SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gorsuch hearing
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gorsuch hearing Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Jon Tester, Montana (NRA Rating: A-)

but now,

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...or-opposing-gorsuch/

On April 7 the NRA made clear Senator Jon Tester (D-MT) can count on facing an advertising onslaught during his re-election campaign because of his decision to vote against the confirmation of Neil Gorsuch.

Tester is one of the red state Democrats whom the NRA put on notice prior to the confirmation vote.

Tester voted against Gorsuch. And the NRA is making the case that Tester voted against protecting the Second Amendment rights of Montanans in the process.
I sent Tester a letter urging him to vote for Gorsuch's confirmation, but he (his staff) e-mailed back that his constituents are largely in favor of blocking his appointment to the SCOTUS. Bullshit, and fuck Tester. I can't wait for his re-election campaign to begin and the current campaign to replace Zinke in the House - there's a battle brewing between 7 Republicans Republican and at least 8 Dimocrats - including front running poet/musician Quist.

You should respond and ask them to provide the data. What polls did they use, what feedback did they get, where's the data?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6861 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Jon Tester, Montana (NRA Rating: A-)

but now,

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...or-opposing-gorsuch/

On April 7 the NRA made clear Senator Jon Tester (D-MT) can count on facing an advertising onslaught during his re-election campaign because of his decision to vote against the confirmation of Neil Gorsuch.

Tester is one of the red state Democrats whom the NRA put on notice prior to the confirmation vote.

Tester voted against Gorsuch. And the NRA is making the case that Tester voted against protecting the Second Amendment rights of Montanans in the process.
I sent Tester a letter urging him to vote for Gorsuch's confirmation, but he (his staff) e-mailed back that his constituents are largely in favor of blocking his appointment to the SCOTUS. Bullshit, and fuck Tester. I can't wait for his re-election campaign to begin and the current campaign to replace Zinke in the House - there's a battle brewing between 7 Republicans Republican and at least 8 Dimocrats - including front running poet/musician Quist.

You should respond and ask them to provide the data. What polls did they use, what feedback did they get, where's the data?

Indeed, cause it's clear that he's blatantly lying. And not only that but blatantly lying to his constituents.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30559 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
For the record, 'deal making' like that described above is not deal making, its colluding with the enemy. Either they (Collins and Murkowski) are Republicans acting with the GOP, or Dem's acting against it.
Actually, they're supposed to be individuals representing their constituents, and their constituents are NOT the entire party.
Then they and their damn constituents need to join the other party if their goal is to perpetuate the collapse of this country.
That's a nonsense argument. Just because someone doesn't support 100% of the GOP agenda, does not mean their goal is to "perpetuate the collapse of this country." It's not my goal to "perpetuate the collapse of this country," but I don't agree with everything that is part of the GOP agenda.

It's intellectually dishonest to say that if someone is not 100% aligned with the GOP, that they then are trying to destroy the entire country.

Roll Eyes
Rather than pulling the "intellectually dishonest" tag out of your you-know-what and throwing it around, maybe you should listen to the continual commentary of these two nitwits (Collins and Murkowsky) and/or check out their voting record. I never said any member of congress must be in lock step with their party 100% of the time like the Dem's are. That leads to terrible outcomes.
But when it comes to confirming a justice like Gorsuch, who is unquestionably qualified, and who has openly committed to rendering opinions based upon the content of the actual Constitution (rather than more of the " I'll make up rights out of thin air" or "the constitution is an old musty document that no longer is relevant, so I'll decide what it 'really' means" judges, we need to call a spade a spade when these two conspire with the Dem's who would opt to rule through the courts.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Sounds like bullying to me.

Can't they get a page or something to handle the door? Maybe a stenographer to take notes?

I'd like to think our justices time can be better spent than figuring out healthy menu choices...
And again, I think this is a very good use of Kagan's skills. Not so much Judge Gorsuch's.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Don't care who runs the menu, etc, in SCOTUS.

I do care VERY MUCH about the justice's opinions regarding the constitution!

They take an oath to support, defend, and uphold the constitution of this country! Just like those of us who wear, or have worn, the uniform of this country!

To me, anyone who takes that oath and then proceeds to trash the constitution should be summarily removed from office. And that include SCOTUS!

As I recall, the republicrats simply approved every SCOTUS nominee without debate or objection when the democraPs were in power.

And the same seems to be the harsh reality for the selection and appointment of a crap load of federal judges as well.

Maybe it is just that all those anti-constitutional lawyers, judges, etc never heard about that old document (the finest in world history).

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25648 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Don't care who runs the menu, etc, in SCOTUS.

I do care VERY MUCH about the justice's opinions regarding the constitution!

They take an oath to support, defend, and uphold the constitution of this country! Just like those of us who wear, or have worn, the uniform of this country!

To me, anyone who takes that oath and then proceeds to trash the constitution should be summarily removed from office. And that include SCOTUS!

As I recall, the republicrats simply approved every SCOTUS nominee without debate or objection when the democraPs were in power.

And the same seems to be the harsh reality for the selection and appointment of a crap load of federal judges as well.

Maybe it is just that all those anti-constitutional lawyers, judges, etc never heard about that old document (the finest in world history).

Didn't Ruth Buzzy Ginsberg bad mouth the constitution while she was overseas? Wasn't that her? I think I heard she did. No wonder she is so out of place on the court. Swing low sweet chariot!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29788 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Exactly. And my personal opinion (IANAL) is that Roe v. Wade was a very flawed decision. I don't have a pony in the show, but I think it probably should be overturned.

flashguy

Roe is wrongly decided. And not because of the substance of the abortion question, which is heresy to many. It is wrong because the decision about whether to permit abortion is not a question for the feds. The constitution says nothing about it, one way or the other. The court had to manufacture the federal question out of "penumbras and emanations" of other rights and protections and general notions of personal liberty.

The states should get to decide on abortion. That means that there would be abortions in California and New York, and not in Texas and Utah. In our federal system, this is a perfectly proper state of affairs.

But the Court will not ever overturn Roe. It has been the law for 40 years. There is a huge body of law that has grown out of it, and it reaches well beyond abortion. Explicitly overturning Roe would disturb vast swaths of law, and that would be bad. Creating that instability would be terrible. So, only the most rabid ideologues would overturn it. Judges value stability and believe, quite rightly, that stare decisis has value in and of itself. Worrying about Roe being overturned is silly. It won't happen.

It could get nibbled at. Restricted and limited. It is remotely possible that it could get old, and just wither away. (That happens sometimes - precedent gets old and out of date, but because everyone moves along it just sits there, more or less ignored. That probably won't happen with Roe, but who knows what might be true in 100 years.) But it won't be explicitly overturned.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53145 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Exactly. And my personal opinion (IANAL) is that Roe v. Wade was a very flawed decision. I don't have a pony in the show, but I think it probably should be overturned.

flashguy

Roe is wrongly decided. And not because of the substance of the abortion question, which is heresy to many. It is wrong because the decision about whether to permit abortion is not a question for the feds. The constitution says nothing about it, one way or the other. The court had to manufacture the federal question out of "penumbras and emanations" of other rights and protections and general notions of personal liberty.

The states should get to decide on abortion. That means that there would be abortions in California and New York, and not in Texas and Utah. In our federal system, this is a perfectly proper state of affairs.

But the Court will not ever overturn Roe. It has been the law for 40 years. There is a huge body of law that has grown out of it, and it reaches well beyond abortion. Explicitly overturning Roe would disturb vast swaths of law, and that would be bad. Creating that instability would be terrible. So, only the most rabid ideologues would overturn it. Judges value stability and believe, quite rightly, that stare decisis has value in and of itself. Worrying about Roe being overturned is silly. It won't happen.

It could get nibbled at. Restricted and limited. It is remotely possible that it could get old, and just wither away. (That happens sometimes - precedent gets old and out of date, but because everyone moves along it just sits there, more or less ignored. That probably won't happen with Roe, but who knows what might be true in 100 years.) But it won't be explicitly overturned.

I think what it would take to overturn Roe would be a society that refined selfishness out of itself. I don't see that happening. I don't know when a fetus becomes a human being, but I'm sure it's far earlier than when most abortions happen. Given that, we have accepted a moral standard which precludes the requirements to overturn Roe. I hate it, but have accepted it. I don't like being forced to subsidize it.

Sorry for that drift. I think the point needed to be made even if as an epitaph. It would be better if this thread did not become about abortion.

Posts: 29788 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
We have a new Supreme Court Justice!

....Under the Constitution and Laws of the United States, So Help Me God! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9067 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
. . .I think what it would take to overturn Roe would be a society that refined selfishness out of itself. I don't see that happening. I don't know when a fetus becomes a human being, but I'm sure it's far earlier than when most abortions happen. Given that, we have accepted a moral standard which precludes the requirements to overturn Roe. I hate it, but have accepted it. I don't like being forced to subsidize it.

Sorry for that drift. I think the point needed to be made even if as an epitaph. It would be better if this thread did not become about abortion.

As usual, Darth, I think you are spot-on. And you said it so much better than I could.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly.
I would like to see a restoration of federalism, so I hope you are wrong about Roe ... but you are probably right.

Funding for planned parenthood is often defended by the left as "women's health care" but of course the Constitution says nothing about health care either. How far we have come from the federalism envisioned by the Founders and described in the Federalist Papers.

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24279 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think what it would take to overturn Roe would be a society that refined selfishness out of itself. I don't see that happening. I don't know when a fetus becomes a human being, but I'm sure it's far earlier than when most abortions happen. Given that, we have accepted a moral standard which precludes the requirements to overturn Roe. I hate it, but have accepted it. I don't like being forced to subsidize it.

But that isn't why Roe is a bad legal decision. It is a reason to be against abortion as a matter of policy. But courts are in the legal decision-making business, not the policy-decision-making business. Confusing the two, which is done by people on every place in the philosophical spectrum, is one reason why these appointments are now so troublesome.

Keep the discussion here on point - which is about appointments and conformations. Not the merits of abortion policy.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53145 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

But that isn't why Roe is a bad legal decision. It is a reason to be against abortion as a matter of policy. But courts are in the legal decision-making business, not the policy-decision-making business. Confusing the two, which is done by people on every place in the philosophical spectrum, is one reason why these appointments are now so troublesome.

Keep the discussion here on point - which is about appointments and conformations. Not the merits of abortion policy.

I know. I thought you made the legal argument well.

posted Hide Post
Well, we have Pres. Trump's choice sworn in as our newest Justice of the SC. That is ONE.......now we need 3-4 MORE conservative Justices sworn in to the Supreme court.....then the next 1-2 generations have a better chance of this wonderful County of ours to progress in a proper direction. Thank you DJT!!

Posts: 6645 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fortunately probably the worst two Supreme Court judges are two of the three oldest. Trump should outlast Ginsburg, and hopefully Breyer. Indeed, the next 1-2 generations will be in a good position.

-c1steve

Posts: 4087 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Fortunately probably the worst two Supreme Court judges are two of the three oldest. Trump should outlast Ginsburg, and hopefully Breyer. Indeed, the next 1-2 generations will be in a good position.

This is why we will see Trump under endless attacks. They must destroy him or nearly everything they've accomplished will be reversed. This is existential warfare now. Frankly, Trump is the only character strong enough of the Republican field who can duke it out to the end. He absolutely must be a two term president.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

flashguy

I asked my Con Law professor why Roe v. Wade was not decided on the basis of the full-faith-and-credit clause.

His answer:

1. Because it wasn't argued that way in appeal (not sure about this one, seems like it would have been a good backup argument).

2. Because the justices didn't want it to be a state-decided issue.

Frown

Sometimes I think each justice on the Supreme Court has a certain % issues that are "Hell yes!" and some that are "Hell no!" The cases in either foregoing category get decided no matter what the law says ("make shit up" as my crim pro prof says). The cases that fall in the middle get decided based mainly on the law, with varying degrees of subjective interpretation applied.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:

This is why we will see Trump under endless attacks. They must destroy him or nearly everything they've accomplished will be reversed. This is existential warfare now. Frankly, Trump is the only character strong enough of the Republican field who can duke it out to the end. He absolutely must be a two term president.

If the democrat party and their blind followers continue on their path of self-destruction, hopefully we'll see that!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38860 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The problem isn't Roe per se. The problem is Griswold, on which Roe is based. It's a completely synthetic precedent, with no basis in the Constitution whatever.

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Exactly.
I would like to see a restoration of federalism, so I hope you are wrong about Roe ... but you are probably right.

Funding for planned parenthood is often defended by the left as "women's health care" but of course the Constitution says nothing about health care either. How far we have come from the federalism envisioned by the Founders and described in the Federalist Papers.

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I watched Justice Gorsuch take the oath for a Supreme Court Justice in the Rose Garden this morning. It's a beautiful oath and would seem to make any Justice who believes in using the Court for the betterment of any given minority, or economic group, at odds with his or her oath and in violation of the COTUS.

quote:

The Judicial Oath
The origin of the second oath is found in the Judiciary Act of 1789, which reads “the justices of the Supreme Court, and the district judges, before they proceed to execute the duties of their respective offices” to take a second oath or affirmation. From 1789 to 1990, the original text used for this oath (1 Stat. 76 § 8) was:

“I, _________, do solemnly swear or affirm that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as _________, according to the best of my abilities and understanding, agreeably to the constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God.”

In December 1990, the Judicial Improvements Act of 1990 replaced the phrase “according to the best of my abilities and understanding, agreeably to the Constitution" with "under the Constitution.” The revised Judicial Oath, found at 28 U. S. C. § 453, reads:

“I, _________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as _________ under the Constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God.”

Posts: 13387 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post