SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What can you tell me about these German beers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What can you tell me about these German beers? Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
A little backstory, during the last eclipse a few years ago, I think it was 2017, I was in Singapore and met one of our German field service techs. He was new to the company and they sent him to Singapore to help with a huge order of machines we were trying to fulfill.

He knew squat about the machines and I took him in under my wing for the 2 or 3 weeks I was there. We became good friends and I've taken him shooting in his past visits the the US.

So he showed up this week and he was excited to see me. He brought me a package of different beer from his home region. He caught me as I was leaving today and told me to open the package when I get home. So here's what I got!

Can anyone tell me anything about these?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5406 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Can’t help with most, but Spaten is my favorite of all the German beers I HAVE tried. German lagers are my favorite beers in the world, and it appears that all these are lagers.

Posts: 13275 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Me, too. Spaten is a favourite and have it wherever possible.

Apologies, not familiar with the others, but have a coworker friend in Germany who could more than likely comment on all...

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
<snip>
German lagers are my favorite beers in the world, and it appears that all these are lagers.

My favorite beer in all the world is Stiegl Gold, from Austria, where it’s known as Goldbräu. A lager that I buy in half liter cans. The right size for a beer IMO. Happy to say that I’m sipping a glass right now. It’s 8 PM here in San Diego. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8972 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Yall can have the Spaten; I'll take the Augustiner.

Posts: 11169 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Spaten and Augistiner are both very good. Hard to go wrong with most German beers, really.

Posts: 17158 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The left 3 are all from Munich which is in southern Bavaria.

The Urfränkisches Landbier is made by Kesselring Brewery which is in Marktsteft, northern Bavaria in the region of Franconia. One is a dark lager, one is a light (Hell) lager.

Not familiar with the one on the right.

They’re all lagers of one variety or another which is very typical German, they invented and perfected the style.

I think the Germans still make the best beer in the world!

These are NOT twist off caps BTW, get your bottle opener out.

Posts: 33827 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Schlager Altbier
I drank this one night, that am leak had a full head on it like the pilsner it was served in and I realized THIS was a very good beer indeed!
Every German beer I drank packed a kick and I never had one I didn't like.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8361 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Yum! Your going to enjoy them.

German biers are my favorite as well. Especially the hard to get Augustiner.

Posts: 3728 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
All you need to know is that you should keep them chilled (not ice cold) and enjoy. Your friend got you some good beer.

Posts: 13744 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
You drink and tell us, please.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5965 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about them, but sent them to me and I'll give you a full report.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I can't speak of those specific biers but I can tell you I went to Germany for 2 weeks in 2014.

We visited Regensburg and went to the Weltenberger Kloster monastery where they have been brewing bier since the year 1050. Holy moley they brew some amazing bier.

We visited Bamberg which is known for its "Rauchbier" or smoked bier.

and of course we hit Munich for Oktoberfest and also visited the original Hofbrauhaus.

After I came back, it was like 2 years till I could drink an american beer again. Stuff was terrible compared to the German Biers...

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info! Looks like the Augustiner and the Spaten are the ones I won't share with my wife!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5406 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
They will all pour with a very thick, creamy head which is also a very traditional German thing. I'm always disappointed at all the near-flat, no-head-having craft beers we have everywhere here in America Frown

This is the Urfränkisches Landbier poured:

I love that the Germans pride themselves on a good head on a beer.

Posts: 33827 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
<snip>
German lagers are my favorite beers in the world, and it appears that all these are lagers.

My favorite beer in all the world is Stiegl Gold, from Austria, where it’s known as Goldbräu. A lager that I buy in half liter cans. The right size for a beer IMO. Happy to say that I’m sipping a glass right now. It’s 8 PM here in San Diego. Smile

Two friends went to college in Vienna and brought back a few from time to time. Stiegl Gold can be had here in Pueblo and it is very good.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Augustinerbräu is one of the world's best. But it's only sold in Bavaria. You can see that bottle is marked Exportbier, so it's not going to be the same and the real good stuff is from the tap anyway. But you probably can't go wrong with any of them. I haven't seen those except for Spaten for sale in the US.

Posts: 3541 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I've had the Spaten,

delish

the Helles (as they are often spelled here) is a good beer, but I have not had the ones listed,

but yall are wrong,, the best beer is Belgian, followed up by English ales,,,, Big Grin

seriously tho, a great gift to receive!!!!

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I think the best beer in the world is the one I'm drinking at any given time.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All good German beers. Put them in the fridge and drink from a frozen glass. DO NOT DRINK FROM THE BOTTLE

The one's labeled Hells (spelled Helles in the English world) are Lagers, they'll have a similar taste to a Pilsner since they both use the same ingredients. Fire up some sausages or any roast meat dish.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post