SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guacamole & Championship game
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guacamole & Championship game Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Whipped up a batch of this (extra tomato and with black olives) to enjoy with some Late July brand white corn tortilla chips during the SDSU vs Sam Houston State 2021 NCAA Divison 1 championship game today!

GO JACKRABBITS!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/re...amole-recipe-1940609

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Leave out the cilantro, put in green chilies and more garlic!

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:

No cilantro as it tastes like soap to me. Just neglected to mention that.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

No cilantro as it tastes like soap to me. Just neglected to mention that.

Now you have gone and done it Smile .
Ps. It tastes like soap to me too!

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Batch was made with 4 Haas avocados. Other ingredients scaled to match. Haven't had home made guac in a long long time. Damn, this stuff is good. Wasn't going to last the whole game. And now with a lightning delay, no question! Lol. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’m down with the chiles, but cilantro is a requirement for me. I’m so glad it doesn’t taste like soap to me. Serrano or habanero are also good.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whipped up a batch of this (extra tomato and with black olives) to enjoy with some Late July brand white corn tortilla chips during the SDSU vs Sam Houston State 2021 NCAA Divison 1 championship game today!

GO JACKRABBITS!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/re...amole-recipe-1940609

I realize people in your parts may not be the best spelling participants however, that is NOT how you spell "Aztecs." Wink

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I used to think that people who hate cilantro were just people with bad taste (no pun) or mentally challenged but it is actually a medical condition . Who knew?

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

I realize people in your parts may not be the best spelling participants however, that is NOT how you spell "Aztecs." Wink

Eh? Whaaa? No clue what you're talking about. Roll Eyes

USN (RET), COTEP #192

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

San Diego State University - Aztecs.

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

San Diego State University - Aztecs.

Big Grin

South Dakota State University - Jackrabbits

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Entertaining game and congrats to Sam Houston. That said I do believe the outcome would have been different if the SDSU starting QB hadn't been injured in the very first series of downs.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Only saw the score after the game, was building a fence all day.
This SHSU alum is happy with the outcome.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Avacados are $2.25 each in Central Texas. Ouch! I used to make guac but now I just use corn chips as a scoop. The smaller avacados are cheaper.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
iirc, the gentle folks who find cilantro to taste like soap are known as "super tasters."

Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, it seems by searching the interwebz on the reason why some don't like cilantro, there has been a shift in reasoning in the past decade or so. When I researched this long ago, the prevailing thought then was the "supertaster" theory. Some of the reading about supertasters was that people who disliked cilantro were supertasters, and some was that people who liked it were supertasters.

Now the common articles are that it is a genetic thing with higher probability in Europeans, and the scent may trigger a reaction like unsafe food might.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
My daughter is happy too. Shes in school there now and on the cheer squad and was at the game.

quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Only saw the score after the game, was building a fence all day.
This SHSU alum is happy with the outcome.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've been making Chef John's guac recipe for awhile. While really good, it's kind of a pain.

I'll have to give this recipe a try, sans the cumin. Cumin is good in a lot of things but I can't see it in guac.

BTW, I did discover a good way to keep the leftovers from going black. Vacuum sealing. I tried several methods (a layer of water on top and plastic wrap on top) that were either a mess or a pain in the butt and ultimately didn't work well. Then I tried the vacuum sealer and it works great.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I store leftover quac in a glass. First put lemon juice in the glass, then the guac. lemon juice on top and saran on the surface of the guac sealed as well as possible and draped over the glass.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Avacados are $2.25 each in Central Texas. Ouch!

OMG! We paid $0.88 each for medium (actually at the upper range of that size classification) HAAS avocados.

USN (RET), COTEP #192