SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Placing Center speaker BEHIND the TV, anyone tried this?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Placing Center speaker BEHIND the TV, anyone tried this? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Runing out of options, no under or over space.

I have a 4k TV set elsewhere and if i replace my old TV set with the newer unit i could hand the Central speaker behind it…

Aware that the sound would have to make a bigger effort to reach the listening position and the volume will have to be recalculated again.

Currently the Center speaker sits in front of my TV. The newer unit has shorter feet and the speaker would cover the lower part of the screen (subtitles area) if kept in the same place.
New set has 4 short feet, current has a large, taller base. Both have more or less same screen size that will be embedded (fit) in a furniture.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12141 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Pedestal for new feet? If you have full floor standing speakers in a smallish room, personally I’d consider dropping the center. I keep switching to stereo when listening to music. I’ve found that music in 5.1 doesn’t sound good so I switch to stereo. And many times I don’t notice the receiver is in stereo when watching videos.

I keep the center because it’s set up already. But I don’t think I would miss it.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Nope. Center channel placed right below panel, or right above it, but preferably right below, but certainly not behind the panel, nope.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12660 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
TV is boxed in in a piece of furniture. Little wiggle room. The newer set is slightly bigger but still fits. Old is 46inches, newer is 49inches. The large base vs the short feet makes it possible to fit in.
Currently hiding all the power sockets and cables behind TV. Has a large base that projects to the front and have the Center sitting on top of it.
With newer unit the TV will sit closer to me but wont have enough clearance under it to place the Center.
My Center speaker is very recent. Found one that suits my large speakers well, surprisingly. Does make a difference when watching movies and Tv and disappears naturally when in stereo.

Or I stick to 1080p until it croaks.

0-0

Posts: 12141 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Nope. Sorry Nicky that doesn't pass my sanity check. It needs to be free to breath and project sound forward, not be bottled up behind a barrier. The center speaker is key for much of the home theater sound experience.

Mine is on the stand's top shelf below the 65" TV.

Mine is a 7+2 system.

I know you have space restrictions but you need to find a way to have it out front even if tilted down from the wall on a small shelf above the TV to project to your ears at your seated listening position. My previous TV was a monster 2004 rear projection 65" Mitsubishi model. I had my center speaker on top aimed down to the listening position.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Ok if I understand it correctly, You have a rectangular opening that TV and center channel occupy.

• What are the rough dimensions of the new center speaker, including the exact height?
  • What are the rough dimensions of the new TV including the exact height the screen frame is above the shelf?
  • What is the size of the rectangular opening?
  • Can you point me to a TV model number or a web picture of the base mounting system (stand to TV)?

If there is enough room vertically, maybe the stand to TV mount can be extended to clear the center channel again. If that room isn't there, my mother would say you are trying to fit 10 pounds of shit into a 5 pound bag.

- plus I agree with Bald1, this stuff needs a way to get cool air in and heat circulated out.
  •  
    Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Live long
    and prosper
    Picture of 0-0
    posted Hide Post
    Your mother is absolutely right!

Asked bald1 for help posting apic of my setup.
    My main speakers are sort of peculiar so finding a center speaker in my neck of the woods, here in a the 4th world was a challenge and am quite pleased with the results.
    Well aware that my frontals should be in a different location than xpanding the spectrum instead of squeezing it.

Up top, between them are my NAS and the modem and quite boxed in, in the middle, sits my router.
    Not the best disposition or location but unfortunately that’s the best i can do.

0-0

Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    If you can't locate your center channel speaker appropriately, better just to eliminate it and set the sound system for a phantom center, IMO.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    always with a hat or sunscreen
    Picture of bald1
    posted Hide Post
    Here's Nicky's current setup

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
    USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Eating elephants
    one bite at a time
    Picture of ffips
    posted Hide Post
    What would happen if you put it on the top shelf? Perhaps with a shim under it to point it slightly downwards?

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Republican in training
    Picture of DonDraper
    posted Hide Post
    Put it above or below the TV (aimed at listeners' ears). Behind it is not a good idea, might as well just not have it.
    My tiny room with horrible speaker placement. Center channel (Def Tech ProCenter 2000) mounted on a floating shelf:

https://i.imgur.com/329X0iL.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DonDraper,

--------------------
    I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2272 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fighting the good fight
    Picture of RogueJSK
    posted Hide Post
    Modify the entertainment center setup to make room for the center speaker.

The easiest way to do it, based on the photo posted above, would be to put the center speaker on the shelf directly above the TV. Look like you might even be able to move the divider on that shelf to the right a bit, in order to be able to center the center speaker on the shelf.

Then put the Family photo on top between the two speakers, or hang it on the wall in that spot.

Placing the center speaker behind the TV just isn't a workable solution.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of P250UA5
    posted Hide Post
    Looking at that image, what would be the harm in putting it between the speakers on the top of the cabinet?

I've got a slightly similar predicament. Our TV fills the space where we have it, maybe 1/2" below & 2-3 above. Have been thinking about a soundbar, but like this, it would likely need to go behind. Unless anyone makes a split vertical unit that I could put on the sides.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15379 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Do not put the center channel behind the TV - It will be muffled and out of phase.

As mentioned before - you don't really need a center channel if you have good front speakers, try you system west up as a 4.1 system.

If you really want a center channel - put it on the shelf where the FAMILY poster is and tilt it down some. It will be OK there.

Posts: 268 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    I put the subwoofer behind the TV. That works fine, if that is what you mean.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Live long
    and prosper
    Picture of 0-0
    posted Hide Post
    Wrong pic, it’s outdated. General idea is still good.

Bought an Xbox Series X in a rush (Peso took a dive and it’s price went up 50% over the weekend, bought the last unit). The new Xbox replaced the NAS and NUC, lower right and the NAS went to the top, opposite the standing modem.

The two prongs barely visible at the top of the funiturr are the router antennas, another two aren’t even visible. Placing the Center above the TV would render the wifi signal completely ineffective.

0-0

Res ipsa loquitur
    Picture of BB61
    posted Hide Post
    Could you post a picture so we can visualize your setup?

Posts: 12475 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fighting the good fight
    Picture of RogueJSK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jhe888:

He's talking about the center speaker, not the subwoofer.

A basic "5.1" surround sound system has has a Subwoofer for bass (that's the ".1"), along with Left, Center and Right channels in the front plus Left and Right Surround channels in the rear (that's the "5".)

The Center channel is where the vast majority of your dialogue will be heard. As a result, it's probably the most important channel out of all of them. You definitely don't want to shove it in the back and cover it up, since that will result in severely muffled dialogue.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by RogueJSK:
    quote:
    Originally posted by jhe888:

He's talking about the center speaker, not the subwoofer.

A basic "5.1" surround sound system has has a Subwoofer for bass (that's the ".1"), along with Left, Center and Right channels in the front plus Left and Right Surround channels in the rear (that's the "5".)

The Center channel is where the vast majority of your dialogue will be heard. As a result, it's probably the most important channel out of all of them. You definitely don't want to shove it in the back and cover it up, since that will result in severely muffled dialogue.

Ah, now I understand. My set up is much simpler than that - sound bar and sub.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Lost
    Picture of kkina
    posted Hide Post
    Subwoofers are different from mids and tweets. Low frequency sound is essentially non-directional, so you can basically put them almost anywhere in your room setup. A center channel unit will have mid-range and high-range which are directional and position sensitive.

As mentioned, you especially want the mid-range, which will be handling dialogue, somewhere near the monitor, but not behind it, where it would sound like people talking in a closet.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
    "First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post