SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My new air rifle is driving me nuts!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new air rifle is driving me nuts! Login/Join 
posted
I’ve got a new Hatsan 95 in .22 and I can’t keep a group at 40’ to save my life. Age is not kind to the eyes so I decided to mount a Leupold scope I’ve had forever. I still can’t keep my shots inside of a baseball at 40 feet. Please tell me I’m doing something wrong.

Posts: 951 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are doing something wrong.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll bet the barrel or the muzzle is fairly, heavily leaded. Try cleaning it.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It can’t hurt to try cleaning it. But it is brand new with less than 200 pellets through it.

Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
You are doing something wrong.

He asked!

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Is the scope mount loose?
I just took a 10/22 to the range, was getting large and inconsistent groups. Found out the Picatinny rail was loose.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Big springers don't like tight grip, I think they call the loose hold with hands essentially cradling it, artillary hold: https://www.pyramydair.com/art...0to%20go%20elsewhere.

Maybe try different pellets. I think Crosman Premier are well liked.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Follow thru with your shots like shooting a muzzle loader.
Also you might have a future problem with your scope. A spring piston airgun recoils both forward and backwards requiring a scope designed specifically for them.

Posts: 322 | Location: S/W Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
What pellets have you tried? Cleaning is likely unnecessary. Air rifles are not like firearms…and may perform better after several hundred pellets are fires.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
That old Leupold scope of yours rated for an air rifle?
If not (and I'd bet it isn't), it not only won't hold zero, it will get beat to death and become trash.

My money is on this as what you're doing very wrong. Eek

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
A Springer will ruin any scope that is not designed to be used on a Springer.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I emailed Leupold and asked which scopes are rated for air rifles. Their response was that all of their scopes are designed to withstand air rifles including springers. Even old production models like mine.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
Yesterday I emailed Leupold and asked which scopes are rated for air rifles. Their response was that all of their scopes are designed to withstand air rifles including springers. Even old production models like mine.

If that's the case, then what pbslinger suggested. Shooting a springer requires a whole different approach than a powder burner.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Big springers don't like tight grip, I think they call the loose hold with hands essentially cradling it

This...the stock should be touching your shirt, not your shoulder while cradling the foregrip like a newborns head. Also, check all screws for tightness.

That said, the last Hatsan I bought got returned. Brand new with compression issues.

Posts: 645 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now the o ring seal at the breach has blown out of it’s seat.

Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
Try different pellets. See how some RWS work. Springers are a bit harder to shoot accurately.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
Now the o ring seal at the breach has blown out of it’s seat.

Where did you buy this from? I'd be considering returning it. Too many red flags going up.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
400m, is it driving or just steering? Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The vast amount of time it’s the nut behind the trigger causing the issues. Smile.

Use a very light hold. Do not shoot it like you would a powder burner. The problem is these recoil and vibrate all over the place and the pellet stays in the barrel for a comparatively long time. Using a light hold sort of let’s it recoil and vibrate the same way every time. Also when that piston slams forward it’s not unlike an open bolt SMG and that may be throwing you off.

Next thing is ammo. Try not only different brands but different head sizes. 5.50,5.51,5.52 etc. keep in mind air guns are like real guns in that crappy ammo will give crappy results and some guns like certain stuff. I have found H&N to be pretty good across the board.

If you truly are getting mechanical erratic shots then it’s most likely either your breech seal or piston seal. A little chunk missing or bad fit etc. can play hell with accuracy.

Also keep in mind most spring guns need 500 or 1000 shots to settle in, burn off excessive lube etc. and during that time you might see some weirdness.

All that being said with a new spring gun shooter , especially with a fairly powerful gun it’s the Indian and not the arrow. Spring guns can be hard task masters but are very rewarding when you learn to shoot them and pay dividends in real shooting.

Good luck.
Take care, shoot safe.
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Also have realistic expectations. I find 50 yards to be about the PRACTICAL max range of most spring guns. 100 is doable but more as a parlor trick kind of thing for the vast number of folks.

Me I can shoot out to 50 OK but 20-30 yards is my comfort zone.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post