SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What seasonings do you like to add to hamburgers?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What seasonings do you like to add to hamburgers? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I'm looking to up my burger game. I have tons of spices. But I usually just add some salt or worcestershire sauce.

What do you like to add to burgers? (yes the meat before you make the patties)

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12445 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
If you're doing hand-rolling, then I really enjoy adding Lipton soup mix into my burgers. If you don't like onions, this may not be a good addition, but I love it!

Posts: 4594 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Like the OP, salt and worcestershire sauce.

I'm assuming this refers to making the patties and not to what happens later.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Tri-Tip seasoning.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Lawry's Seasoned Salt.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Lawry's Seasoned Salt.

I literally just threw out some Lawry's because it has sugar and I'm getting back on my keto kick.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12445 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Just salt.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Little Tony’s on both sides.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6336 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
If you want to up your hamburger game…

Go buy some brisket-blend burgers from creekstone Farms. Salt and pepper.

Be aware of the very high fat content 30%. Don’t overcook them, but make sure you sear the outsides. Good on the grill or the frying pan.

(Makes incredible tacos and the childhood memory dish from my mom called Chinese hamburger.)

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I mix Chorizo or Andouille sausage into my ground beef and stuff em with Havarti cheese. Maybe a little salt and pepper on the top and bottom and good to go.

Posts: 342 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think burgers do fine on their own. When you add the ketchup, mustard, relish, onion, lettuce, cheese, etc..., they get all the flavor they need.

Salt is always good. A sprinkle of Montreal perhaps. And woostersauce on a burger? Never heard of it.

Posts: 20123 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Whenever we make burgers or steaks they get salt & pepper on both sides, then sit at room temp for a while to allow it to soak in before grilling. That's it. Any other seasonings that anyone wants can be added later.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Usually just S&P at our house. Other things can be added after cooking to suit the eater. Sprinkled on, not mixed in. Get good meat, 80/20. If the butcher will grind it fresh, adding fat to your liking and or mixing in other meats like brisket, short rib meat or chorizo, this makes some interesting burgers.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Grilled/smoked beef of any type (whether brisket, steak, tri-tip, hamburgers, etc.) typically only needs salt and pepper.

I save the fancier dry rubs/spice mixes for chicken or pork.

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Lawry's Seasoned Salt.
I literally just threw out some Lawry's because it has sugar and I'm getting back on my keto kick.
Yeah, so much sugar it doesn't even make the products nutrition facts listing:

So little sugar that total carbs in one serving are less than 1%. That means less than 0.012g of total carbs per serving.

Do what you feel you need to do, but that seems just a bit over-the-top to me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Montreal seasoning .

Posts: 78 | Registered: April 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Salt

Posts: 107684 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be aware of the very high fat content 30%

Salt & Pepper only. How much fat is left after grilling? I am never concerned about the beginning fat content, as much of the fat drops out while cooking. More than 50% per Google search.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4277 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Salt & pepper.
If the hamburger has been in the fridge a few days and is no longer "robust red," then some worcestershire is employed as well. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:
Be aware of the very high fat content 30%

Salt & Pepper only. How much fat is left after grilling? I am never concerned about the beginning fat content, as much of the fat drops out while cooking. More than 50% per Google search.

If you cook all the fat outta the burger, it’ll be overdone and dry.

This brisket blend will generate a lot of extra fat in the pan. It’s up to you determine how much you want to cook off.

It’s a very tender/fragile grind and you have to handle it carefully while making your patties. I’ve learned not to overcook them. (It’s not like cooking a brisket where want to well done all the way through.)

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post