SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PSA...Dorco USA shutting down their website
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA...Dorco USA shutting down their website Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
Just got an e-mail. Seems their shutting down their website effective 31-AUG, but they will still sell on Amazon...

quote:
After 7 years of selling you awesome razors at a great price, we will be shutting down DorcoUSA.com. We will officially be shutting down the site on August 31, 2019, and will be running a closeout sale on DorcoUSA.com until then. Free shipping will be offered on orders over $25 — stock up on all of your favorites!

There were many factors that led to this decision, but don’t worry – after August 31st, you’ll still be able to get Dorco razors online on Amazon!

Thank you again for being an awesome Dorco customer!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'd do the same, why take on the risk of running your own ecommerce site with stolen files of CC numbers, address etc, not to mention the huge amount of money for IT staff, programmers, technology, eliminate it all and pay someone that does it professionally.

Everyone goes to Amazon anyway, why fight it..

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Has anyone notice any degradation of Dorco quality in the past year or so?

I've been using them for about 5 years now and it seems like their Pace 6 razor doesn't last as long as it used to before it's dull and I need a new cartridge. Something is up.

I'm going to give Harry's another try.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been using them for about 5 years now and it seems like their Pace 6 razor doesn't last as long as it used to before it's dull and I need a new cartridge. Something is up.

I don't have a baseline and everyone's mileage may vary. Based on the first set of 6+ cartridges I ordered, the longevity is good, better than the Gillete I used to use.

I'm getting about 4-6 weeks of use (shaving about 3-4 times per week). I don't really have a lot of facial hair but that's about 2x the life of the Gillette I was using. My gauge on this includes: 1) razor burn after shaving, 2) ease / smoothness of pulling the razor, 3) closeness of the shave.

Gillette: my skin would feel hot and irritable after using the cartridge for a couple of weeks. Dorco feels new still at 4-6 weeks.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would stock up when they had sales and have not needed to place an order yet this year. I dont remember the last price I paid and if the amazon price is regular retail.

Posts: 5466 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
anybody have a coupon code?

Posts: 8728 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Well this sucks. Frown

I'm all out and tried to find some and they only are on Amazon now and the prices are MUCH higher.

I may have to give Harry's another try.

The days of getting great deals and stocking up on 6 months of razor cartridges seem to be over now with Dorco.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
You might try Westcoastshaving.com for the blades. I think they sent some of the Dorco blades to me in a sampler pack. They might even have the Dorco cartridges.

Posts: 3568 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
You might try Westcoastshaving.com for the blades. I think they sent some of the Dorco blades to me in a sampler pack. They might even have the Dorco cartridges.

Be careful w/ those Dorco DE blades. The ones I tried were horrible, for me anyway.
I've no experience w/ the cartridges.

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I bought a 100 pack of Dorco blades 5 years ago. I'm on my last few right now.

They'll remove hair.

Last year I bought a sampler pack of 100 blades. 10 each, various brands. All of them are better than the Dorco blades to varying degrees.

I like the Feather blades best. They stand out, to me, as the clear winner. The rest work pretty good as well, all better than Dorco.

The blades from Merkur, Astra, Derby, Wilkinson Sword, Shark and Personna all seem to give great results as well and aren't far behind Feather.

It's a subjective thing though, so everyone will have different thoughts on the subject.

The Dorco blades do seem to last the longest though. Maybe because they start out less sharp, they don't feel so different after a week.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Has anyone found any decent Dorco alternatives out there?

I don't want to sign up for any "club" crap with Dollar Shave Club. Just let me order the blades I need when I need them. Roll Eyes

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

I don't want to sign up for any "club" crap with Dollar Shave Club. Just let me order the blades I need when I need them. Roll Eyes

I’ve been happy with DSC blades. I keep my account suspended on their website, so I don’t get blades every month. I order when I’m ready and get enough to last a year at a time. It’s in your Account Settings.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:

Be careful w/ those Dorco DE blades. The ones I tried were horrible, for me anyway.
I've no experience w/ the cartridges.

Yes I know... I use Feather blades Smile

Posts: 3568 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I bought the Harry's razors at Walmart and was pleasantly surprised. The handle feels cheap but I think the blades are better quality than Dorco. They will be my go to razor.

Posts: 5466 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:

I’ve been happy with DSC blades. I keep my account suspended on their website, so I don’t get blades every month. I order when I’m ready and get enough to last a year at a time. It’s in your Account Settings.

Well they are Dorco blades so...

Thanks, I didn't know you could do that.

I'm still going to give Harry's another try. They let you just order blades when you want, right?

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ Yes.

Or you can give them a phone call and ask them, basically you are just disabling the monthly auto shipment. I think there is a 6 month time limit for this, so I just renew the auto stop thing so I don't get blades every month. At one point I had something like a 9 month supply on hand and more coming every month.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post