SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man rescues hawk caught in fishing line
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man rescues hawk caught in fishing line Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
Clearly the hawk realized this man was a friend, not a foe or lunch.

Toward the end, it has a look like it was thinking "My talons need filing. While you are at it, would you mind? And red polish. The blood doesn't show as much. Thanks."

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31453 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
that took a bit of courage to do. Good for the guy willing to do. Saved the birds life for sure.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19194 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Stuff like that just warms yer fuzzies, doesn't it?

The bird really was very calm and cooperative while being freed.

Considering the damage they can do with those talons and that beak, it's pretty remarkable.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15240 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Well done.

Kinda looked like the man had Parkinsons.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I kept wishing he had scissors! Still, he got it done!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38690 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Warms my heart he saved the hawk.
The biting end isn't the problem.
It's those feets. Those feets can tear you up!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39762 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
That is an Osprey.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34124 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Well done.

Kinda looked like the man had Parkinsons.

I was thinking a little nervous working around those talons.

Posts: 4063 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

I was thinking the same. My little fingernails scissors would’ve been perfect. He had to do a LOT of cutting.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8972 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Love those rescue videos.

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Dang, bare hands on Osprey talons Eek

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9695 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
When watching videos of other rescues, I’m struck by how birds usually passively submit to what the people do for them.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
He was very gentle. I would have been shaking too, but looked like he was doing better as he focused on the task. The bird was certainly very calm, all things considered. Looked like it had been caught there for a while. Glad it was able to fly away so well.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
How can you watch that and not be moved by it ? As has been mentioned, it's absolutely amazing the bird didn't react in an aggressive manner at all. Well done to the guy saving it .

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shoevb:
How can you watch that and not be moved by it ? As has been mentioned, it's absolutely amazing the bird didn't react in an aggressive manner at all. Well done to the guy saving it .

I suspect that the poor creature was exhausted from its effort to get free.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8972 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

I was wishing he had a sharper knife !

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I've actually had this happen. I was fishing a private pond just east of Creede years ago with a bubble and two flies setup. Got a strike right after casting, and I see my bubble go up into the air. After a few moments of what the hell is going on here. It wasn't a hawk, but some kind of bird feeding on insects and grabbed my fly in mid air and the line wrapped around one of his wings. It was brown with a white strip on each wing. Wing span of about 18 inches. I got it down and was goin to use my dip net, but figured that would cause more problems. I tossed my coat over it and between me and my dad we got the thing loose with out injury I think.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I suspect that the poor creature was exhausted from its effort to get free.

Does it look kinda under weight?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8349 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I couldn’t/wouldn’t have done that without gloves. Kudos.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12643 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I saw that video recently. Pretty incredible.

Beautiful Osprey. Intimidating talons and beak.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post