SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What unusual seasonings and spices do you have at home?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What unusual seasonings and spices do you have at home? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
I'll start with a few Big Grin
-- Tajin
-- Shichimi Togarashi
-- Za'atar with Hyssop
-- Tahini
-- Everything Bagel Seasoning

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saffron for paella.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Who determines what would make some seasonings and spices to be considered unusual???? What you might consider normal by be just the opposite to someone else. ...................................................... drill sgt

Posts: 2008 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Tajin

Great stuff when sprinkled on watermelon, with a squeeze of lemon over that!

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Who determines what would make some seasonings and spices to be considered unusual???? What you might consider normal by be just the opposite to someone else.

What terminology would you have me use to solicit input about seasonings and spices folks might have that are not perceived to be commonly used by others? Roll Eyes

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Tajin

Great stuff when sprinkled on watermelon, with a squeeze of lemon over that!

Agreed. Local market has Picasso melons (step up from Honeydew) currently in stock and adding a sprinkle of Tajin really adds a nice zing!

USN (RET), COTEP #192

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:

Saffron for paella.
I haven't had paella for several years. There was a local seafood restaurant chain called "Shells" that had a decent paella.

While I was working at the SEAT auto factory in Barcelona, one of the vendors trying to sell us their equipment took us to Valencia to see the operation at the Ford factory. They hosted us for lunch at the restaurant that claimed to have created paella, long time ago.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30673 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a whole mess of Indian spices and dried herbs that Indian folks use.
Also have Harissa powder which I got from our local Moroccan/Tunisian/Algerian grocery store. Plus, I also have a big bottle of Berbere powder also from my Moroccan friends.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Berbere

Posts: 12684 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Fennel salt.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Shrimp paste.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

-- Za'atar with Hyssop

I have some of that. It's wonderful stuff. Kinda like oregano only a lot better.

- Baharat
- Sumac
- Fennel pollen
- Shawarma seasoning mix

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I always keep McCormick Roasted Ground Cumin on my spice shelf. Plain cumin is pretty common, but roasted ground cumin – not so much. And it’s MUCH better.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Love me some Aleppo pepper and homemade garam masala.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I make a mix for seafood…

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Red Hot Riplets.

upload photos

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I have some sumac and fenugreek but don't remember why.

Any ideas for those two?

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Juniper berries. Use it in brines and making Sauerbraten

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Truffle oil

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
We have many but not all on this thread. We buy if an interesting recipe calls for a particular spice. I make my own Old Bay Seasoning and Tony Chacheries and make an empty Mayonnaise jar full at a time.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8357 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post