their church. His wife is really there, though anyone can reach a limit.

Besides the obvious, I may end up talking to him soon. He’s been a longtime counselor at a few jails. I don’t think a simple ‘scared straight’ talk will do much.

Just throwing it out there. Is it true, ‘they really have to want it themselves’? Wanting to do more than nothing if possible.
January 14, 2021, 07:30 AM
jimmy123x
Talk to him sooner than later. See what part of his life he's unhappy about. Then express that people care about him and are worried about him and he has a problem. But that's all you can do, they have to want to stop taking pills or stop drinking.
January 14, 2021, 07:36 AM
SIG4EVA
Talk to him and listen. Love on him.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"
January 14, 2021, 08:27 AM
sourdough44
I’ll touch base later today.
January 14, 2021, 09:14 AM
slabsides45
From what you've said, he already knows the drill, knows what people like you will say to people in his position. Still, if you approach it with love and listening, you have a great chance to break through. Best of luck!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers
January 14, 2021, 09:50 AM
Haveme1or2
Many separate alcohol from drugs when it is the same.
Just as any addict in the grip of active addiction nothing will make them stop except themselves.

With help of others that have gone through it,
there is hope.
I'd suggest Narcotics Anonymous. It's not about the substance it's about the person.
January 14, 2021, 09:58 AM
220-9er
Good luck, that's about all I can really offer.
He more than us, already knows the correct answers so there's not much to tell someone like that. Without his own willingness just don't get yourself too wrapped up in this because there is little you can really do for him and it can really drive you crazy.
If you feel otherwise, you may look into Al-Anon. It's for friends and family members trying to cope with an addict in your life (as opposed to AA which is for the addict).

January 14, 2021, 10:58 AM
drill sgt
Be a friend by talking to him but also at the same time listen to him more. As stated before he has to want to do it and get clean. . But for your friend just be there for him as much as you can. ..............drill sgt.
January 14, 2021, 07:04 PM
sourdough44
A little movement in a good direction. He & his wife are starting with a visit to the pastor tomorrow. It’s a church with resources along those lines.

She had wanted him to go off to a treatment program out of the area. The plan with the pastor is something anyway.

It’s been bad the last few days, including walking off when all the keys are hidden. One of his trucks is two hours away. I was gonna get it, the wife said wait a while.

Yes, he is familiar with treatment programs, kinda kicking himself for falling into this.
January 14, 2021, 07:07 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Maybe a little drive over to the twin cities area would be in order.
January 14, 2021, 07:15 PM
sourdough44
What’s in the Twin Cities??
January 14, 2021, 08:40 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Actually slightly North of there in Center City. These guys wrote the book on addiction treatment. Here is the link: https://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/

The Sopranos actually made a joke about this when discussing Christopher's Coke problem. The AA guy told Chrisopher that if Tony{the Mob's boss} found out he was using again he would not get a plane trip to Minnesota, but wind up as mulch for the roses.
January 14, 2021, 09:18 PM
Sigfest
Boy that’s too bad. I’ll pray for him. I hope he finds peace.
January 14, 2021, 09:32 PM
VictimNoMore
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:

Is it true, ‘they really have to want it themselves’?

Yes. Very true.