SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Microsoft Excel Gurus please step inside
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microsoft Excel Gurus please step inside Login/Join 
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted
I have an indentured Bill of Material (BOM). It is not indentured to my liking and would like to modify it. Instead of the indenturing being 1 or 2 or 3, etc., they put indenture dots in front of the part number. For instance, .1234, ..5678, ...abcd, ....efgh, etc. Here is what I would like to do.

.1234 = 1
..5678 = 2
...abcd = 3
....efgh = 4

Is there a formula to do this? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Posts: 1934 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
This should get you started:
https://exceljet.net/formula/c...characters-in-a-cell

You can modify the formula to this since you're only wanting to count dots =LEN(B3)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B3,".",""))

JP

Posts: 2075 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
You can indent the text in 1 cell or a group of cells by all the same amount of indent. Highlight cell or group of cells, go to Format Cells, then Alignment. There is a little box to adjust the indent.

I don't know if there is a formula to automatically increase the indent of each successive row by a set amount.

Posts: 4061 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
jprebb,

That did the trick!! Thank you so much. You saved me HOURS of time. This forum is awesome for so many reasons!

Posts: 1934 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Away:
jprebb,

That did the trick!! Thank you so much. You saved me HOURS of time. This forum is awesome for so many reasons!

Glad I could help!

Posts: 2075 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post