SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1 week New England trip in June. Must do suggestions?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1 week New England trip in June. Must do suggestions? Login/Join 
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted
We will be taking a week long trip, 2 days in Boston, 2 in Portland, Maine, and 3 in North Conway, New Hampshire. My son was supposed to get married in NH in 2020, and we had booked this itinerary. COVID shut that down. Wedding happened, a much smaller affair at Lake Tahoe.

We decided to take the original trip this year as it sounded like fun. What are some must sees, dos and eats on this trip plan? Already thinking about visiting Sig. I spent a lot of time in Boston in the 1980s, and I'm Navy. USS Constitution is already on the repeat list.

Posts: 4024 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Steamers n beer. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
In Boston- you have probably done all these but the Old North Church, Freedom Trail, Lexington and Concord are all good things to see.

Posts: 1360 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Take a class or two at Sig Academy in Epping NH.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1906 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to bypass and visit Cape Cod, its just a slight detour. Great weather and still not too busy here. Lots to see, do, and great places to eat.

Posts: 680 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Take your time. Go up Rt. 1 from Boston to Portland, rather than the Turnpike. Enjoy the old road. Stop at the Kittery Trading post.

On your trip from Portland to North Conway, There's an old country store in Frye that is worth a stop.

In North Conway, hit Cathedral Ledge and Diana's Baths for short hikes.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As you’re driving up to Portland, you may want to check out The Steakhouse in Wells Maine! Most go to Maine for fresh seafood, until they discover The Steakhouse!
They have an outstanding ribeye, and the baked beans might be better!
No reservations, opens 4-4:30, and people will stand in line for hours!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Not on many "must see" list but While in Boston a stroll through the Granary Cemetery is interesting. Worth the hour or two. You will recognize many of the names on the markers. John Hancock, Paul Revere, Franklin, even Mother Goose.

https://www.trolleytours.com/b...anary-burying-ground

Posts: 3204 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Walk the Freedom Trail in Boston.

Drive Route 1A along the NH seacoast. It's the best coastline in New England. Of course, I grew up there so I'm biased. Stop at the Beach Plum at North Hampton Beach for the best lobster roll in New England.

Posts: 2337 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Mount Washington Auto Road or Cog Railway. It ain't Pike's Peak but the weather can be worse so pick your day carefully.

quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Steamers n beer. Wink

Good luck finding steamers for a reasonable price. My wife's cousin runs a restaurant at the beach and her cost for steamers is up 150% over last Fall. Eek

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3456 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I agree with Arties suggestion to drive up RT1 and hit Kittery Trading Post along the way. If I had the time in NH I might take the Kancamagus Highway to Lincoln and then work my way back to Boston via RT93. Driving through Franconia Notch is some nice scenery with several easy pull offs for viewing. Stop in Campton at the little red school house for a lobster roll if that’s your thing. Maybe hit the lakes region/Winnipesaukee.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
Battle ship cove, Plymouth rock, Mayflower replica are all pretty close to each other in Plymouth, Ma.

phil

Posts: 2387 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
If weather permits tubing down the Saco River is fun. Rent a tube and cooler tube. Bring sandwiches and beer in the cooler. Website is sacorivertubing.com. I book the 5 mile and spend all day on the river. Usually I go in July and the river is slow so they put me on the 3 mile and it still takes all day.

Moat Mountain Smoke House is good. Overall 3 days is actually too long unless you go hiking or similar. There is some fun at the ski place there too, mountain coaster or something like that.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12446 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I grew up in New England (NW Connecticut) decades ago and many day trips and vacations were spent there.
There are so many things to see and do there that having a week isn't close to enough time. I'd pick out a several that sound interesting and do your research online to narrow it down to just two or three. Also have a couple of backup's, in case one of the primary picks doesn't work out.

If you try to see too many you'll just spend too much time driving around and not get to really enjoy any. Most of that area takes a long time to get anywhere due to the congestion and and an older road system.

My personal preference for ocean is Maine over Massachusetts. You could spend several days from the New Hampshire border up to 75 miles north driving along the coastal areas and visiting the small towns. Lobster country for sure if that's what you like and scenic. Beaches are beautiful but the water is very very cold for swimming.

Historical-and out to Lexington & Concord, the Boston area has a number of Revolutionary War places that are relatively close to each other.

Mountains and hiking or outdoors-I'd catch on another trip as there are lots of places with similar beautiful sights and this would take up a lot of time that you don't have.

This area would be a great place to take a summer with a motor home and travel around at a leisurely pace and never run out of new things to see.

Posts: 9537 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Walk the Freedom Trail in Boston.

Drive Route 1A along the NH seacoast. It's the best coastline in New England. Of course, I grew up there so I'm biased. Stop at the Beach Plum at North Hampton Beach for the best lobster roll in New England.

Taking Rt 1 during the warmer months, especially on the weekend would take an entire day of stop and go traffic for miles along the NH coastline.

Any courses at the Academy are quickly filling up or already full so if that's the intention, book now.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Mount Washington Auto Road or Cog Railway. It ain't Pike's Peak but the weather can be worse so pick your day carefully.

quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Steamers n beer. Wink

Good luck finding steamers for a reasonable price. My wife's cousin runs a restaurant at the beach and her cost for steamers is up 150% over last Fall. Eek

Oh snap!!

I visited for a week in 2007 (went up to Kennebunkport) and had those and/or the cold lobster sammich at least one a day.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Lobster?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5342 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just some random thoughts for Boston and points north - very casual but interesting stops.

Boston - Green Dragon Tavern

The Green Dragon Tavern has a long and rich history, playing an important part in the freedom of Boston during the War of Independence. Established in 1654, The Green Dragon was a favourite haunt of Paul Revere (whom we considered a close neighbour) and John Hancock (whose brother lived next door!). It has been ratified by Daniel Webster – the famous historian, that it was indeed in the Green Dragon that the plans for the invasion of Lexington and Concord were overheard thus starting the famous ride of Paul Revere.

https://www.greendragonboston.com/

Red’s Kitchen and Tavern - route 1 north Peabody (heading north toward Ipswich and Portsmouth, Kittery out of Boston)

https://www.redskitchenandtavern.com/

The Clambox - heading north from Boston

Our roadside restaurant is located about 30 miles north of Boston in the historic beach town of Ipswich. Generations of New England families have been coming over to enjoy the finest fried seafood for more than 85 years.

https://clamboxipswich.com/

Portsmouth NH - on the way north to Kittery, Maine

https://www.goportsmouthnh.com/

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Taking Rt 1 during the warmer months, especially on the weekend would take an entire day of stop and go traffic for miles along the NH coastline.

I don't think so. Get off 95 at the Hampton tolls, drive down 101 to Hampton Beach, turn left and drive north up Rt 1A thru Hampton, North Hampton, Rye, New Castle, and Portsmouth. Get back on 95. I've driven around the NH seacoast my entire like as a native. It'll take about an hour or so, plus stops. It's only 13 miles of coastline. Wink Enjoy.

Oh, and definitely spend half a day in Portsmouth and eat at a restaurant on the water on Ceres/Bow Street.

Posts: 2337 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Lots of great suggestions! Thanks.

Posts: 4024 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post