SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Volvo plug-in hybrid SUV owners?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Volvo plug-in hybrid SUV owners? Login/Join 
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted
I will likely soon be leaving my current law enforcement position and going to work at a National Lab in California, at least for 12-18 months. It’s a really amazing opportunity and perhaps most importantly a much needed escape from a horribly toxic and unprofessional environment that no longer gives me any joy. While the new position pays significantly more, even accounting for higher cost of living, I still hate the idea of paying $5 a gallon for gasoline. The availability of free electric vehicle charging at the lab has me thinking of a possible plug-in hybrid purchase. A $5400 to $7500 tax credit (depending on which vehicle we get) is also appealing to offset a decent sized bonus payment up front.

AWD is a must for me for when I return back to the northeast, and frankly there aren’t all that many plug-in hybrids available with AWD that are interesting to me. I test drove a Jeep Wrangler 4xe and actually liked it, but it’s my wife’s least favorite amongst potential contenders. Since I would be looking to purchase this vehicle instead of lease it, the BMW X5 is out for me, as is the Mercedes. While Volvo is definitely not a simple stripped down vehicle either, the reliability and servicing costs for Volvos tend to be much more favorable than BMW and Mercedes. I haven’t been able to test drive a plug in hybrid Volvo because they sell before they even arrive at the dealer, but I like the non hybrids well enough. They seem to have high quality interiors and seem very similar to BMW and Mercedes in the luxury department. They have all the features that we want and are definitely super safe for my daughter. I am finally getting to test drive the XC90 plug in hybrid on Monday so I will know if they drive ok for me. My wife is really liking the XC60 so far, and I would be happy with either the XC60 or 90. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the recent Volvo plug-in hybrids? Thanks

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5582 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
My wife test drove an xc90 and liked it with the exception of the color. Guy was waiting for us to return from the test drive and bought it. I’ve heard the real world mileage and the reported mileage are very similar. We liked it and will probably buy one to replace her current vehicle when inventory has improved. Good luck.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1895 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not have any experience with either a hybrid or full electric vehicle. Or, do I know anything about the Volvo line up.

Have you considered a fully electric vehicle? With a hybrid you will still pay $5 a gallon in gas, though not as much as a full gas powered SUV.

What is the range on full battery power with the Volvo? I saw 28 mpg I think, but didn't notice a breakdown between battery and gas.

Have you looked at Audi? They are making a few hybrid and electric vehicles. The Q4 will be coming soon and that starts under $50k for a fully electric SUV. They have a hybrid Q5 and the all electric E-tron to choose from.

Just some thoughts and asking because sometimes we overlook things. Good luck in your career change and with you car choice.

Posts: 3667 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
I do not have any experience with either a hybrid or full electric vehicle. Or, do I know anything about the Volvo line up.

Have you considered a fully electric vehicle? With a hybrid you will still pay $5 a gallon in gas, though not as much as a full gas powered SUV.

What is the range on full battery power with the Volvo? I saw 28 mpg I think, but didn't notice a breakdown between battery and gas.

Have you looked at Audi? They are making a few hybrid and electric vehicles. The Q4 will be coming soon and that starts under $50k for a fully electric SUV. They have a hybrid Q5 and the all electric E-tron to choose from.

Just some thoughts and asking because sometimes we overlook things. Good luck in your career change and with you car choice.

Good points for sure. I have thought about fully electric and at the end of the day, I’m not convinced that a fully electric vehicle is what I really want. I kinda like the Tesla model X, but I don’t want to spend that much for this vehicle. I’m not really particularly fond of the other full electric SUV offerings, and I don’t think that a fully electric vehicle would be the best fit for me right now, especially as an apartment dweller while I’m in CA.

While I’ll definitely still be filling up with $5 a gallon gas with a plug-in hybrid, it will be significantly less than if I drove my 16mpg average Raptor, or 14mpg average LandCruiser. If I could get 30mpg in hybrid mode, and maybe a trip to or from work for free on electric power then I would be happy with that. It’s honestly not even about personal affordability, it’s a matter of principle in not handing any more tax dollars over to the state than I absolutely have to. The biggest thing is I plan to return to the northeast with this vehicle and AWD is a must for us for my wife to feel comfortable driving it in the snow. I think 30 mpg out of a vehicle that still drives reasonably would keep me happy and the interior and styling of the Volvos seem nice to us so they are in the lead right now. I just have virtually no experience with them, other than anecdotal positive stories. Thanks for the input so far, I am taking an XC90 plug in hybrid for a test drive tomorrow so hopefully I’ll be able to confirm or deny my initial feelings about the vehicles.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5582 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
No comments about the hybrid Volvo.

But I have owned five Volvos to date over the last 20 years or so and my wife's XC40 R-Design in Glacial Silver is the best of the bunch. Surprising room and comfort for such a small car....back seat room is impressive...you wouldn't expect it.

One thing about the Volvos that I am most fond of is the they have enough tech to be modern, effective and convenient without overloading you with gadgets, dials and systems like the Germans do. Everything you need and nothing you don't.

For comfort, Volvo has the absolute best seats in the automotive industry ... bar none.

Volvo also has a nice Overseas Delivery program if you are looking for free flights to Sweden.

Check out the Pine Grey color in the XC60. It's very sharp color with the right interior and you don't see so much of them driving around. I almost bought one myself a couple of years ago in a V60 Cross Country.

Good luck in your quest.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
My wife recently purchased a white XC90 T6 all gas Volvo with turbo and supercharger with lots of get up and go. Mixed mileage thus far has been 24.1 mpg, but it likes premium gas. We have not taken it on any long trips so don't know how it will do on the Interstate. The interior, comfort, and safety features are exceptional. We looked at an identical car that was a hybrid but all things considered decided it was not for us. We live out in the country and most of our driving is highway or secondary roads, we had no interest in worrying about charging stations.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The Volvo plug in Hybrid tech should be mature by now. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if you are ok with luxury level maintenance and repair. I'll be shopping an XC90 Recharge later this year.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Where are the current Volvo's being produced ? When I was looking at them 4 or 5 years ago they were in the process of relocating production.

Posts: 1353 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
Where are the current Volvo's being produced ? When I was looking at them 4 or 5 years ago they were in the process of relocating production.

Interwebs says the XC90 is built in Sweden.

Starting in 2022, manufacturing is moving to NC, USA

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

No kidding?! Where in NC?
I'm mighty curious about that. Cool

(Apologies for the thread drift.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13522 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
I purchased a 2021 Volvo XC90 Recharge (Volvo's name for their hybrid) in February, 2021. At the time Volvo was running a sale and I used the Costco Auto Buy program for a significant savings. I intended this purchase as my last car (I am in my 70s and do not anticipate driving in my 80s if I live that long). As an aging senior, I also wanted the advanced technology-based safety features. This will replace a 2011 XC90, one of the last V8s Volvo produced. The 2021 Recharge came pretty loaded, but I did add the Polestar software package and mud flaps. I purchased the Volvo after thoroughly researching the BMW and Mercedes equivalents. For me, the drawbacks of the BMW and Mercedes equivalents were maintenance issues, especially cost. Also, in my area, the Volvo dealer received better ratings than the BMW and Mercedes dealers; also, the sales representatives were not very responsive at follow through on my questions. A pleasant surprise was my insurance company give me a very good rate on the 2021, in fact, better than my rate on the 2011. I have had a significant learning curve because the 2021 is loaded with safety and other technologies; the owner's manual and the supplement total about 900 pages. In terms of performance, my impression is that the 2021 (in comparison to the 2011) has better acceleration and braking (some of this is due to the Polestar package if I have read the reviews correctly). My 2021 has the optional software-controlled suspension which improves the ride and performance over the 2011 (which I characterize as "more sure-footed). Thorough a large SUV, the XC90 handles and rides extremely well.

Posts: 168 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

No kidding?! Where in NC?
I'm mighty curious about that. Cool

(Apologies for the thread drift.)

Our 2022 XC90 was built in Sweden. Our dealer told us other models are being built in the U.S. plant but not the XC90 yet. From the description the new plant is a technological marvel.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
US manufacturing is scheduled for Charleston County, South Carolina, not North Carolina.

Posts: 168 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

God bless America.

Posts: 13522 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Interesting my step mother has been driving Volvos for years now.
Her service costs have not been much different than that of BMW or Mercedes.

How about this??
https://www.porsche.com/usa/mo...ls/cayenne-e-hybrid/

Ohh yeah, service cost.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Interesting my step mother has been driving Volvos for years now.
Her service costs have not been much different than that of BMW or Mercedes.

How about this??
https://www.porsche.com/usa/mo...ls/cayenne-e-hybrid/

Ohh yeah, service cost.

Actually, it’s more the up front cost. While it technically might start at $83k, configured the minimum way I would want it a Cayenne plug in hybrid would run me almost $95k. I just can’t justify that much for this vehicle. By comparison the XC60 that I like will run me $68k. 3 years of free maintenance comes with the Volvo too which is appealing. I really would like to try a diesel suburban but my wife really would strongly, very strongly, prefer a plug-in hybrid for this purchase, especially given the tax credit which we could really use this year. I sure wouldn’t mind tooling around in that Porsche though lol.