SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP washing machine. Need a new one. -edit- Got a new one.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP washing machine. Need a new one. -edit- Got a new one. Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
We had a Maytag Bravos (probably 12 years old). It died today. Last night the it gave a huge bang and today it’s throwing an F51 error code. I think it’s time for a new one. What’s the go to brand that I should be looking at? I don’t really want a front loader, do I? We need large capacity to wash comforters.

The old Maytag didn’t have the agitator and the wife prefers one without. I think it did a good job without.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Speed Queen analog is my choice but it does have an agitator and the capacity is not as large as some. Our set was new in fall of 2016 and it has been trouble free.

I buy Whirlpool appliances as a rule and this SQ set replaced a good WP set that we left at our old house.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Speed Queen analog is my choice but it does have an agitator and the capacity is not as large as some. Our set was new in fall of 2016 and it has been trouble free.

I buy Whirlpool appliances as a rule and this SQ set replaced a good WP set that we left at our old house.
Can it fit a Queen sized comforter?

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
When my washing machine kicked the bucket in February the local appliance store had a very diminished selection to choose from due to COVID. I got a GE model with a 5 year warranty because it was the one with the longest warranty. You may (or may not) run into a diminished availability scenario when shopping.

Posts: 3148 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

Yes

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
We have a 4 cubic feet washer now (the dead one) I'm not sure I want to go down to a 3.2 cubic feet. We do make use of the extra capacity.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

Maybe, Speed Queens are only rated at around 3.5 cu ft...... you can get top loader Whirlpool/maytags over 5 cu feet. I'd go with a Maytag or Whirlpool. I miss my front loading duets (left them at a rental property) they did an incredible job in cleaning, wrinkle free, and virtually dry when the washer was done. I went with whirlpool cabrio top loaders for more capacity and they do a very good job, but the front loaders were incredible.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
I just installed these today. My Whirlpool set lasted 10 years. These were not cheap, but they make the wife happy.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Can't recommend what to buy, but I can recommend what to avoid at all costs: Samsung. Don't even think about it. If you go to a store and they start pushing Samsung: Run away.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The wife heard a long while back that front loaders eventually leak. Is that old news? Still a concern?

I’d imagine that’s an easy fix by replacing the seal.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Can't recommend what to buy, but I can recommend what to avoid at all costs: Samsung. Don't even think about it. If you go to a store and they start pushing Samsung: Run away.
Yes, I’d also like to know what to avoid. I’m no fan of LG anything so that’s already on my no-go list.

posted Hide Post
I have a Whirlpool top loader. No complaints

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The wife heard a long while back that front loaders eventually leak. Is that old news? Still a concern?

I’d imagine that’s an easy fix by replacing the seal.

I bought my front loader, a Kenmore, in 2004. I have moved twice since then, it is still going strong with no leaks. Granted, it has not had a hard life. I am single, run about 2 loads/week. Also, during the first 8 years I owned it I spent about 3.5 years (cumulative) away from home on deployments/missions/trips.

Now that I have said this it will start to leak next week. Frown

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
We took recommendations from here and elsewhere and purchased a Speedqueen Classic.

The thing is a tank and washes clothes like nobody’s business.

Speedqueen

Buy once Cry once.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
FWIW, none of the several front-loading washers we have owned over the last 20 years developed leaks. None have lived long enough to. We get four or maybe five years out of them before they quit working for one reason or another. If our laundry area was able to accommodate a top load washer I’d never buy another front loader.

Posts: 26906 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
We bought a Speed Queen TC5003WN top loader a few months ago. It was recommended on Sigforum. It gets my work clothes clean and takes half the time as the front load washer it replaced. I am thinking of buying another one and keeping it as a spare in case they stop making them in ten years Smile.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
At 3.2 cubic feet I’m going to pass on the Speed Queen models.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
At 3.2 cubic feet I’m going to pass on the Speed Queen models.

Just so you know with HE machines it may say 4.9 ft³ but in reality it's only 3 ft³ that's actually usable. I will always take a smaller less efficient one than these stupid high capacity HE machines.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you're likely going to have a restricted choice of models. If you rule out HE - not saying that's a bad choice - you may not have much choice left.

HE front loaders. We've had one for years, and while it doesn't leak, it will stink up if we don't make sure the lid stays open 24x7 (except for the times it's actively washing, of course.)

The drainage isn't perfect and unless the front door seal dries out completely, it mildews. Found that out the hard way. Eeeww.

So we got a clip-on fan and aim that at the open washer, and that (along with the 'open 24x7' policy) has kept the mildew demons appeased.

I did see the link SigSAC posted above has both the meaning of your error code, along with a video about how to maybe fix it and if necessary replace the failed sensor. That would be my first try.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post