SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I could use some input from the forum on an "act of God"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I could use some input from the forum on an "act of God" Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
My brother's car was flooded and totaled last year. He got a new Hyundai Elantra this year and has wrecked it. $7000 in front end damage due to his careless driving. While the car was being repaired at Priority Hyundai in Chesapeake VA it was hit with horrific hail. Priority is absolutely refusing to pay his deductible because they are claiming it is an "act of God". To say my brother is furious would be a gross understatement.

Is Priority on the hook for damage that occurs to the car while it is in their possession? Why does Priority believe God would damage my brothers car? Has he been screwed again by the bad luck car gods?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't deal with auto claims, but I believe the dealership is correct. It would be no different than if it was parked at an outdoor parking lot at an airport or in the mall parking lot. Would hate to see his rates comes renewal time.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I agree - Act of God or at least
Mother Nature. A comprehensive claim should not effect his rates.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I feel for your brother! What a horrible run of bad luck.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Comprehensive damage, his insurance covers the damage, it's not the dealers/paint shops responsibility to protect his car from acts of god.

Now if they are out test driving it to check repairs and total it, that's a different story and they'll still try to get you to claim it on his coverage, but hail?

Hard to blame that on a dealer....

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I am sure the piece of paper he signed when he dropped off the car will specifically state that they are not liable for "acts of God".

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
All of the above are correct.

Weather disasters are an Act of God in insurance parlance. His own comprehensive policy should cover the damage, however.

An exception would be if there was some sort of negligence or breach of contract on the part of the dealer. Were they obligated to keep it inside or under cover for any particular reason?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Not an insurance expert here, but I agree with others that it should be your brother's insurance company's responsibility, if he has coverage for such things in his policy. Certainly not the dealership's responsibility.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
One day in the hot sun will pop most of the damage; car dealers know this as they see it often in states like CO. His comprehensive insurance should cover the rest.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Your brother should read his insurance paperwork before getting enraged.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
When it rains it pours...and some times hails. I wonder how much all this has killed his Elantra's resale value?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
Act of God was explained to me as being defined by the interval of time that passes between occurrences. As an example, if the last time it hailed was three hundred years ago then it was an Act of God. If the region gets hail storms once a year then it's not an Act of God. This definition may not apply in your state and may apply in others. Insurance actuaries know what regions get regular weather related damage and of what nature and will include it in your coverage and your premium.

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why does Priority believe God would damage my brothers car?

Fwiw, I just spoke to God and He ain't paying for no hail damage.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
quote:
Why does Priority believe God would damage my brothers car?

Fwiw, I just spoke to God and He ain't paying for no hail damage.
Yeah he says the rain and hail have been here since the beginning, your brother's car just got here a year or so ago.

Resale value has likely been impacted a good amount, $7K front end and hail damage? He's better off using his insurance and continuing to drive the car.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Wonder about the inventory of the dealership? I'd imagine there would be a similar amount of damage. Did their insurance decide it was also an "Act of God?"
Point is, if their insurance did cover the damage, then his car would seem to be covered. You might check.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
There were thousands of cars damaged in hail last year by hail in San Antonio, lots of residential roofs, too. USAA had 36,000 auto damage claims from 3 days of hail last April.

The dealership I use told me that each owner's insurance covers it, or not, not them or their insurance.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
One day in the hot sun will pop most of the damage...
That hasn't been my experience

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Wonder about the inventory of the dealership? I'd imagine there would be a similar amount of damage. Did their insurance decide it was also an "Act of God?"
Point is, if their insurance did cover the damage, then his car would seem to be covered. You might check.

That makes no sense. The dealer's insurance would cover the dealer's inventory. Stickman's brother's comprehensive coverage will cover Stickman's brother's vehicle.

Unless there was some sort of agreement to the contrary, or VA insurance law and boilerplate policy language is dramatically different from that of most other states' (which it is not), the dealer is not going to cover this.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post