SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just dispatched a Cottonmouth. 9mm rat shot.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just dispatched a Cottonmouth. 9mm rat shot. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I did the same last year with 9mm CCI snakeloads. SOB flew about 5 feet when it hit him. I was surprised at two things. I was standing along side a 6' high wood fence and the blast was deafening. The second thing was it did cycle flawlessly in my Ruger P89 action.

Awake not woke

Posts: 592 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
We had a snake in the pool a couple of weeks ago. So when I was at the fun shop last week I found this. A Ruger Wrangler In 22lr. That’s the backside of a piece of cardboard I shot at 10 feet.

Good gosh. Does anyone know how to resize this? Using Imgur.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: scot818,

Posts: 1446 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Good job. Only good snake is a dead snake.

Disagree strongly. Rattlesnakes (western diamondbacks around here) are dispatched with whatever is convenient when encountered. I’ve run them over with the the truck & car, broken their back with a stick then fetched a shovel to finish the job, got several with shovels, and once, on a public bike/hike path, used one of the dog’s leashes to beat one to death. (I usually encounter them on blacktop, don’t carry snakeshot in my EDC P228, and don’t like the idea of shooting up my road or bouncing a gold dot off the pavement, so I have yet to shoot one.)

However, gopher snakes and garter snakes are herded off the road and otherwise left alone, unless I happen to have a bucket and lid and not happen to be late already. In that case, gopher snakes are grabbed, put in the bucket, and transported from the valley where they are usually found up to the orchard where they are welcomed on the payroll.

Rattlesnakes are squirrel eating machines. Now that the kids are old enough to leave them alone, if I didn’t have dogs I might consider leaving them on the payroll too, but I probably wouldn’t consider it for long...

Posts: 7096 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Good job. Only good snake is a dead snake.

King snakes are the good guys in Arizona.

And Black snakes around here!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
The skunk that lives under my neighbors shed almost caught a .22 last night. It would be super illegal to do, but I thought about it long and hard as we had a staring contest last night. I went with 900 lumens on strobe into his eyes instead. Little fucker scurried back into his home. I did get to see where he was crawling under the fence a put a large rock there. Hopefully he will stay in his own yard from now on.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21146 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
One shot. 8-10’ away. First time I used the CCI 9mm shotshells. Very effective. Forgot about earpro. It was against the wall and my right ear is rocked. I’ve shot without earpro before but I was against the wall...It hurts pretty good.

Do you happen to know how many pellets struck the snake, and @ where they struck the snake compared to where you were actually aiming?

Kinda hard to say but there was a pellet about every 2.5” on his upper body. I aimed at his head but hard to say how the pattern was. He was dead immediately. Surprised me actually. The shotshell had more oomph than I thought it would.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
One shot. 8-10’ away. First time I used the CCI 9mm shotshells. Very effective. Forgot about earpro. It was against the wall and my right ear is rocked. I’ve shot without earpro before but I was against the wall...It hurts pretty good.

Do you happen to know how many pellets struck the snake, and @ where they struck the snake compared to where you were actually aiming?

Kinda hard to say but there was a pellet about every 2.5” on his upper body. I aimed at his head but hard to say how the pattern was. He was dead immediately. Surprised me actually. The shotshell had more oomph than I thought it would.

What gun/ barrel length did you use?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Still don’t like snakes

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post