SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fitness gurus...please step in
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitness gurus...please step in Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
I have once again started working out, this time joining a 24-hour Fitness that's just a 3-wood away from my house. I would like to join in on the spin classes they have and want to get a Heart Rate Monitor that is compatible with the console installed on the Schwinn Carbon Blue bikes they have in the class. That console can read heart rate data from an ANT+ 2.4GHz or Polar compatible 5kHz wireless chest strap.

I saw a video of an instructor demonstrating the console and the guy that was riding had an arm band HRM...they didn't say which one it was and I haven't been able to locate anything after a semi-exhaustive search on Amazon that listed the above specifications/compatibility.

So do any of you that are up to the latest technology have suggestions? I'd really like to get involved in the spin class, but would like to know when I'm pushing beyond my cardiac limit when doing so. And I'd rather not wait for the chest pains... Big Grin Thanks!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Polar Heart Rate Monitors have long been a standard, maybe the standard, in HRM. I am not as up to date as I once was, though. If you can do your first class without the monitor(pace yourself), observe and talk to the other class members, and find out what they use. Also ask the instructor.

https://www.polar.com/us-en

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to device compatibility, asking the instructor makes the most sense.

Regarding exceeding your "max" heart rate...that isn't possible unless you have an actual heart condition. Like any muscle, lifting "heavy" things makes it stronger. For the heart the "heavy" lifting is cranking the rate up at/above your age predicted max via sprint intervals. It is safe and healthy...again provided you don't have a condition. I am not a Dr. and not giving medical advice of course, get a physical, consult your Dr. etc. etc.

Edit: I would posit the theory that when people do have cardiac episodes under great stress, adrenaline dump, perhaps they wouldn't have had they pushed themselves in training. Like thinking about how your leg muscles would feel if you were a couch potato and then had to sprint for your life vs. someone who is in running shape. The couch potato would be really sore for a week, the runner wouldn't notice anything after.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Maybe get a Garmin 235 watch. Doesn't have to sync with the bike. And you can wear it as a watch for many other activities.

Posts: 11392 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My low-end Polar has worked with every bit of cardio gear I've used in three different gyms over 13 years.

The advantage to having a chest strap sensor the equipment can read is it's easier to watch a large display that's right in front of you than keep having to raise your wrist and eyeball a small display while you're bouncing on a piece of cardio equipment and breathing like a steam locomotive.

You want the wrist display, as well, so you can track your heart rate recovery rate.

Also: What Strambo said. (Personally, I always recommend a heart stress test before embarking on a new exercise regimen.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't need the latest, greatest, most expensive tech to monitor your heart rate. A light touch with your index finger on your carotid artery, plus some counting, plus a clock with a second hand works. Count beats for 10 or 15 seconds, then multiply by 6 or 4, respectively.

Your maximum heart rate is often calculated by subtracting your age from 220. Thus, a 40-year-old should roughly have a max rate of 180. Most people can handle aerobic activity up to 80% of this rate, or 144 bpm. A fit person might be able to push to 90% -- or 162 bpm -- before going anaerobic. Over time we learn what our bodies can do. And understand that we can't do the same every day, or even within various times of a given day. I'd say a good aerobic workout should get you to at least 2/3 of your potential heart rate.

I ski raced in college, and our coaches put us through some pretty arduous fitness training in the fall. Even back then (many moons ago), we would sometimes train with heart monitors. We found out my max heart rate was better calculated by 230 minus age. Some of our other athletes were closer to 210 minus age.

I seem to have little time for the gym anymore, so I ride my bike on roller trainers each morning before breakfast. I ride in intervals of 1-3 minutes, not at a full-on sprint, but fast enough that the 30-60 second rests between intervals is virtually necessary. I check my pulse after most intervals with a fingertip pulse oximeter. Unless I back off due to not feeling good, I generally attain my top pulse at 86% of my max. On days I'm feeling especially frisky, I can push up to 94% of max -- and I'm definitely anaerobic at this point.

What I'm saying is that it isn't necessary to be an electronic techie at spin classes. Unless you want to be. Listen to your body. After awhile you'll learn to understand when you're near your limits for a given ride for a given day. In real riding, and in real life activities, that's what counts.

Posts: 7878 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post