SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What unusual seasonings and spices do you have at home?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What unusual seasonings and spices do you have at home? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Gumbo file’.

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Jerk Seasoning (makes a great marinade)
Vulcan's Fire Salt

Both from the Spice House

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Shawarma spice from The Spice House

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
We love this garlic salt to which we were introduced by some friends that live in Bavaria. It’s great on chicken, pork, etc.

Posts: 3724 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
We have three 8oz jars of Pappy's. I'm betting that's three times more than anybody else in the entire UK.

Probably the only thing I haven't tried it on so far is rhubarb crumble.

I'll let you'all know how that goes.

Posts: 11324 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
I have some sumac and fenugreek but don't remember why.

Any ideas for those two?

We use sumac pretty often. It's a Middle Eastern/Mediterranean spice. We like to use it when we roast a chicken with onions.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
quote:
We use sumac pretty often. It's a Middle Eastern/Mediterranean spice. We like to use it when we roast a chicken with onions.

Ok ! Thanks

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
First one that comes to mind is Ancho chile powder. Not to be confused with regular "chili powder".

Chili powder is a commonly encountered spice blend consisting of ground red chiles, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and a little bit of cayenne pepper.

Whereas Ancho chile powder is ground dried poblano chiles.

And Adobo sauce. (Not a spice, and not a dried seasoning, but I'd say it qualifies as a seasoning since I use it to add a kick of smoky heat flavor to various dishes.)

Also Cardamom and Coriander, which you don't usually hear about often, but which are used in a lot of Thai and Indian dishes.

quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Tajin

Great stuff when sprinkled on watermelon, with a squeeze of lemon over that!

Also great on slices of cucumber, with lime juice.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Harissa.

I also have a preference for whole spices and use a coffee grinder to blend them after toasting.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
-Berbere
-Shawarma
-Walkerswood Jerk Paste
-Franks Red Hot Powder- recently discovered this stuff in powder form. I'm not a huge fan of Franks generally, but a tablespoon or so of this stuff in a pound of ground beef for burgers is fantastic.
-Manitou Truffle, Parmesan, Black Garlic seasoning- Fantastic on roast veggies and probably anything else you put it on.
-Coriander. Don't really care for it on it's own, but mix just a little bit in with other seasonings and it adds a whole new flavor dimension.

I also usually have a pretty large pepper garden (grew 32 varieties or so last year). I dry the peppers and turn them into powders and I put them on everything. I typically do two blends, one of milder peppers and one of superhots that will melt your taste buds if you get a little heavy handed. The blends are different every year depending on what I grew, so every year it's a slightly different experience!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Not a big curry fan but I have this bottle of Jamaican Curry powder that is fantastic in scrambled eggs Big Grin

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have a fair amount of Indian spices which I get at an Indian grocery - green and black cardamom pods, coriander, turmeric, cumin, star anise, nutmeg (not all that odd). I also have some Thai materials sometimes, too - lemongrass, galangal, and kaffir lime leaves.

Tajin may be odd in some places, but here in Houston, it is common. Just goes to show that it is a matter of taste as to what is odd.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tajin

Great stuff when sprinkled on watermelon, with a squeeze of lemon over that![/QUOTE]

Also great on slices of cucumber, with lime juice.[/QUOTE]

Good ideas. But the best use of tajin is to salt the rim of a spicy margarita glass.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Forgot celery seed from my opening list. Use it in all kinds of salads.

quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
...the best use of tajin is to salt the rim of a spicy margarita glass.

Or for Bloody Mary's which is how I was introduced to it. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
One that I stumbled across earlier this year.

Beau Monde Seasoning

Posts: 3201 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20101 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add this one:

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tajin

Try it on Mexican Street Corn...

https://letsdishrecipes.com/me...orn-torchys-copycat/

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grow super hot peppers. Last year was a bumper crop, so I got a dehydrator to make my own chili powder.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/...vp35OA8vYgCrlM6ozyvI

It's a mix of 5 or 6 different peppers. The least hot is ghost and the hottest is probably the chocolate bhutlah.

A lil bit goes a long way. Wink

Posts: 220 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: May 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post