SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just dispatched a Cottonmouth. 9mm rat shot.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just dispatched a Cottonmouth. 9mm rat shot. Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
One shot. 8-10’ away. First time I used the CCI 9mm shotshells. Very effective. Forgot about earpro. It was against the wall and my right ear is rocked. I’ve shot without earpro before but I was against the wall...It hurts pretty good.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Glad you got him. Did the round have enough energy to operate the slide and load a subsequent round?

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Glad you got him. Did the round have enough energy to operate the slide and load a subsequent round?
I've killed several rattlers with .44 and .45 CCI shotshells this summer. Can't speak to the 9mm, but the .45s cycle just fine.

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Good job. Only good snake is a dead snake.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Glad we don't have them around here. I have black snakes so no copperheads or rattlesnakes.

I make my own shotshells for a 41 magnum using a 30-30 case cut down for full length of the cylinder. I use a 410 wad to cushion the pellets.

I was getting 20 percent of the shot in a 15 inch circle at 30 feet. That is enough to kill squirrels. Up close, it would cut a snake in half with #6's.

Posts: 11894 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
... Forgot about earpro. It was against the wall and my right ear is rocked. I’ve shot without earpro before but I was against the wall...It hurts pretty good.

I can see it now-
"Hold on ya lil nope-rope, I forgot my ear muffs, I'll be right back to smoke your slithery ass. DONT GO ANYWHERE!"

Snake- "Uhhh, ok... I'll just be hanging out in this general area, waiting here, havin' a quick smoke, because you forgot your ear-pro.... Go on, take your time, I got all day..."

[searches frantically for ear muffs as Mr Snake tactically positions himself by your front door to tag your ankle as you step outside]

Anyway, that's how I kinda envisioned this playing out.

Either way, one less danger-noodle we gotta worry about.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8550 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

King snakes are the good guys in Arizona.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

King snakes are the good guys in Arizona.

My rule is that if they are nonvenomous rodent killers, they get a pass. If they are snake eaters, they are not harrassed in any way.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
I've killed several rattlers with .44 and .45 CCI shotshells this summer. Can't speak to the 9mm, but the .45s cycle just fine.

Yeah, I had good luck with the .45acp but none of my pistols will cycle with the 9mm ones. And several of them pull the shot capsule when you try to remove an unfired shotshell from the chamber, spilling the shot and leaving the capsule as a potential bore obstruction.

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Glad we don't have them around here. I have black snakes so no copperheads or rattlesnakes.

I make my own shotshells for a 41 magnum using a 30-30 case cut down for full length of the cylinder. I use a 410 wad to cushion the pellets.

I was getting 20 percent of the shot in a 15 inch circle at 30 feet. That is enough to kill squirrels. Up close, it would cut a snake in half with #6's.

FYI there are definitely Copperheads around our way.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ok, since the ear protection issue has been mentioned I have got to tell you my method.
You have to shoot one handed, stick your trigger finger of the opposite hand in your ear closest to the weapon, while raising you elbow parallel to the ground put you other ear against you arm hard while trying to maintain sight alignment. No it is not perfect but does provide some protection. Sound like a twister move!

No hunting has brought me more joy than dispatching cotton mouths with a 44 loaded down with shot shells, those were good times.

Make it count

Posts: 1431 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CCI shotshells cycle in my 9mm Shield just fine. Kinda surprised me to tell the truth. YMMV.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1543 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:

I Barney fifed it. One in a spare mag. Didn’t lock the slide back.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
My Pops was bitten by a rattlesnake a few years ago. Many thousands of dollars later, even with good insurance, he is still not 100% Antivenom is crazy expensive. I'm cool with most snakes. I appreciate the ones in my yard taking care of rats, mice etc. Not taking any chances with one that will place you in the hospital....

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I make homemade shotshells in 38/357. 5 grains of unique, simple shot card made of milk carton, shot to to top of the case, super glue a shot card and use it in a revolver.

I made a 9mm shell out of a 223 case, thinned down the part that goes in the barrel, and loaded it the same way, but it didn’t cycle the slide...I thought I saw a video of it here on Sigforum- they had made it in 380 out of a 223 case

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11477 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 9mm shells will cycle some pistols and not others.

They do work great for snakes!

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I did some rudimentary shot shell testing years ago and posted the results and pics on the forum.

CCI 9 mm and CCI 44 spl. shot shells, both tested at @ 3 yards.

The CCI 9 mm shot shell loaded on top of FMJ rnds chambered fine and cycled the slide on a SIG P226. However, the effectiveness of the shot left me unimpressed. Fired at a target made of thin cardboard designed specifically as a shooting range target, the pellet dispersion was very wide, well over 18" and while some of the pellets were able to completely penetrate the cardboard, many were found embedded in the cardboard. Based on the results I became convinced that it would take a fair bit of luck to actually kill or injure a small moving creature with this shell.

The .44 spl CCI shot shell, fired through a S&W 629 4" at the same distance of 3 yards and at the same thin cardboard shooting target however produced much better results. The pellet pattern was a bit more dense (although it was still a pattern and not a group), all the pellets penetrated the cardboard with a few actually blowing out small holes in the target, and the actual plastic shot cup developed enough force that it was shot through the target.

This test was probably shot @ 20 years ago. I suppose it's possible that CCI has changed their loadings since then.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
One shot. 8-10’ away. First time I used the CCI 9mm shotshells. Very effective. Forgot about earpro. It was against the wall and my right ear is rocked. I’ve shot without earpro before but I was against the wall...It hurts pretty good.

Do you happen to know how many pellets struck the snake, and @ where they struck the snake compared to where you were actually aiming?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If a snake doesn’t have a triangular head I don’t shoot it with the exception of a rarely encountered coral snake.
When I got my Ruger Blackhawk 45 am/45/colt I bought a box of 45 caliber gas checks, I used one as a over powder wad added the shot and one as a top wad then I used silicone caulk to seal and waterproof. They worked fine but the pattern had too many holes in it so I went back to regular bullets. Now I was making those shotshells with 45colt rounds, I even tried using cut down .410 plastic wads to protect the shot but the pattern was still full of holes.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
snakeshot in 45acp will cycle my P220. The 44mag works great but the plastic capsules in the other chambers will back out from recoil binding the cylinder. My favorite snake gun is the Bond Arms derringer with .410 skeet loads. My wife also has a .410 snake charmer that has dispatched a number of mocasins

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4373 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post