SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Perfect time.... Learning to regulate my first automatic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perfect time.... Learning to regulate my first automatic Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Awhile back, I received my first automatic watch from member stickman. Thanks again!!

I was intrigued by automatic, mechanical watches. And got pulled into regulating them - concept and how to do it.

I took a stab shortly after receiving the watch. It seemed fine at first, but I think it may have started to break in / settle in. And started to lose about 10-15 sec per day. Not bad and w/in specs but I thought it could be better (based on what I've heard).

I've let it continue to settle in, wearing the watch.

I decided to take another stab at regulating it again - including beat error (because I accidently touched it).

I tried to get it to +0-5s per day. But I'll settle for the -1s per day is been doing for the past few days.

Thanks again to stickman for the very generous gift and for letting me venture into automatics and regulation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: konata88,

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
What caliber is being shown here?

Posts: 1103 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Orient Kanno - F6922

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I only have one Orient F6922 but it keeps good time. Very similar to it's Seiko brothers but it seems to have less rotor noise than Seiko or Miyota. Hoping Orient will release some more Mako 40 variants.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I do it the old-fashioned way. I wear it all day, see how fast or slow, then bump the balance spring adjuster. Repeat the next day or two or ten, until I'm satisfied with overall rate. I don't worry about face up/down/sideways stuff. I only worry about normal wearing rate accuracy on the watch I wear everyday. I tend to like it +3-5 sec day normally wearing watch as faster is better than slower since I wont be late!

I find that this is not a great way to regulate auto watches that are not worn constantly or on a spinner. Since I only worry about the rate of the watch I currently everyday wear, it has worked out fine.

Posts: 4367 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Very cool, Konata. There's nothing like mechanical watches. If you continue to develop this hobby, I hope you will keep us up to date with what you are doing.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. There is incredible technology today with engineering precision, quartz movements, etc.

Still, there is some inexplicable satisfaction with a well regulated automatic watch.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Ahhh man! Awesome!

Excellent job!!! The joy of owning a properly regulated automatic mechanical watch is just delightful! Cool VERY few things can match that level of satisfaction and joy of ownership.

I’m glad that watch found a good home!!!!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Hey - thanks again! I'm enjoying the venture. I'm trying to fight the urge of expanding - I only need one watch at a time. The Alpinist was tempting but out of my budget as I try to prepare for a possible sudden, involuntary retirement.

Perhaps someday if/when I'm truly a man of leisure. Smile The Seamaster and Seiko Auto PADI still are eye catching for me.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Well, just a quick update.

Immense satisfaction and wonderment that, a week later, the watch has only gained 1 second.

Amazing that just something w/ gears and springs can keep time like this....